Home improvements - time the house had some TLC!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I ripped the rest of the larder cupboard stud wall down this morning, there's something deeply satisfying about smashing up plasterboard after a hard week :laugh:

Originally I was going to leave some of the studwork in place, but it was all slightly loose and made sense to rip it all out in the end.

I put the frame in place and levelled it up, packing the left hand edge with plastic spacers then screwing it to the blockwork...

At this point I popped a couple of the doors on just to check it was all still properly square - everything checked out so I cut some timber to pack out the right hand side against the block and screwed that side to the wall too. I've just roughly hung the 4 main doors then found a problem I didn't spot last night with the top door, but more about that in sec. Here it is with the frame fully secured and the 4 main doors roughly hung, still to be adjusted and door knobs to be fitted...

So the top door doesn't line up with the hinges either horizontally or vertically :laugh: I haven't measured how far out it is yet, but I can only assume the company I bought the pre-drilled door from ignored the suggested installation dimensions of the hinge manufacturer :rolleyes: The distance between hinges of the door mounting holes are about 10mm closer together than the frame required, and about 5mm too high so the door would clash with those below it if it were possible to attach it, which it's not :laugh: Fortunately this combination of geometry errors means it's a pretty easy fix, I'm now going to design some spacers quickly which will fit in the holes in the frame on either side and provide new mounting points for the hinge assembly so it should then all line up properly :wacko: I'll get going on that now then fit some door knobs while I'm waiting for them to print :laugh:

I knew it was going too well... :whistle:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
The spacers are now printing - here's one of them, the others just a mirror image...

The two pips will locate in the original location holes, then the hinges will locate in the offset holes on the other side, 3mm higher. The spacers are 8.5mm thick to correct the 17mm difference in hinge spacing between frame and door :shy: Not a small error then :laugh:

Anyway, they should be done printing in the next half an hour or so which will give me plenty of time to have them fitted before dinner all being well. In the meantime I've adjusted all the doors and fitted the knobs 😊

Time for a little tidy up now before the boss comes round to inspect my work :okay:

We have this pattern in the porch from Wickes large tiles. For the hearth I had to do it the proper way with individual porcelain tiles cut to size with a wet saw

Attachments

• 16490019068496265248533476807434.jpg
    16490019068496265248533476807434.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 16490019213026220849075709436941.jpg
    16490019213026220849075709436941.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
All done for today now 😊

The spacers worked a treat, here's the first one before I fitted the hinge...

The door clicked straight on to the hinges when I offered it up, great success. here it is with the doors open and closed.

Next job when I get a minute will be to build a small timber frame above and to the right of it so I can board and plaster when the time comes.

I will need to empty the cupboard at some point so I can paint and install the top shelf - at the moment anything placed in the top cupboard will fall on to the tumble dryer, or straight to the floor :laugh: I have warned MrsBssll... :whistle:

Time for a shower now before we head out for some dinner 😊

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
looks great but I'd have gone for hinges that allow the LH doors to open 180 degrees... the open doors look a bit in the way only opening 100 degrees.

To be honest I was using up some hinges that came with the kitchen - they double counted so I've got a few left still :laugh: I agree with you though, so I've just been on the website of the hinge manufacturer and have found some 170 degree opening ones that appear to have the same fixing dimensions and brackets so I've ordered some - if they're a straight swap as it would appear they should be it's an easy win, thanks for the suggestion :okay::becool:

@JhnBssll keep hold of the spare hinges!

Our kitchen is about 15 years old, it’s a Howdens joinery one but for love no money could I find matching new hinges to replace worn out ones with the same dimensions. I’ve found myself re-drilling the fixings in the carcass of a few cupboards with the nearest standard ones I could find!

Also, if you can order some spare handles, it’s worthwhile. When we moved in there was a damaged one but we couldn’t find an exact replica anywhere but managed to find one very similar after days of searching countless shops. In the end a local shop and their spares box came up trumps!

The wife detests the stippled ceilling in the bedroom. After a bit of research I got a tub of X-Tex from Toolstation. The blue gel paints on. Leave for a few hrs. Spray with water if it is drying out. Stippled paint comes off easily with a scraper but is a bit soft and sticky. I caught most in a plastic bag but laid a good paint drop cloth and a cheap thin plastic one on top to catch bits.
X-Tex is supposed to be non toxic, foesnt smell and is safe for artex even with asbestos ie no dust.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
More progress on the internal walls yesterday. I've got a few bits boarded and have started constructing the cupboard door frame which I'll continue with later.

I've used acoustic plasterboard in this area, it's suprising how much road noise has already been eliminated just with a single skin with no doors fitted! Once the second skin is up with the rockwool acoustic insulation between them it should be even better :okay: MrsBssll doesnt want to hear any toilet noises in the living room, I've told her I can at least minimise them but no promises have been made :laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Spent a few hours tinkering with a new watering system for the front bed and pots today as I noticed a few of the new shrubs weren't green anymore :shy: We're notorious for forgetting to water things so an automatic watering setup seemed the obvious answer and I was really surprised how cheap the bits have got!

I ran a hose down the side of the house from the tap where I've fitted a 4 branch manifold and a timer on one of the outlets. At the end I've fitted a smaller manifold for the microbore pipe and have run one to the front bed and another to the pots. I've got 3 spigots free on the manifold which I'll likely use to feed drippers in some hanging baskets at a later date.

Here's one of the little sprinklers in the acer pot...

And here are 6 more mine sprinklers in the front bed with a selection of green and brown plants :laugh:

The central plant is a rhododendron with red/brown leaves and is actually healthy as far as I can tell, with lots of green shoots visible up close. Hopefully it will recover, and the two Hebe's seem quite happy. I think 5 of the 6 lavendar have had it though :laugh: I'll see how things go over the next month or so and pop some more stuff in later 😊

Oh, and theres my reflection in the window :laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
My hair isn't receding too much yet but I'd say you were spot on with 'rough around the edges' :laugh: Besides, I'm not a tradesman, just a keen tryer :laugh:

I did some more prep for plastering in the living room this afternoon. I've finished the boarding on this side of the studwork and put the metal corner trims in place so the walls are ready now. I've also trimmed the ceiling back to a joist in preparation for boarding but I need to run some cables through there before I can close it up. The CCTV, alarm, router and sky box will all be housed in the cupboard so there's plenty of wires to run still, perhaps a job for tomorrow 😊

I've started putting a bit of plasterboard up in the hall now too, this bit has two wall boxes cut in for the hall, loo and outside lights plus the toilet fan isolator at the top.

I need to box around the structural steel and clad it with fireproof board before I go much further, I'll need to send photos of it off to the building inspector for signoff and will want confirmation I've done it right before I go too far :laugh:

postman

Legendary Member
Home improvement at our end the windows are being done Thursday and Friday hooray.What a difference no more howling draughts looking forward to a little warmer house.

Top Bottom