Home improvements - time the house had some TLC!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Not that you need any advice....looking good.
But couple of pointers 😁 When skimming allways two coats,first coat bit thicker.Let fist coat dry until you can just about see your finger print in it,don't overthink the finish.Just a quick flatten with your trowel.Second coat on leave to go off a bit....don't rush messing with it ! Then final trowel up,polish whatever you want to call it.Use a wet brush/paint brush for angles/corners to brush in.Some like to use a spray bottle with water for troweling up.You can polish plaster to a glass like finish but it's a bas#ard to paint !
Sorry for my two penneth worth...looks good 👍

Nice tips ! My plastering is terrible but willing to give stuff a go. I’ve watched plenty videos and it’s made to look easy . …….

Adam4868

Guru
Nice tips ! My plastering is terrible but willing to give stuff a go. I’ve watched plenty videos and it’s made to look easy . …….
Lol...you tube makes anything look easy.Practice makes perfect....don't panic on the first coat it doesn't have to be perfect just get it on.Second coat will flat out any inconsistency.All about timing so have everything to hand clean water etc.Last allways remember it's better to mix more than you need than run short halfway through a wall or ceiling 😁
Ok sorry don't want to derail the thread any more !

icowden

Veteran
Lol...you tube makes anything look easy.Practice makes perfect....don't panic on the first coat it doesn't have to be perfect just get it on.Second coat will flat out any inconsistency.All about timing so have everything to hand clean water etc.Last allways remember it's better to mix more than you need than run short halfway through a wall or ceiling 😁
Ok sorry don't want to derail the thread any more !

I've always felt that plastering is more of an art than a science.

I can't plaster.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Progress update - more studwork completed, some acoustic insulation added and more areas boarded today :okay: I also took some time to re-wire the outside lights - there is a junction box that is now inaccessible above the new ceiling so I removed all the screw terminal connectors and replaced with Wago maintenance free connectors and boxes before I sealed it in :okay:

Here's the view in through the front door to the partially boarded hall way; loo off to the right and living room straight ahead.

20220605_204108.jpg

These are both taken inside the loo, its a bit dark in there now the walls are boarded and there are no lights yet 😄

20220605_204138.jpg

20220605_204127.jpg

MrsBssll was out so I took the opportunity to make a mess in the living room :laugh: Unfortunately I failed to clear it up before she got home :whistle: Whoops! I'll try and do a bit more tomorrow as I've got the day off work :okay: I think most of the tasks that needed doing before the electrician's return are now done though so anything else before then is a bonus :becool:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That looks very like the old sofa that I am sitting on! :laugh:

Has it got retractable leg rests, and if so have the cables broken from the release handles to the mechanisms? Both cables broke on this one, a year apart!

icowden

Veteran
Certainly true, but it wouldn't have been much of a project then would it :smile: I'm dragging this one out I know but there's no pressure to finish on a set date so I'm just having fun with it :smile:
How have you managed to square this lack of set date with Mrs JhnBssll ?!! Just looking for tips here... :whistle:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
How have you managed to square this lack of set date with Mrs JhnBssll ?!! Just looking for tips here... :whistle:

Was a keen diyer myself however now only set small projects and leave long lengthy stuff to the trades ! Currently isolating with covid and kitchen fitters ripping out kitchen . Should be done in a fortnight! Where as my last kitchen fit I did myself took three months lol !!

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran

To be honest it's partly due to her unreasonable demands that its dragging out this long - she was adamant we had working plumbing and heating over winter for example. It would have been much quicker if I'd been able to decomission everything and live in a tent, but that was apparently a silly idea :rolleyes:

Certainly true, but it wouldn't have been much of a project then would it :smile: I'm dragging this one out I know but there's no pressure to finish on a set date so I'm just having fun with it :smile:

Once you've finished all of this, you're going to be a world expert in drumming your fingers and kicking your heels.

You must have forgotten how to sit down and relax, if in fact you ever knew. :laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've skimmed the ceiling today - went pretty well so I'm feeling quite pleased with myself :laugh: Don't get me wrong, it's not perfect, but for my 3rd(?) ever day of plastering I'm more than happy with it :laugh:

20220611_142008.jpg

20220611_141856.jpg

The other job I've done today was to cut and fix one piece of timber in the cupboard to attach socket back boxes so the electrician has half a chance on Monday. He's primarily here to fit the new aircon unit but I'm hoping he gets a chance to finish and test the electrics too, there's not a huge amount to do.

20220611_182708.jpg

I've got a slot at the tip booked tomorrow so I'll load the van up in the morning and clear the pile from down the side where the new outdoor unit is going :okay:

It'll be good to get the electrics done as the ball will be firmly back in my court to finish the job... :blush:

I heard back from building control during the week, they're happy with the pictures of the fireproofed steelwork so I can go ahead and plaster over that now too. They need to visit before I backfill the drainage, but I've yet to dig that so no hurry :whistle::laugh: Other than that and the electrical certificate I'm pretty much there with building control :becool: There's light at the end of the tunnel...

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
The aircon is installed downstairs now :okay: He's made a nice job of concealing all the cables and pipework within the studwork so I can board over it in the near future :okay:

20220613_152640.jpg

20220613_152656.jpg

Externally he's tagged it on to the existing installation quite nicely - the refrigerant pipework pops out of the wall about 100mm from the existing pipework so he's tee'd it in to the existing trunking, the new bit of black trunking just needs painting to match the old stuff now :okay:

20220613_195505.jpg

Then the pipework extends past the original condenser to the new one, identical but 2 years newer 😊

20220613_195429.jpg

Once the drains are in and the fence is built these will be nicely tucked away and out of sight. They're both incredibly quiet so you won't know they're there :okay:

Top Bottom