Home improvements - time the house had some TLC!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Just popped a little radiator on the wall in the hall 😊

Brackets measured and fitted, chases for pipework cut out:

20220703_130424.jpg

I cut the chases about 30mm deep and a little over 10mm wide so the pipes can sit fairly deep in the wall. Here it is piped up:

20220703_143627.jpg

To cover it back over I've pushed in some rockwool insulation then used deep gap filler to cover over. It's supposed to be ok to depths of 20mm and this was only 8-10mm so should do the job. The idea of the rockwool was two fold, it'll allow the pipes to move slightly when fitting and removing the radiator but also it should prevent the filler from cracking with thermal expansion. Thats the theory anyway, we'll see what happens once I've filled this bit of the heating circuit. Hopefully the wall doesnt start getting damp :laugh:

Here it is with the first rough coat of filler applied - I'm now waiting for it to harden before I can go over it again and smooth it off 😊 If it works I'll do the same with the living room rad and towel rail in the loo :okay:

20220703_144851.jpg

I've bought some pipe covers to fit to hide where they come out of the wall but haven't collected them from screwfix yet. A large amount of the filler will be covered by floor and skirting anyway so should be fine.

The wall box is accessible still, I have placed the rad high enough to prevent obstruction. This is where the phone line comes in but the master socket was extended in to the living room by a BT openreach engineer last year so there'll just be a blanking plate here. I was glad when the broadband was still working after I'd fitted the wall brackets as I knew I was drilling pretty close to where the extension cable is routed :laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Decided to start putting the floor down in the hall now to try and protect the plumbing :okay: Didn't finish before I had to pack up but a good start 😊

20220703_172828.jpg

20220703_172844.jpg

It would seem I've sodded up the measurements for the doormat though, might have to make it a little bigger ;)

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've had a nice refreshing break from DIY but decided it was time to crack on. I've decided to get the kitchen finished first so have spent the last few days working on the laundry cupboard. First job was to build the studwork and plasterboard it...

20220908_171143.jpg

This was very much the easy bit. I'd been thinking about how to make neat edges around the doors for a while and came up with what I hoped would be a cunning plan... I cut some bits of nice straight timber to length and made a frame which I then clamped to the door frame.

20220908_200441.jpg

The idea being I could now plaster up to the frame and use it as a form, then remove it once the plaster had gone off... The only question was whether the plaster would come away with the form, or stay on the wall :laugh: Only one way to find out...

20220909_112711.jpg

20220909_142653.jpg

Great success!! Here it is again with the doors refitted to check I'd made the form the right size :laugh:

20220909_150718.jpg

I still need to make and fit the top shelf in the laundry cupboard, perhaps another job for the weekend but we shall see.

There are plenty of jobs left in the kitchen once the cupboard is finished - remove coving, replaster ceiling, remove old extractor hood, fit new extractor hood, grout tiles and of course decorating so plenty to keep me busy :okay:

We were going to leave the ceiling in this room for now, but MrsBssll had an incident with the shower in the bathroom directly above which has forced our hand :shy::laugh:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I've had a nice refreshing break from DIY but decided it was time to crack on. I've decided to get the kitchen finished first so have spent the last few days working on the laundry cupboard. First job was to build the studwork and plasterboard it...

View attachment 660476

This was very much the easy bit. I'd been thinking about how to make neat edges around the doors for a while and came up with what I hoped would be a cunning plan... I cut some bits of nice straight timber to length and made a frame which I then clamped to the door frame.

View attachment 660477

The idea being I could now plaster up to the frame and use it as a form, then remove it once the plaster had gone off... The only question was whether the plaster would come away with the form, or stay on the wall :laugh: Only one way to find out...

View attachment 660478

View attachment 660479

Great success!! Here it is again with the doors refitted to check I'd made the form the right size :laugh:

View attachment 660480

I still need to make and fit the top shelf in the laundry cupboard, perhaps another job for the weekend but we shall see.

There are plenty of jobs left in the kitchen once the cupboard is finished - remove coving, replaster ceiling, remove old extractor hood, fit new extractor hood, grout tiles and of course decorating so plenty to keep me busy :okay:

We were going to leave the ceiling in this room for now, but MrsBssll had an incident with the shower in the bathroom directly above which has forced our hand :shy::laugh:

Finally………the shakes have stopped. Top job

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
That’s a very handsome cupboard :becool:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Bit more kitchen progress today 😄 I cracked on removing the coving and stripping loose paint and plaster. I then turned my attention to the dead lengths of pipe in the corner above the sink - The ceiling needed patching around them anyway as it was quite damaged so I decided to cut the corner out and see if I could neaten things up. Heres what I was greeted with, minus an old blue towel that dropped on me when I took the board down... Presumably someone somewhere is still looking for it :laugh:

20220910_101055.jpg

After a short time I had created a nice pile of scrap copper...

20220910_102932.jpg

Much neater up there now! I've since boarded over it at taped the joins ready for plastering...

20220910_105719.jpg

Next I test fitted the new extractor hood to see what modifications would be needed to the ventilation hole and the power socket:

20220910_160847.jpg

Oh bother :wacko: Now I knew this was going to be the case, but I had rather hoped that it would have fixed itself by now. Apparently not, so time to bring out a new toy, my 152mm core drill :laugh:

20220910_171405.jpg

The black and decker drill is about 20 years old and it really did not enjoy itself today - I had to stop a couple of times due to the thick black smoke coming out of it but it soldiered on and got the job done :laugh:

I decided instead of creating an entirely new hole the most sensible approach would be to try and drill diagonally to meet up with the old external grill location - the new hole was also larger than the old one so getting started on the brickwork was tricky but I got there slowly but surely :okay:

20220910_174107.jpg

20220910_172629.jpg

20220910_181723.jpg

20220910_181621.jpg

I'm planning on moving the socket shortly then making good the holes ready for painting over 😊 I might get a chance to do some plastering tomorrow all being well, we shall see!

jowwy

Bit more kitchen progress today 😄 I cracked on removing the coving and stripping loose paint and plaster. I then turned my attention to the dead lengths of pipe in the corner above the sink - The ceiling needed patching around them anyway as it was quite damaged so I decided to cut the corner out and see if I could neaten things up. Heres what I was greeted with, minus an old blue towel that dropped on me when I took the board down... Presumably someone somewhere is still looking for it :laugh:

View attachment 660598

After a short time I had created a nice pile of scrap copper...

View attachment 660600

Much neater up there now! I've since boarded over it at taped the joins ready for plastering...

View attachment 660599

Next I test fitted the new extractor hood to see what modifications would be needed to the ventilation hole and the power socket:

View attachment 660604

Oh bother :wacko: Now I knew this was going to be the case, but I had rather hoped that it would have fixed itself by now. Apparently not, so time to bring out a new toy, my 152mm core drill :laugh:

View attachment 660605

The black and decker drill is about 20 years old and it really did not enjoy itself today - I had to stop a couple of times due to the thick black smoke coming out of it but it soldiered on and got the job done :laugh:

I decided instead of creating an entirely new hole the most sensible approach would be to try and drill diagonally to meet up with the old external grill location - the new hole was also larger than the old one so getting started on the brickwork was tricky but I got there slowly but surely :okay:

View attachment 660607

View attachment 660606

View attachment 660603

View attachment 660602

I'm planning on moving the socket shortly then making good the holes ready for painting over 😊 I might get a chance to do some plastering tomorrow all being well, we shall see!

Just as i was about to take legal action…he posts updates two days in a row.
Top work John

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Just as i was about to take legal action…he posts updates two days in a row.
Top work John

Brace yourself dude, here's another update :ohmy:

I've moved the socket, it was really easy in the end. I just stitch drilled an extra pocket to the right of the socket and gave the core a tap with a chisel and it dropped right out...

20220910_194413.jpg

Then popped the power off and removed the socket and back box, refitted the cable through a different entry point and refitted the backbox in its new position...

20220910_194906.jpg

I even treated the backbox to a grommet, which the installer had obviously deemed unnecessary :whistle: Once moved I pulled the flex vent out to approx the right length and let rip with the expanding foam :laugh:

20220910_195945.jpg

That will have gone off nicely shortly, so I'll trim it back and whiz over it with some ready mix plaster and smooth it over. Other than that I've just spent half an hour giving the kitchen a good clean so it no longer looks like a building site and I'll soon be ready to put my feet up for the evening 😊 More progress tomorrow hopefully :okay:

20220910_203736.jpg

jowwy

Brace yourself dude, here's another update :ohmy:

I've moved the socket, it was really easy in the end. I just stitch drilled an extra pocket to the right of the socket and gave the core a tap with a chisel and it dropped right out...

View attachment 660613

Then popped the power off and removed the socket and back box, refitted the cable through a different entry point and refitted the backbox in its new position...

View attachment 660612

I even treated the backbox to a grommet, which the installer had obviously deemed unnecessary :whistle: Once moved I pulled the flex vent out to approx the right length and let rip with the expanding foam :laugh:

View attachment 660611

That will have gone off nicely shortly, so I'll trim it back and whiz over it with some ready mix plaster and smooth it over. Other than that I've just spent half an hour giving the kitchen a good clean so it no longer looks like a building site and I'll soon be ready to put my feet up for the evening 😊 More progress tomorrow hopefully :okay:

View attachment 660610

Now your just spoiling us……

Top Bottom