Home improvements - time the house had some TLC!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
I've got the ceiling finished and new light up, plus the first coat of colour on the walls :okay: Hopefully it'll only need one more colour coat but I've plenty of paint so no biggy if not.

View attachment 670813

View attachment 670814

View attachment 670815

I need to paint the pipes in the corner and get the skirting sorted, then I need to think about finishing the small strip of wall next to the back door. Not sure what to do there yet :laugh: Skirting is a priority as I have a new american style fridge freezer arriving a week tomorrow and I don't want to have to move it around too much :laugh:

The pipes in the corner and small strip of wall can wait a year or so yet John - there’s no panic ^_^

icowden

Veteran
I need to paint the pipes in the corner and get the skirting sorted, then I need to think about finishing the small strip of wall next to the back door. Not sure what to do there yet :laugh: Skirting is a priority as I have a new american style fridge freezer arriving a week tomorrow and I don't want to have to move it around too much :laugh:
I'm intrigued by the requirement for a double socket just below the ceiling in the corner of the kitchen...

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
TV is correct :okay:😊

Painting of the walls and ceiling is now finished, next jobs are tile grouting and skirting :okay:

20221212_204502.jpg

20221212_204827.jpg

20221214_184629.jpg

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
New fridge freezer arrived this morning 😄

20221219_075943.jpg

Jolly pleased with it. Now waiting on a top cupboard to go above it which I've decided will finish that wall off a treat.

The cruel irony of taking ownership of the largest fridge freezer I've ever had is that it's happened only a few weeks after my wife moved out. We seperated a couple of weeks ago after several months of (non DIY-related) emotional turmoil. It's one of the reasons I've not been so active on the DIY projects and why I've been building the gravel bike instead to try and keep my mind off things. We'd been together 15 years and married for 9 so it's a jolly sad situation, but there we go. I didn't see it coming, that's for sure.

In a way I'm quite glad I've got this project to be cracking on with as christmas would otherwise be a pretty sad and lonely affair this year :sad:

This is what the inside of my new fridge currently looks like...

20221219_093531.jpg

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
New fridge freezer arrived this morning 😄

View attachment 671758

Jolly pleased with it. Now waiting on a top cupboard to go above it which I've decided will finish that wall off a treat.

The cruel irony of taking ownership of the largest fridge freezer I've ever had is that it's happened only a few weeks after my wife moved out. We seperated a couple of weeks ago after several months of (non DIY-related) emotional turmoil. It's one of the reasons I've not been so active on the DIY projects and why I've been building the gravel bike instead to try and keep my mind off things. We'd been together 15 years and married for 9 so it's a jolly sad situation, but there we go. I didn't see it coming, that's for sure.

In a way I'm quite glad I've got this project to be cracking on with as christmas would otherwise be a pretty sad and lonely affair this year :sad:

This is what the inside of my new fridge currently looks like...

View attachment 671760

That’s a sad situation John, you can join our Christmas if you like … a sort of “Busman’s holiday’ ^_^. Great looking fridge by the way! . I’m sure you’ll bounce back :becool:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Aww, you guys :wub:

I've not had my scan results yet, the hospital posted them instead of emailing. I'm hoping this is a good sign and suggests they're not critical but kinda want confirmation of that. GP is checking whether they've arrived now as I asked the hospital to email a copy yesterday. I will likely pop in later and check. I don't feel like I can move on until this bit is out of the way so fingers crossed I'm not waiting too much longer.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Aww, you guys :wub:

I've not had my scan results yet, the hospital posted them instead of emailing. I'm hoping this is a good sign and suggests they're not critical but kinda want confirmation of that. GP is checking whether they've arrived now as I asked the hospital to email a copy yesterday. I will likely pop in later and check. I don't feel like I can move on until this bit is out of the way so fingers crossed I'm not waiting too much longer.

Fingers crossed.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I gave myself two easy jobs to do this afternoon. First mist coat the fresh plaster in the hall way, then put the new shelves up in the kitchen once they arrived.

I got as far as cleaning the new front door frame of stray plaster and removing the small radiator before the shelves were delivered and I got sidetracked in to fitting them. Unfortunately I was a bit too keen and made a minor error...

20221223_165157.jpg

D'oh! Fortunately I had a spare maintenance free box and connectors so was able to fix it fairly quickly but it does mean that wall needs painting again now :whistle: Annoying but not the end of the world :laugh: Anyway, I shifted the shelves over a few inches and up they went...

20221223_174807.jpg

I decided since I'd already made a big mess I might as well put the extractor vent cover up too, so the kitchen is looking pretty good now!

20221223_191503.jpg

20221223_191520.jpg

20221223_191540.jpg

Now I need to mist coat the hallway in the dark as there are no lights in the new rooms yet :laugh: I dont make things easy for myself...

Gunk

Guru
I went through a gas pipe last year in the kitchen, absolute nightmare and as it was decorated a few years previously I had to repaint the whole wall once it was replastered.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
You don't have to drop your concentration for long to do something silly, thats for sure. I've probably been lucky to get away with it for this long to be honest :laugh:

I've got the mist coat on the walls and ceiling in the hall way now :okay: Might try and get a few coats of paint on tomorrow afternoon :okay:

20221223_215453.jpg

irw

Quadricyclist
John, I'm so sorry to hear this. My wife (similarly we'd been together about 15 years and married for nearly 12) abandoned me back in the summer, and ran away with our little girl. (Oddly enough only a few months after me having bought a huge fridge freezer because she said the old one couldn't fit enough frozen stuff in it). It's an absolute nightmare situation she's dropped me into, but I'm (just about) coping through the help of friends, both old and new, and being able to immerse myself in various projects at work and home.

Top Bottom