Home improvements - time the house had some TLC!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
spoken to mrs ck and we going to ask the builder to do what we have been discussing
:smile:
View attachment 723880
Update , quote has come back for this build including the electrical work and plumbing including moving the radiator under the current window and associated pipework is £3200 , all we would have to do is paint and fit lino

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Another couple of days work on the patio. I've got the majority of the full slabs laid now, I think there are 3 or 4 more to do where it meets the driveway.

20240319_155831.jpg

I've also started cutting slabs to fit in the gaps now - I've done most of the in the back garden and next time I get a chance to work on it I'll get them bedded down and start cutting the slabs for the pathway down the side. Once they're cut and bedded I'll just need to point them up and I'll be on to the next job :okay:

20240320_160910.jpg

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've not fully decided on pointing material but it wont be sand and cement. The resin sounds good, but I'm swaying towards EasyJoint or similar.

More slabs cut and put down today, all being well I should finish cutting and laying tomorrow then I can point them later in the week :smile:

20240325_133535.jpg

20240325_155419.jpg

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've given the patio a rest for today and cracked on inside the house. Today's main objective was to install the cupboard above the fridge freezer and then fit the Cornice above.

20240327_105638.jpg

20240327_132705.jpg

20240327_145619.jpg

I need to finish grouting the tiles in the kitchen then do a bit of decorating touch up but otherwise it's now done! My next main objectives are to finish the patio and plaster the new storage cupboard, then it's really just decorating and tidying left. Exciting times!

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Just finished jointing the slabs - I used Sika FastFix in the end, very easy to use. Just soak the slabs with the hose then tip some of the mix out of the bag on to the slabs. Brush it in to the gaps, firm it down with a joint trowel then hose off the excess, repeat until finished. The water stops the reaction so whilst its still wet it won't ruin the slabs. A side effect of this behaviour is it can be laid in the rain, which in this case was handy as it tipped it down halfway through the job :laugh: Looking forward to seeing it in a few days when the slabs are dry and the joints have

20240328_134648.jpg

20240328_134737.jpg
firmed up :becool:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I had building control sign off yesterday :wahhey: It's been a long Time coming but it's nice knowing it's practically finished now!

I celebrated by fitting a couple of new carpets to hopefully make it easier to sell - the stairs were looking pretty tatty.

From this:

20240403_161644.jpg

To this:

20240409_160909.jpg

I also did the landing and spare bedroom :smile:

I'm reading this having put off changing the pull switch in the bathroom for about a month after realising I could simply chock the door open and use the landing light. :laugh:

Given that, I guess it's not really appropriate for me to ask you why, given your very obvious DIY skill set, you chose to have someone else fit the carpet?

Well for my part, and given this is from March last year, the bathroom light switch still needs doing. :blush::laugh:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Just had the old concrete edge of the roof replaced with the plastic edging as it was falling out in places and made worse by the storm last weekend.
Bloke who did it was well priced but he did find some more work .He did send photos so we know its not a cowboy find more jobs con . 3 loose tiles, lead on chimney and a the ridge tiles loose

Ridge tiles, although expensive might be worth getting dry ridge as opposed to concrete so that you don’t need to touch them again and repoint in the future.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I had building control sign off yesterday :wahhey: It's been a long Time coming but it's nice knowing it's practically finished now!

Has she spotted that gap through the fence to next door, or is that when you disappear to seeking sanctuary from more tasks being dished out? :laugh:

Top Bottom