Home made for the commutes - Be seen not hurt.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Psyclist

Über Member
Just some cheap but effective things you can do with a high-viz jacket :thumbsup:

Made this out of a spare high-viz jacket. Just tore off the strips and sewed them onto my bag.

Also, I made a belt out of the high-viz waist part area but cutting up the high viz jacket along the strip, fits well around my belt too.

Reason being that there have been a few cyclists who've had accidents around my area so I'm playing it safe.

p4pb8633215.jpg

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Don't forget to add some good quality lights, the Hi-Viz is only any good when light is shining on it.

OP
OP
Psyclist

Psyclist

Über Member
Don't forget to add some good quality lights, the Hi-Viz is only any good when light is shining on it.

Working on that Gaz, I sold the old pair so I'm looking for a good front light (have a rear already) for around £45 tops, any suggestions??

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I use a magic shine for winter commuting paired with a cree p4 torch on the front which you could pick up for £50 for the two if you shop around .
Thats a good use of a hi -viz jacket as i find them to warm and to baggy to wear and it save you some money as not everyone ( me included) can splash out for new kit all the time .
I recently got a hi viz mesh vest from lidl for £4 which is great for dark commutes as it is cool enough to wear but has plenty of reflective panels.

wmtlynx

Nice idea, dismantling old hi vis stuff to make new things. I've got a couple of XXL ones from when I was 18 stone 7 that aren't doing anything. Was thinking of putting some of the reflective bits around the bottom of my waterproof trousers.

One thing I notice when driving my car, is that the bottom bits of a bike show up first as you're approaching from behind. Normally mudguard reflector and pedals going up and down are the first to be picked up on a badly-lit ninja. This is especially apparent when climbing hills.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Think I'll be investing in some of the spoke reflectors this year. I think I saw some in poundland last year..

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Think I'll be investing in some of the spoke reflectors this year. I think I saw some in poundland last year..

My local Lidls still had some in when I was in there earlier- so pop along to your nearest!

OP
OP
Psyclist

Psyclist

Über Member
Ah I didn't realise there was a bag with reflective strips on it. Although being skint most of the time, this will save me some cash. Only took me half an hour to do too.

Thanks for the replies, and Thanks for the link to the light Helston.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Ah I didn't realise there was a bag with reflective strips on it. Although being skint most of the time, this will save me some cash. Only took me half an hour to do too.

Thanks for the replies, and Thanks for the link to the light Helston.
Great idea yours: I usually have my hi viz just hanging from the back of my rucksack :smile:

Gez73

Veteran
I used a Polaris rucksack cover when I was using the bag. Use it on my rack bag now. I found one of the reflective bands that are on road cones near my house and cut it up and put it in the mesh pocket on the bag cover. Worked a treat, thinking of cutting some triangles from it and putting these on my spd shoes heels as I've not got pedal reflectors. Lots of things to make and do for the long dark Winter. Spoke reflectors going on tomorrow for Monday commute. Lidl had them the other week and Halfords do them too.

Bigsharn

Veteran
Working on that Gaz, I sold the old pair so I'm looking for a good front light (have a rear already) for around £45 tops, any suggestions??

I'm not Gaz but I may be able to help :tongue:
On Ebay there's an Ultrafire Torch bundle for bikes (grip, charger, spare battery, an torch itself) for £30-40, look for the XML-T6. It's an amazing light for the price. Not quite on par with the Hope 1s, but certainly getting there

Top Bottom