Home made pizza base ideas wanted (and toppings).

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
With pizza on my mind (after the Pizza Express thread) I am looking at home made.
Years ago I used to use french bread. A base layer of tomato sauce added to milk with cornflower.
Today a chef told me that for a quick home made pizza he uses shop bought naan bread.......a tomato base then whatever you fancy on top.
I fancy.......... Mozzarela, mushrooms, tomato, onion, ham....then some chili sauce with some parmesan chucked on.
Juices now flowing :rolleyes:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
You really ought to be asking this question in The Bakers' Thread you know!

Anyhoo, the lovely Delia has the recipe for you: https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/international/european/italian/basic-pizza-dough

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Naan bread here too, or even pittas if I have them. Top with tomato puree and add whatever you or the kids fancy. By the time I've added all my toppings I'd probably be better off going to Pizza Hut:laugh:

Mrs Dave asks if you are pregnant?

:laugh:

Make my own from scratch, usually when I've got an arse end of pasta sauce and random oddments in the fridge that want using up. Made one last week with leftover meatballs marinara, olives, mozzarella and provolone.

Quick and easy bread dough of 600g flour, 360g water, 12g salt, 12g dried yeast and 2tbsp oil works really well and is enough for two decent sized pizzas. You can add chopped herbs, garlic etc to this as well. better still, use a quarter of the yeast and leave dough in the fridge overnight.

Tomato sauce... If you've none left knocking about, then a carton of passata, a large chopped onion, two bay leaves, two teaspoons of dried oregano, fresh ground black pepper, half a veggie stock cube (or more, to taste) and as much garlic as you want to put in there. Throw into crock pot and cook on "low" for between six to 8 hours. So much nicer than just tomato paste or pasta sauce out of a jar.

nickprior

Veteran
Home made base as per Reynard (maybe a tad less salt but who's counting?) then:

A tablespoon each of olive puree and tomato puree, a sprinkle of herbs (Sainsbury's Italian seasoning works, but anything with oregano in) then add a tin of anchovies, with capers and chopped olives to suit, some blobs of mozzarella, into a hot hot oven then consume with some Puglian or Sicilian red.

[QUOTE 5232012, member: 259"]Best tip for making pizzas is use Italian pizza flour (00). It's miles better than standard bread flour.[/QUOTE]
Better in what way?

It may make more "authentic" seeming Pizzas but it is not better flour as such.

On the core topic, I tend to be lazy and buy good store-made margherita pizzas (they can be very cheap in double packs) and then add my own toppings. Which will usually be way better quality than the more elaborate toppings the manufacturers put on.

By the by, one of the best selling store sold pizzas in Italy is made in Leyland, Lancashire. But don't tell any Italians this.

Last edited:
With pizza on my mind (after the Pizza Express thread) I am looking at home made.
Years ago I used to use french bread. A base layer of tomato sauce added to milk with cornflower.
Today a chef told me that for a quick home made pizza he uses shop bought naan bread.......a tomato base then whatever you fancy on top.
I fancy.......... Mozzarela, mushrooms, tomato, onion, ham....then some chili sauce with some parmesan chucked on.
Juices now flowing :rolleyes:
Waaay behind me. linky

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
My pizza base is:-
8oz plain or whole meal flour
1tsp salt
1/2 oz fresh yeast, or dried yeast and 1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 pint like warm water
1tbsp olive oil

Knead it all together, allow to rest and rise for an hour. Knock back the risen dough, roll and stretch to the required size and shape.

Gas Mk6 for 25 to 30 minutes

I use a thickened Passata and any toppings that take my fancy on the day.

There are rules though!!

Rule #1 No anchovies
Rule #2 There is no rule #2
Rule #3 See Rule #1

Top Bottom