Home made pizza base ideas wanted (and toppings).

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
[QUOTE 5232008, member: 259"]I used to make sauce for pizzas but got a right telling off from Neapolitan mates who said to use best quality canned whole pelati and squish them up with your fingers...and they were right. You get a nice fresh tomato taste.[/QUOTE]

That's the thing about Italian cooking - one region's right way is another region's wrong way. :laugh: I was taught by a sicilian chap at uni. :blush:

[QUOTE 5232012, member: 259"]Best tip for making pizzas is use Italian pizza flour (00). It's miles better than standard bread flour.[/QUOTE]

If you can find any. Unless you've got a good Italian deli nearby, it's a devil to get your mitts on. And according to the bods over on a breadmaking forum I'm a member of, not really worthwhile due to the expense.

Best to stick with ordinary bread flour and swap, say 10 to 15% for semolina - which is durum wheat. And use a long bulk ferment if you can as it really adds flavour to the dough.

Home made base as per Reynard (maybe a tad less salt but who's counting?)

It's 2% salt in bakers' percentages - so 12g salt to 600g flour. That's pretty well much par for course.

100% flour
60% water
2% salt
2% yeast (though I typically use a lot less than that, but appreciate that not everyone wants to wait / has the time)
5% oil

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
My pizza base is:-
8oz plain or whole meal flour
1tsp salt
1/2 oz fresh yeast, or dried yeast and 1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 pint like warm water
1tbsp olive oil

Knead it all together, allow to rest and rise for an hour. Knock back the risen dough, roll and stretch to the required size and shape.

Gas Mk6 for 25 to 30 minutes

I use a thickened Passata and any toppings that take my fancy on the day.

There are rules though!!

Rule #1 No anchovies
Rule #2 There is no rule #2
Rule #3 See Rule #1
Sorry to be :boxing:, but anchovies should always be on pizzas! They're delicious! :mrpig: :hungry:

[QUOTE 5232028, member: 259"]Better as in better pizzas. It's bugger all to do with being "authentic", more to do with eating good food.

If you tend to buy store-made pizzas and put your own toppings on then de gustibus etc, but it's dead easy to make ones which are miles nicer in texture, smell, and taste.[/QUOTE]
By "authentic" that's exactly what I meant, better pizzas, as in how one expects a pizza base to be, so there's a lot of buggery about it. I meant that it is not "better" flour.

I do somewhere have a recipe (very involved) for a pizza base from an italian who makes very good ones but have never got around to using it. In truth, i think it is very hard to produce a pizza as good as the ones from a decent italian pizzeria. For it's the base which is of course the difficult bit.

Have eaten a lot of pizzas in my time and revere them - unlike the ignorant pretentious idiot who once sneered when I suggested we went for a pizza. At a place I knew to be pretty decent.

Long live the pizza.

Spartak