Home made pizza base ideas wanted (and toppings).

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Oh, that's a thought... Thanks :thumbsup:
Ordering online or filthy takeaway? :smile:

Reactions: srw
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
For the £80 you spent at pizza express you could by a good (panasonic) bread maker and make your own pizza dough easily in 45 min.
I have a bread maker.........just put a loaf on for a lunch of fresh brown yummy bread & smoked mackerel .
Just looked in the menu section and sure enough No 8 is a recipe for pizza dough.
So a quick question................
Recipe tells me to roll the dough into balls and press them into shape------then cover for 15 minutes while it 'rises'.
I like my pizza base to be thin but the recipe gives no clue as to how to do that.
Once it has 'risen' can I roll it to make it thin ??

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I have a bread maker.........just put a loaf on for a lunch of fresh brown yummy bread & smoked mackerel .
Just looked in the menu section and sure enough No 8 is a recipe for pizza dough.
Recipe tells me to roll the dough into balls and press them into shape------then cover for 15 minutes while it 'rises'.
I like my pizza base to be thin but the recipe gives no clue as to how to do that.

It's not going to rise appreciably in 15 minutes. That'll just be enough time for a little gas to develop so you're not baking a compressed (and stodgy) base.
If you make it too thin it won't be able to support the topping either. I'd follow the recipe first before considering adjustments.

Personally I don't leave it to rise once they're rolled out and they're ok, but give it a try each way? I presume letting it rise will make it a bit less dense, but I'm guessing. I just use normal strong / bread white flour.

For those craving OO flour (which i repeat is not good flour, nutritionally pretty p poor, but good for pizzas which are hardly health food) I was in a south london aldi yesterday and they had some on offer. Seem to recall it wasn't much more than a pound a kilo.

PK99

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5232012, member: 259"]Best tip for making pizzas is use Italian pizza flour (00). It's miles better than standard bread flour.[/QUOTE]

Being pedantic - do you mean "00" pasta flour or "00" pizza flour?

The "00" rating is on the coarseness of the milling, different wheat varieties are blended for different purposes.

Supermarket "00" is a generic size grading.

Being super fussy "00" flour would be used for Pasta and "0" for bread and pizza

Italian Flour
In Italy, flour is categorized according to how finely milled it is. The numbers are obtained by measuring the quantity of flour in kilograms after milling 100 kg of wheat. The higher the number, the coarser it is. ’00’ flour seems to be the most difficult one to replace: it almost feels like baby powder, and it is so fine that the best quality in Italy is called ‘Fior di Farina’ (lit. ‘Flower of Flour’, meaning that it is the best and finest). It is great for sweets and pasta.

• 00 Flour (ash content ~ 0.55%) is the finest, and obtained by only milling the inner part of the grain, with no bran or residues, so that protein and starch are the only things left. Very poor nutritionally, but very efficient in the kitchen, it is used for fresh pasta and baked sweets;
  • 0 Flour (ash content ~ 0.65%) is coarser and tends to be stronger, and is generally best for bread, flatbread and pizza making;
  • 1 and 2 Flours (ash content ~ 0.85% / 0.95%)could be considered half whole-wheat, as they contain parts of bran and are richer in protein and starch. Best for pizzas and breads;
  • Whole Wheat Flour (Farina Integrale) (ash content ~ 1.70%) contains all of the grain, and in Italy it is usually used together with a finer flour. All the nutrient content is preserved.

Being pedantic - do you mean "00" pasta flour or "00" pizza flour?

The "00" rating is on the coarseness of the milling, different wheat varieties are blended for different purposes.

Supermarket "00" is a generic size grading.

Being super fussy "00" flour would be used for Pasta and "0" for bread and pizza

Italian Flour
In Italy, flour is categorized according to how finely milled it is. The numbers are obtained by measuring the quantity of flour in kilograms after milling 100 kg of wheat. The higher the number, the coarser it is. ’00’ flour seems to be the most difficult one to replace: it almost feels like baby powder, and it is so fine that the best quality in Italy is called ‘Fior di Farina’ (lit. ‘Flower of Flour’, meaning that it is the best and finest). It is great for sweets and pasta.

• 00 Flour (ash content ~ 0.55%) is the finest, and obtained by only milling the inner part of the grain, with no bran or residues, so that protein and starch are the only things left. Very poor nutritionally, but very efficient in the kitchen, it is used for fresh pasta and baked sweets;
  • 0 Flour (ash content ~ 0.65%) is coarser and tends to be stronger, and is generally best for bread, flatbread and pizza making;
  • 1 and 2 Flours (ash content ~ 0.85% / 0.95%)could be considered half whole-wheat, as they contain parts of bran and are richer in protein and starch. Best for pizzas and breads;
  • Whole Wheat Flour (Farina Integrale) (ash content ~ 1.70%) contains all of the grain, and in Italy it is usually used together with a finer flour. All the nutrient content is preserved.

Thanks for that. And it highlights that 00 is actually piss poor stuff. Italy is home to some of the most spectacularly awful mass produced bread I have ever experienced. Italian foodf is subject to almost as much bullshit as bicycles. I stress that i love pizzaz with 00 and semi burned . sod the nutrition and cancer risk.

Top Bottom