Hope Hubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

I'm looking at having some wheels built. This is a medium-term project so I won't be buying the parts just yet, but would appreciate advice on the hubs. Hope have been recommended to me by @Yellow Saddle and others, so just wondered if people riding Hopes could let me have their thoughts, esp on reliability and bearing life.

Also, as I'll be building disc-brake wheels, would I be best looking at these?
http://hub.chainreactioncycles.com/latest-news/mtb/hopes-new-pro-4-hubs-first-look/

The Hope website and CR lists them as MTB hubs but then all the disc-brake road/CX wheel build options on the Hope site come specced with Pro4s...bit confusing?

Cheers,
Andy

Nibor

Bewildered
As there are very few if any road/CX specific disc hubs they will almost certainly be classifeid as MTB hubs but as they do mak a QR specific version of the front hub they are certainly pitched at CX/road disc. (most serious MTBs these days have at least a 15mm bolt through front axle)

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Hi,

I'm looking at having some wheels built. This is a medium-term project so I won't be buying the parts just yet, but would appreciate advice on the hubs. Hope have been recommended to me by @Yellow Saddle and others, so just wondered if people riding Hopes could let me have their thoughts, esp on reliability and bearing life.

Also, as I'll be building disc-brake wheels, would I be best looking at these?
http://hub.chainreactioncycles.com/latest-news/mtb/hopes-new-pro-4-hubs-first-look/

The Hope website and CR lists them as MTB hubs but then all the disc-brake road/CX wheel build options on the Hope site come specced with Pro4s...bit confusing?

Cheers,
Andy

Pros: Very good, reliable, good seals, lightish, British made.
Against: A bit expensive for some. Noisy

Alternative to look at: Novatec make some good hubs too, made in Taiwan but they have proved themselves by now.

Last edited:

Cubist

Still wavin'
Hope are expensive, but loverly as long as you like the noise.

They are well respected in the MTB world, being homegrown and rebuildable.

There have been reliability issues with various Hope products, I seem to remember talk of cracked flanges on Pro 2s, but here's the killer... Hope are so jealous of their reputation that they will, almost without exception, sort out any problems without fuss, often exceeding expectations. The counter argument of course is that it should be bombproof to start with, so yer pays yer money and takes yer chances as they say.

I have a number of hope products; Two Pro2 Evo hubbed wheelsets, a Pro 2 wheelset, a set of brakes and their spiderless MTB crankset. So far so good. I once mangled a brake reservoir capscrew and rang them to try and source a replacement. They sent a complete reservoir cap and two capscrews as a replacement and didn't charge me a penny.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A great British company, great customer service.

I would love Hope hubs but the rear is far too loud for me.
If they made them silent running.. I would snap them up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
Pros: Very good, reliable, good seals, lightish, British made.
Against: A bit expensive for some. Noisy

Alternative to look at: Novatec make some good hubs too, made in Taiwan but they have proved themselves by now

Sounds good. I'll check out Novatec too. Thanks.

Is this the same bike that you're getting HyRd brakes on @Wafer ? I'm a big fan of my Genesis. Would be interested to see the spec list for your CdF (and pics of course!) if you're happy to share. Cheers.

Hope are so jealous of their reputation that they will, almost without exception, sort out any problems without fuss, often exceeding expectations. The counter argument of course is that it should be bombproof to start with, so yer pays yer money and takes yer chances as they say.

I have a number of hope products; Two Pro2 Evo hubbed wheelsets, a Pro 2 wheelset, a set of brakes and their spiderless MTB crankset. So far so good. I once mangled a brake reservoir capscrew and rang them to try and source a replacement. They sent a complete reservoir cap and two capscrews as a replacement and didn't charge me a penny.
I like the sound of that customer service. That could be the clincher. Are the Pro 2s for rim brakes only? And what differentiates the standard from the Evo?
Cheers.

Wafer

Veteran
Is this the same bike that you're getting HyRd brakes on @Wafer ? I'm a big fan of my Genesis. Would be interested to see the spec list for your CdF (and pics of course!) if you're happy to share. Cheers.

Yep. Getting the 2016 CdF20 upgraded with their carbon fork (which has caused a long delay, I paid for it about 10 weeks ago!) and those Hope wheels. Will be getting mudguards fit and I'm expecting a shorter stem, but that stuff probably isn't relevant :smile:

https://www.facebook.com/GenesisBik...2.1073741834.153321304732382/945351945529310/ Is one of the better links with pic and specs I think, the green cdf20. The carbon fork only comes as standard on the new Ti version now, which you can see on that FB gallery too.
Will have to some share some real pics when I get it, which they're saying should be in time for next weekend :hyper::bicycle::hyper::bicycle::hyper::bicycle:

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
Yep. Getting the 2016 CdF20 upgraded with their carbon fork (which has caused a long delay, I paid for it about 10 weeks ago!) and those Hope wheels. Will be getting mudguards fit and I'm expecting a shorter stem, but that stuff probably isn't relevant :smile:

https://www.facebook.com/GenesisBik...2.1073741834.153321304732382/945351945529310/ Is one of the better links with pic and specs I think, the green cdf20. The carbon fork only comes as standard on the new Ti version now, which you can see on that FB gallery too.
Will have to some share some real pics when I get it, which they're saying should be in time for next weekend :hyper::bicycle::hyper::bicycle::hyper::bicycle:

Looks good in green, I saw one of those in York recently. The forks will improve the look as well as the ride too. Those HyRd calipers do look a bit cumbersome. It's a great bike, I'm sure you'll love it. Sounds like you have a fantastic Spring of adventuring in-store :smile:

Wafer

Veteran
I'd pretty much decided on a CdF some time ago but initially I was going for last years frameset which came with carbon fork as standard, steel frame and carbon fork sounds like it should be a good combo so was still happy to pay for the upgrade.
Sounds like going full hydraulic with the brakes would be better but already pushing my budget. The Decade version has SRAM Rival 1x gearing and hydraulics but that's another £300 and I'm not quite brave enough :smile:

Wafer

Veteran
Haha, I was thinking it was quite smart actually :smile:

Was also hoping I could get the nice wheels and use them on the CdF and the current Synapse with just a change of tyres. Sounds like it might be fiddly though as different brakes on both bikes so alignment of discs might be a problem. Can't remember if I asked if the Tech XCs would fit the Synapse, after the disc alignment issue was raised I was less bothered.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Sounds good. I'll check out Novatec too. Thanks.

I like the sound of that customer service. That could be the clincher. Are the Pro 2s for rim brakes only? And what differentiates the standard from the Evo?
Cheers.
Pro 2 were a disc MTB hub. The Evo has a standard 12mm rear axle to cater for 142x12 as well as 135x10, you simply swap end caps as required. The non Evo needed an axle conversion to run 12mm axles, and these caused breakage issues, hence the Evo tag. The Evo also has a 150 mm option.

Top Bottom