Hope Hubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
Was also hoping I could get the nice wheels and use them on the CdF and the current Synapse with just a change of tyres
You'd also need to change the cassette each time too really. A simple enough job but if you were thinking of swapping the wheels between bikes every few days it's not a faff I'd want to take on, with the cassette or the tyres.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
@Spoked Wheels - do you have much experience building disc-brake wheels? If so are there some disc-specific rims you would recommend? I like the look of these, but I know I'm not supposed to go on looks!
http://www.2wheelcare.co.uk/pacenti-sl25-rim?gclid=COmluZG_gcsCFWQq0wodcEsG3w

Disc-brake wheels are build the same way and rim brake wheels. however, there are a couple of things that one should stick to, 3 cross patterns is my advice and get get good tension on the spokes, I build them with at least 1200N but that is dictated by the rim..... Are you building them yourself?

The pacenti SL25 and SL23 for Rim Brakes are good rims pretty light too. They aren't cheap though although, not quite the £100 a rim they were selling for last year.

I sometimes get asked this question Pacenti SL23 or H+ Son Archetype and if your priority is to save weigh and don't mind the extra cost then no problem BUT I think the H+ Son is a better rim although not as good looking as the Pacenti. Now, the H+ Son Archetype is not disk specific but it can be used as such too and I think it's a better rim.

If you like the pacenti for the tubeless capacity then another option to consider is the Kinlin XR 22T. Probably a better rim, a lot cheaper but not so good looking :smile:

Wafer

Veteran
You'd also need to change the cassette each time too really. A simple enough job but if you were thinking of swapping the wheels between bikes every few days it's not a faff I'd want to take on, with the cassette or the tyres.

The Synapse is the older 105 10 speed and the CdF is the new Tiagra so I was hoping that would be fine, but there are some details like that I'm not sure of as well.
Will just TIAS

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
Are you building them yourself?
Absolutely not! I am going to enlist the services of an expert. I was considering sending you a PM at some point actually, depending on how busy you're likely to be this summer/autumn.

I think the H+ Son is a better rim although not as good looking as the Pacenti. Now, the H+ Son Archetype is not disk specific but it can be used as such too and I think it's a better rim.
Is this the right one? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/h-plus-son-archetype-road-rim/
A bit cheaper and only slightly heavier. I think they look really smart. I don't mind it not being disc-specific, just wanted to avoid a really obvious silver braking track. What would you say makes the H+Son better?

I am not planning to go tubeless although I guess it would be nice to have that option. Will be wanting to use 25mm rubber. I'm 9.5 stone so was wondering if 28 spokes front and rear would do for durability? I have no idea about lacing patterns or tension - I haven't got that far into the Wheel Builders Manual yet!

The Synapse is the older 105 10 speed and the CdF is the new Tiagra so I was hoping that would be fine
It was more uneven chain and cassette wear that I was getting at, rather than compatibility issues.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Has anyone mentioned the NOISE? :whistle:

I didn't think they'd be as loud as they were, (despite the reviews), but they really are.

I sold them on very quickly purely for the sake of my sanity ^_^
The newest Pro 2 Evo have a larger number of engagement teeth, so the noise is now a noisy buzz rather than the oh so satisfying clack. The noise is the best bit.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Is this the right one? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/h-plus-son-archetype-road-rim/
A bit cheaper and only slightly heavier. I think they look really smart. I don't mind it not being disc-specific, just wanted to avoid a really obvious silver braking track. What would you say makes the H+Son better?

I am not planning to go tubeless although I guess it would be nice to have that option. Will be wanting to use 25mm rubber. I'm 9.5 stone so was wondering if 28 spokes front and rear would do for durability? I have no idea about lacing patterns or tension - I haven't got that far into the Wheel Builders Manual yet!

Yes, those are the rims.

I find the H+ rims are a little tougher and that is from personal experience :smile: I once hit a pothole that I really thought would have killed the wheel, it was at speed.... I saw it at the last second and I managed to avoid it with the front wheel or I would have hit the deck. I'm not lightweight like yourself and the rider behind me was so impressed that there was no damage. At 9.5 stone the pacenti would be very good too.

Yes, 28 spokes and a stiff rim like the pacenti or the Archetype is possible at your weight.

I just remember that I built a set of Archetype and Hope hubs for one of our fellow members about 15 months ago. I believe he is still very pleased with the wheels.

Yes, you can PM me......

Wafer

Veteran
Pretty sure a few round these parts have disc wheels using those archetype rims, they do look nice :smile:

And point taken about wear, hadn't thought of that. To be honest I'm probably too lazy to swap the tyres anyway so...

mattobrien

Guru
I have hope hubs disc specific, Evo 2 (I think without going out to the garage), built on H + Sons Archetype rims. I have ridden them for around 4,500 miles without any problems. They are on the winter / commuter bike, so they haven't had light or friendly use and have performed well.

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
I have hope hubs disc specific, Evo 2 (I think without going out to the garage), built on H + Sons Archetype rims. I have ridden them for around 4,500 miles without any problems. They are on the winter / commuter bike, so they haven't had light or friendly use and have performed well.
Glad you're pleased with them. Thanks for the feedback.
Yes, you can PM me......
Will do now.
To be honest I'm probably too lazy to swap the tyres anyway so...
Yeah, n+1 is less faff and more fun, everytime.

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
For anyone wishing to get their geek on about hubs - if you scroll down here there's a video about the design and production process at Hope -

http://www.hopetech.com/pro4factory/

Just clocked that Dura Ace hubs are only slightly more expensive than Hopes. I know they're different hubs and take different types of bearing, but are Hope's best really on a par with Dura Ace?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
With the caveat that i've never used them, nor Hopes for that matter, the Royce hubs look rather blingtastic and also UK engineering.

That said, don't nearly all hubs use standard skf industrial bearings at a fiver a pop, so whether there's really much benefit I don't know.

Still shiny and UK made would appeal to me.

Top Bottom