Hope Hubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
don't nearly all hubs use standard skf industrial bearings
Not Hope, though I don't know if the INA bearings are better, worse or indistinguishable from skf

Bearings Tech Specs >
  • Quality bearings supplied by INA - Germany
  • Two rubber seals fitted to all bearings
  • Industry standard cartridges

the Royce hubs look rather blingtastic and also UK engineering
Yes, very classy looking. And twice the price!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Not Hope, though I don't know if the INA bearings are better, worse or indistinguishable from skf

Bearings Tech Specs >
  • Quality bearings supplied by INA - Germany
  • Two rubber seals fitted to all bearings
  • Industry standard cartridges

Yes, very classy looking. And twice the price!

Mmm so if they pretty much all use "industry standard bearings " INA rather than SKF in this case - is there much to choose betwee different hubs really? I'm all for quality, which I'm usually prepared to pay for, but is it just bling here? That said shiny is good and I was drooling over the Royce ones, so if Hope are half the price - well, the difference save is like income isn't it?

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
Mmm so if they pretty much all use "industry standard bearings " INA rather than SKF in this case - is there much to choose betwee different hubs really?
It's a good point. You'd think the quality of the bearings and the seals would be the main factors affecting performance and durability.
I guess the quality of material used for the hub body, the freehub and the pawls and seals would also be worth paying extra for too though, if they fed positively into that magic equation of durability and lightness. I guess an experienced wheel-builder would also pick up on superior design elements that might pass the average rider by. For instance @Yellow Saddle recommends Hop hubs for this reason, among others -
"The hubs have all the engineering properties that a wheelbuilder wants - chamfered spoke holes and curved flanges, for instance. Consumers don't see this but it makes for durable wheels because it is gentle on spokes"

Top Bottom