Hopefully Lesson Learnt To Take A Phone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

junkie_ball

Thought i'd share this with everyone on here in the hope of anyone on the forum who doesn't take a phone on a ride with them will from now on.

So i went for a ride today with friend and i always take a phone and a small amount of cash incase of an emergency. My friend on the other hand always says i don't need a phone (and doesn't carry cash) as someone in the group will always have one.

Well i was setting the course today on unfamiliar roads to my friend and we got separated. I tried riding up this road and that road looking for him to no avail. I tried to call him but his phone was sat all nice and warm in the gym waiting for his return and no use to anyone. I had no choice in the end but to carry on, i changed my route and headed towards roads i knew my friend was familiar with and thought he would head towards in the hope of bumping into him. Anyway i didn't see him all the way back and when i get back he was still not to be seen.

When he finally got back it turns out he did head for for familiar roads. It was on one of these roads he rides quite often he was knocked from his bike by a 4x4 towing a trailer on an arrow straight road. The 4x4 over took him and then cut back in and caught him with the trailer. The 4x4 never stopped assuming he never realised he had just struck a cyclist although luckily oncoming traffic did stop and come to his aid.

They offered to call someone for him but he didn't know any numbers off by heart that could help him. As it happens apart from a few scrapes and bruises he was uninjured and rode back to the gym. This could have ended far worse and so i write this to encourage everyone who's riding to carry a phone and NOT rely on others in a group to have a phone they can use because if your separated from a group you could end up in the same situation.

My friend has now said he will never ride again without a phone. Unfortunately he never got the number plate of the vehicle that struck him either.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Wow - harsh way for your friend to learn that lesson!

ScotiaLass

Guru
I am so glad he's okay!
I never ride without my phone. It has a handy feature too...a 3 second press of a button (well two buttons at the same time) and it takes a photo using the front and rear cameras, records the GPS co-ordinates and sends this all in an email to my emergency contact, with a pre- written message...mine says 'I need emergency assistance'.
As I have allergies too, I have stickers on my helmet for emergency services which contains my details and medications etc.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm sorry to hear about your friend, and I'm glad that he is going to be ok.

As for the phone ... Obviously there are times when having a phone is useful, but a phone wouldn't be much use if you were badly injured or killed, or indeed if the phone itself were damaged in a crash. Many of the places that I ride to round here have no mobile reception anyway.

I wear an ID tag which has a couple of emergency numbers engraved on it so my family could be contacted if the worst happened. The rest of the time, I make sure that I know where I am and can cope with most things that happen on a ride.

It wasn't my normal practice to carry a phone except on forum rides or when travelling to meet people, but now that I use it as my main camera, it is always with me.

OP
OP
junkie_ball

junkie_ball

I am so glad he's okay!
I never ride without my phone. It has a handy feature too...a 3 second press of a button (well two buttons at the same time) and it takes a photo using the front and rear cameras, records the GPS co-ordinates and sends this all in an email to my emergency contact, with a pre- written message...mine says 'I need emergency assistance'.
As I have allergies too, I have stickers on my helmet for emergency services which contains my details and medications etc.

That sounds like a great feature for a phone to have. Is it an app you use? I have tried a couple but they all require you to unlock the phone so not much use if a stranger needs to use my phone in an emergency if i was unable to use the phone myself.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I rarely bother. I cycle to get away from things like phones and people. There's no signal on much of my favourite routes anyway.
Some of my routes can be patchy for signals.
I'd rather have the phone with me...it's always on silent so I don't hear it, but I tend to check it when I stop for a break as I have a disabled son, who if taken ill, requires hospital treatment within two hours.
Each to their own :smile:

ScotiaLass

Guru
That sounds like a great feature for a phone to have. Is it an app you use? I have tried a couple but they all require you to unlock the phone so not much use if a stranger needs to use my phone in an emergency if i was unable to use the phone myself.
No, it's a feature of my Samsung S4.
I also put a wallpaper on my phone which I made using the notes function, and lists my emergency contact and allergies.
That way someone could look at it and get the info without having to access my phone.
Edited to add that they would also find a contact number on my helmet sticker :smile:

Keith Oates

Janner
I always take a phone with me wherever I go (unless I forget which does happen on very rare occasions). If you're on a long ride with group it is easy to get parted and then a phone is very handy to get together again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

OP
OP
junkie_ball

junkie_ball

No, it's a feature of my Samsung S4.
I also put a wallpaper on my phone which I made using the notes function, and lists my emergency contact and allergies.
That way someone could look at it and get the info without having to access my phone.
Edited to add that they would also find a contact number on my helmet sticker :smile:

Yeah i did make a wallpaper myself with contacts and allergies on as i cycle alone in very rural areas a lot of the time, problem is i always forget to change it to display it when riding as don't like using it as my normal wallpaper. lol.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Yeah i did make a wallpaper myself with contacts and allergies on as i cycle alone in very rural areas a lot of the time, problem is i always forget to change it to display it when riding as don't like using it as my normal wallpaper. lol.
Yeah I do that too...but if you make it part of your routine it'll become second nature :smile:

Colin B

I always carry my phone just incase , by as I have a note 2 its bulky in my back zip pocket on my shirt . There's a phone I'm looking at getting in future just because of its size its a no frills phone that's favoured by criminal because it can easily be inserted into your bottom . I don't plan on storing it up there , but its compact enough to put a n the mp3 pocket on my camelbak
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lds-smallest-mobile-proves-hit-prisoners.html

classic33

Leg End Member
3) Program someone into your phone as your “ICE” person (in case of emergency). Should you be unconscious, the emergency services should look in your phone for a person to contact and are advised to look for “ICE” (obviously this wont work if you have a passcode).
ICE- on android phones go to 'Settings' - 'Security' , then 'owner info' . Add ICE number and name and it will scroll across your locked screen.
4) Consider something like this http://www.theidbandco.com/Helmet-ID-System-with-Card-2317

Top Bottom