Horses?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

bonj said:
They're dangerous, and arrogant. No mountain bikers like horses, becuase horses think they own the countryside, simply because they have largely had the run of it for years, but now they don't. They can't blame people for realising what shoots horses actually are and forming alternative hobbies. An example of why they are dangerous twats: The only safe place to be relative to a horse is away from it. In front of it - it can bite. Behind it - it can kick you. To death, if it so desires. At the side of it, it can buck its arse and knock you over, probably also to death. On it - and it can throw you off. They're temperamental, wild animals and to expect them to have road sense is to me ludicrous.

jimboalee said:
In order of priority from high to low - " ", Pedestrians, Equestrians, everyone else.

Therefore, the motorists are obeying the rules of the road.

To be honest, a Horserider, or Equestrian DOES own the road. Many Equestrians you see around DO own the countryside.

The missing entity in my priority list is "Her Majesty, the Queen".

Ronaldo said:
Almost there.

Ponies are ridden by children and tend to be less than 14.2 hands.

Almost there

Ponies are ridden by both children and adults and can be anything up to 15:2HH on a life height certificate :laugh:

Native breeds like New forest, Welsh mountain, Fell, Exmoor etc usually define what people consider a 'pony' to be in the UK

byegad said:
Hands! I thought they had hooves!:laugh: And does the .2 mean the 'orse is giving us the finger?

A 'Hand' is 4" and measured to the top of the 'withers', or the part of the spine which joins the horses neck.

bonj2

very-near said:
Native breeds like New forest, Welsh mountain, Fell, Exmoor etc usually define what people consider a 'pony' to be in the UK

they're like breeds of dogs but the vast majority of horses, ponies and donkeys are in fact mongrels.

Arch

Married to Night Train
tyred said:
It's something I always wondered about why equestrian folk had to come up with a unique measurement for measuring the height of a horse. Why not use feet like everyone else?

Well, if you want to measure a horse, it's more convenient to do so with your hand, than to try and use your foot - you'd have to lie down next to the horse and 'walk' up it...

bonj said:
they're like breeds of dogs but the vast majority of horses, ponies and donkeys are in fact mongrels.

And this is the best way to be. We have both a Thoroughbred horse (15:3HH) and a crossbred pony (13:2HH).

The pony (initially very cheap ex gypsie horse) has far more brains, and is far lower maintainance than the thoroughbred, and is actually worth about 10 times as much as the horse is given it has proven itself in competition to a far greater degree than the horse could, and because it has the brains, can work out what to do with its legs when it comes to a jump, meaning it's appeal goes right across the abilities of novice to expert rider, as well as being very well balanced and smooth to ride.

The Thoroughbred (like a racehorse) was initially very very expensive and bred for showjumping (not to us, is very highly strung, needs a very good rider, as it hasn't really got the brains to figure its legs out, and also has a conformation (gait) which will have you on the floor if you aren't gripping on very tightly in either canter or gallop, as well has having crap feet (like all thoroughbreds) and unable to go barefoot bumping maintainance costs right up - as well as the special dietary requirements all thoroughbreds have, as well as needing to be brought in when it turns cold.

The Thoroughbred is like a ferrari in a straight line, but lets face it, most competition is won on the corners.

Give me the hardy pony any day. Thoroughbred horses are bloody hard work and very expensive by comparison.

tyred

Legendary Member
The same is true in cattle and presumably in all animals. The cross breds are always a far tougher animal than pedigrees. It's called hybrid vigour.

bonj2

very-near said:
And this is the best way to be. We have both a Thoroughbred horse (15:3HH) and a crossbred pony (13:2HH).

The pony (initially very cheap ex gypsie horse) has far more brains, and is far lower maintainance than the thoroughbred, and is actually worth about 10 times as much as the horse is given it has proven itself in competition to a far greater degree than the horse could, and because it has the brains, can work out what to do with its legs when it comes to a jump, meaning it's appeal goes right across the abilities of novice to expert rider, as well as being very well balanced and smooth to ride.

The Thoroughbred (like a racehorse) was initially very very expensive and bred for showjumping (not to us, is very highly strung, needs a very good rider, as it hasn't really got the brains to figure its legs out, and also has a conformation (gait) which will have you on the floor if you aren't gripping on very tightly in either canter or gallop, as well has having crap feet (like all thoroughbreds) and unable to go barefoot bumping maintainance costs right up - as well as the special dietary requirements all thoroughbreds have, as well as needing to be brought in when it turns cold.

The Thoroughbred is like a ferrari in a straight line, but lets face it, most competition is won on the corners.

Give me the hardy pony any day. Thoroughbred horses are bloody hard work and very expensive by comparison.

Horses that are dangerous should be culled. i.e., all horses.

bonj2

tyred said:
The same is true in cattle and presumably in all animals. The cross breds are always a far tougher animal than pedigrees. It's called hybrid vigour.

Thoroughbreds are therefore evolutationarily artificial, and should be allowed to become extinct.

c2c

redredrobin
bonj said:
Well, IDIOT! Why is it even ever necessary to go from field A to field B, irregardless of whether field A is on the opposite side of a road from field B ;)

great new word, a mutant, hybrid word....... marvelous.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
bonj said:
But it would be pointlessly inefficient, think of the effort compared to doing it with normal trains.
The most efficient way of slaughtering cows, far more efficient even than an abbatoir, would be to just go into the field with an uzi or other machine gun and just open fire. I don't really know why they don't...I presume it's for political reasons, something about keeping abbatoirs in business.

The reason they don't use Uzi's is because of the current EU agricultural legislation and trade embargo on Israeli firearms.:headshake:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Can anyone give me a brief resume on this thread to save me looking through the 22 pages so far ? I tried to jump in at page 11 and saw some mention of cows

Thanks

Top Bottom