Hosepipes. Are there any experts hereabouts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I need to get a new hosepipe. I'm sick to death of our cheap one getting twisted up and kinking. It'll hardly ever be used for a bit of gentle plant watering, but mainly for washing toys, un-blocking drains, and sluicing gutters. All I'm after is something that doesn't kink, and one that can be stored on an existing reel that the old useless hose came off. About 25-30 metres, and, ideally, cheap.

Thanks.

Broadside

Guru
I, like you have tried cheap over the last couple of years and been sorely disappointed with lots of water blocking twists. I think the only answer is to spend big on Gardena or Hoselock products as I am fed up with the poor quality imitations.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I, like you have tried cheap over the last couple of years and been sorely disappointed with lots of water blocking twists. I think the only answer is to spend big on Gardena or Hoselock products as I am fed up with the poor quality imitations.
My current yellow one is Hozelock. Yes, it was cheap and rubbish, but they do more expensive ones that might be better.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
[QUOTE 5275389, member: 10119"]My sister got one of those 'scrunchie' expandable hosepipes that kind of concertinas itself back up (and unscrunchies itself when you connect it up and turn the tap on) and keeps it in a bucket next to the outdoor tap.[/QUOTE]
A friend had one. I was tempted but I read the reviews. They have a very limited life expectancy, it seems.

classic33

Leg End Member
The problem is, after you've spent far too long pissing about with the hosepipe, the last thing you have time for is lovingly coaxing it back onto the wretched reel.

Think slob. That's me.
Don't throw it on the floor in a heap, if you wind it back in the kinks should work their way out.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Don't throw it on the floor in a heap, if you wind it back in the kinks should work their way out.
Sorry, a decent hosepipe shouldn't develop kinks and twists in the first place. Hydraulic and vacuum hose manufacturers seem to have figured it out. Has any garden hose manufacturer studied since primary school?

Dave 123

Legendary Member
You want this stuff

https://www.pitchcare.com/shop/hose...MIrLq8ie7P2wIVBbTtCh3wMwJ5EAQYAiABEgKHvvD_BwE

If you're going the whole hog, get some nice brass fittings too

https://www.screwfix.com/p/brass-hose-fitting-set-4-pieces-4-pcs/13866

If you have it on a hose trolley, be careful how it attaches. If it clips in externally it shouldn't kink, but I have a trolley in work where the fitting clips on from the inside of the reel, the hose has to bend to wind onto the reel, as a result it kinks.

It's the middle of June and there isn't a ban on hosepipes, kinked or otherwise? I thought "guess the date for the hosepipe ban" was a national pastime in Englandshire

Top Bottom