Hosepipes. Are there any experts hereabouts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I personally use the top grade Hozelok but a few clients live their ‘scrunchie’ hoses (nicked that from you @User10119) I also use a reel so no kinks for me.

I use plastic fittings. The brass ones degrade especially if you will be involved mixing up sand and cement.

Last edited:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Look for PVC reinforced hosepipe. Very durable and doesn't kink.

It's similar to the glass windows reinforced by metal wire mesh.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180613-065446.png
    Screenshot_20180613-065446.png
    111.4 KB · Views: 36

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
We have a yellow one which doesn't kink. Mrs B bought it a few years ago when she was fed up with our old one kinking. The walls are thicker than other hoses I have seen which seems to stop the kinking and I assume there might be some braiding in the plastic outer.
The downside is that it is very heavy. Off the reel, with more than 12 - 15 metres of hose out, she wrestles with it. Winding it back on the reel she struggles to get the last 5 metres of so back on and it usually ends up me doing it.
The thickness also means in cold weather the inflexibility makes for hard work.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I recommend one of these .
It has a connector that as long as theres no nozzle on the end will not let water pass through. That way I can unwind and rewind with the water pressure on to stop it kinking.
Dead easy to unravel and put back to with the handle.

Venod

Eh up
A friend had one. I was tempted but I read the reviews. They have a very limited life expectancy, it seems.

Ours lasted 2 days, it started leaking through the cloth outer, so returned it and swapped it for a cheap and cheerful standard hose, it does kink but more importantly it doesn't leak, was half the price of the scrunchy one and quite a bit longer.

Globalti

Legendary Member
We have the green coiled hoses, which look like garage pneumatic lines and work pretty well. The triggers and other fittings that come with them are really naff and will break very soon but the hoses last well. The hose won't connect to a Hozelock trigger but with a short length of standard hose and some ingenuity it can be done. The Hozelock triggers are excellent quality until you leave them out in the frost and they split open...

U

User10571

I have yellow Hozelok hose which has been on a reel hanging on a south-facing wall since 2003.
Kinks are removed from it by occasionally running hot water through it. Both the hose and the plastic fittings have stood up to UV exposure surprisingly well.
Would consider buying again.

Top Bottom