Hour Record (may contain spoilers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thom

____
chapeau Rohan Dennis

Last edited:

thom

____
B9VBDW8CYAEKfIl.jpg

Hindgight observations:
1) Only Jens got quicker and funnily enough the volatility of his times over a 5/10 lap window appears least
2) Bobridge aimed for too much, couldn't hold his gearing and suffered the most as a consequence...
3) Not one of these specimens got their pacing bang on - I'm sure any one could improve their effort if prepared to go again (which they probably won't) (note this is based upon the reasonable assumption that an even paced effort (constant speed) is most efficient, which given wind resistance is proportional to speed^2 is true for a machine but is not immediately obvious for the efficiency of a human being.)

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Agreed on all points. I can see Brändle going quicker, and Dennis probably could improve on what he did today. And I'm convinced Dowsett could do better than either of them. Even Bobridge might have a chance with better preparation.

They'll still all just be keeping the record warm for Wiggo though!

Anyway, great effort by Dennis. Chapeau.

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
they usually set it warm, less air resistance, i think i read bobridge had it set @ 30 degrees but struggled with the heat.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Do they up the temperature in the velodrome for these attempts? Or is it fixed.
I remember reading that they try to do the rides in warm air. I think warm air is slightly less dense than cool air, and warm muscles work better than cold ones.

I think that they should put an altitude limit on the record. Air is less dense at higher altitudes.

PS Slow typing on my tablet means that my posts keep getting beaten by other posters!

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
I think that they should put an altitude limit on the record. Air is less dense at higher altitudes.

I also hear that too high up and the oxygen is too little to power the muscles something around 2500ft is perfect i seem to recall

Top Bottom