Hour Record (may contain spoilers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Obree is an enormous exception in almost every way. One of my favourite riders, but hardly an example coaches are likely to even be able to teach.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
we should respect the riders for putting themselves on the line so publicly.

1. Bobridge is a professional - he trades in results, not sympathy votes.
2. He's Australian... ;)

If you want to talk about riders who deserve more credit than they've been given, how about Brändle? He may not have the medals to match Bobridge but he is a seriously talented young rider. He completed his first Giro as a 20-year-old neo-pro, finishing 90th, which is in many ways far more impressive than anything Bobridge has achieved so far. And for a young rider with no real track pedigree to come along and break the Hour record at fairly short notice in the way he did is quite extraordinary when you stop and think about it (especially when you remember that he did it on a short track). He might really get a chance to shine now his team has been given World Tour status.

thom

____
1. Bobridge is a professional - he trades in results, not sympathy votes.
2. He's Australian... ;)

If you want to talk about riders who deserve more credit than they've been given, how about Brändle?
Totally agree re Brandle.

1 professionals also get paid to put on a show, which he did, at a scheduled track meet in Australia, with an audience that was larger for his efforts, where he succeeded in breaking the Australian record for the hour and in missing the world record posted the world's second best ever distance and showed something of how hard that damn thing is...
Most people fail a lot before they succeed - it is part and parcel of doing something difficult.

2 would that the derogatory comments were actually trying to be humorous in that regard...

edit: some wise words from Obree : http://road.cc/content/news/141747-...obridge-should-attempt-hour-record-again-week
He suggests that as with himself and Moser, having a second bite at the cherry may be best for Bobridge.
Encouragement indeed - there's no doubting it would take a lot of guts.

Last edited:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
2 would that the derogatory comments were actually trying to be humorous in that regard...

Tbh, I don't know what you're referring to - the only 'derogatory' comment I've seen is FM's use of the word 'dumb' but I'd say that's a fair assessment of the way he rode the TDU knowing that he was attempting the Hour a week later. Tactically naive at best.

thom

____
Tbh, I don't know what you're referring to - the only 'derogatory' comment I've seen is FM's use of the word 'dumb' but I'd say that's a fair assessment of the way he rode the TDU knowing that he was attempting the Hour a week later. Tactically naive at best.
Nobody's pointed out that riding the way he did in both the TdU and then the to take on the hour record was a purely professional calculation - he rides for "Team Budget Forklifts" ffs !

I could go on. I don't want to - some posters are just rather predictable.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
So his Hour attempt was more a publicity stunt for his team than a serious attempt on the record? Cynical.

Some quotes from the team owner.

"It's certainly got a marketing side to it. It gets our name out to a corporate level that we're supporting a growing sport... We're pumping that up and promoting it because of all the benefits of it."

"We're a loyal company, loyal to our customers and loyal to our suppliers and it's the same thing when we enter into a project like this," he grins. "We're looking at it for the long term but also a commercial basis."

If he were to analyse return on investment, just a month into the 2015 season, Leunig would probably find that he was on the way to a coming out in front.

A business decision certainly but is that just cynical?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Depends how you look at it. If you're one of the punters who paid good money to watch what you thought was a genuine sporting endeavour rather than a marketing exercise, then maybe you could be excused for thinking it's cynical.

But hey-ho, this is professional sport we're talking about after all, so no one should be surprised.

thom

____
So his Hour attempt was more a publicity stunt for his team than a serious attempt on the record? Cynical.
Make your own judgement - see it as trying to play a part in promoting the sport, or something more cynical. The choice is yours. Bobridge's failure and suffering is his. It is up to you and your judgement whether you care to empathise with him or whether you would have with Obree or Moses had they only been able to take a single shot at the record.

thom

____
Depends how you look at it. If you're one of the punters who paid good money to watch what you thought was a genuine sporting endeavour rather than a marketing exercise, then maybe you could be excused for thinking it's cynical.

But hey-ho, this is professional sport we're talking about after all, so no one should be surprised.
I think the event was part of a scheduled track event and I don't buy the notion that his effort was not genuine.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I believe his effort was genuine. I applaud him for giving it a go. And yes, if his attempt helps to promote the sport to a wider audience, then good for him.

But I don't believe his preparation was ideal, as per FM's assessment, and I stand by my earlier comment that he's probably just not good enough anyway - he's a decent rider but not in the same league as Rohan Dennis or Matthias Brändle.

That's not a criticism, it's an impartial, objective assessment - I may be wrong (it wouldn't be the first time), but I'm most definitely not just slagging him off for the sake of it. And his efforts in the TDU did at least bring him the climber's jersey, for which I congratulate him, even if it did damage his chances of getting the Hour record.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I'm certainly not criticising Bobridge for having a go. I just don't think he prepared in the best manner for the attempt. I think he is certainly capable of beating the current record, but by the time he tries again, it may well have passed further beyond him. You can bet that someone like Wiggins, with Shane Sutton coaching him, is going to leave nothing to chance, and will lap like a metronome. Cancellara would be the same. There are several others who could also take the record much further.

Hont

Guru
I'm certainly not criticising Bobridge for having a go. I just don't think he prepared in the best manner for the attempt. I think he is certainly capable of beating the current record, but by the time he tries again, it may well have passed further beyond him. You can bet that someone like Wiggins, with Shane Sutton coaching him, is going to leave nothing to chance, and will lap like a metronome. Cancellara would be the same. There are several others who could also take the record much further.
Agree. I think a lot of those having a go now, with sub-optimal preparation, are doing so because the window of opportunity may not be open for long.

Top Bottom