Hour Record (may contain spoilers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Certainly looks like he went off too hard and paid for it, interestingly Jens was probably a little conservative, but then he was facing a lower target to get the record, which he duly got.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
but then he was facing a lower target to get the record, which he duly got.

Exactly so. Voigt knew his record wouldn't last so getting it pro-tem was all he was after

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
No commentary most of the time, no indication of speed, nor of how he is doing relative to his schedule.

I watched the start before heading out to parkrun. Didn't have sound so wasn't aware of the lack of commentary but judging by the way his coach was hopping about round the start line, it seemed clear that he did indeed go off too quickly.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Bobridge was never going to do this, whatever the Aussie fans thought. I also think that the way he rode the TDU would have taken too much out of him rather than been good preparation.

Last edited:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
o
Bobridge was never going to do this, whatever the Aussie fans thought. I also think that the way he rose the TDU would have taken too much out of him rather than been good preparation.
Is Dennis going to?
Predictions are slightly harder before the event^_^

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I have to admit I did wonder during the TDU if Dennis was taking too much out of himself before his Hour attempt, although he is giving himself a bit longer to recover than Bobridge.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if Dennis's performance in the TDU was more a side effect of his preparation for the Hour than a sign of rash exuberance. Most of the field would be aiming to peak later in the season but Dennis should be more or less at the top of his form right now.

Bobridge, on the other hand, I suspect, just isn't good enough.

Looking at the Aussie championships, Dennis was probably taking it relatively easy - you'd expect him to beat Porte in a TT under normal circumstances.

So, in conclusion, my prediction is that Dennis will take the record.

shadow master

Ouch! :eek:

Well, he had the guts to have a go and he certainly didn't leave much in the tank ...

I think it makes it more interesting for some riders to fail on the way up to a longer-lasting record.
Only a week till the next Aussie fails....just warming it up for Wiggins....or the son of grahaeme obree

shadow master

I have to admit I did wonder during the TDU if Dennis was taking too much out of himself before his Hour attempt, although he is giving himself a bit longer to recover than Bobridge.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if Dennis's performance in the TDU was more a side effect of his preparation for the Hour than a sign of rash exuberance. Most of the field would be aiming to peak later in the season but Dennis should be more or less at the top of his form right now.

Bobridge, on the other hand, I suspect, just isn't good enough.

Looking at the Aussie championships, Dennis was probably taking it relatively easy - you'd expect him to beat Porte in a TT under normal circumstances.

So, in conclusion, my prediction is that Dennis will take the record.
Bobridge is too young...its a mental game,mental strength peaks in your mid thirties!

Bobridge was completely shagged at the end, he tweeted something along the lines of being the closest to death without actually dying.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I don't think Dennis will be as dumb as Bobridge in attacking almost every day on a stage race that starts a few days before the record, but I still think he may be too young and he does not have the track experience. So, just because @smutchin said he will, I am going to say he won't. The Hour is, as @shadow master said, a discipline that requires the kinds of skills that come with age and experience. However, whether Dennis does do it or not, Wiggins will absolutely destroy the record, and set something that will stand for a few years, I think.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Not sure about the age thing - Matthias Brändle is only 25, after all - but definitely agree that regardless of what Dennis does, Wiggo will most likely set a record that will be very hard to beat.

It's a shame about Dowsett because he could at least have given Wiggo a decent target to aim at.

thom

____
Young and up and coming rider gives I a go. And fails. Irrespective of his nationality, such guys should first get the credit they deserve for putting on a show when they had the chance to make an event of it in Australia, at home. You got to give it a go to get the experience.
Normally young guys are greeted with enthusiasm for pushing their limits. Just saying...

shadow master

Young and up and coming rider gives I a go. And fails. Irrespective of his nationality, such guys should first get the credit they deserve for putting on a show when they had the chance to make an event of it in Australia, at home. You got to give it a go to get the experience.
Normally young guys are greeted with enthusiasm for pushing their limits. Just saying...
You've only got to look at the graph above to see the erratic lap times/speeds,the rhythm just isn't there,too fast at the start,and fade at the end,didn't study the master of the hour Graeme obree!

thom

____
You've only got to look at the graph above to see the erratic lap times/speeds,the rhythm just isn't there,too fast at the start,and fade at the end,didn't study the master of the hour Graeme obree!
Um.... So what?
He has the second best distance for the hour as the record currently stands. Do you think Obree didn't give it a go and fail along the way?

The UCI should get credit for reinvigorating this event and we should respect the riders for putting themselves on the line so publicly.

Top Bottom