Hour Record (may contain spoilers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
Not sure if CW have edited that page. They were saying "cancelled" but Dowsett has tweeted there is no cancellation nor postponement. Bummer for him though.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It had to be really. Dowsett had been upbeat about still having a go, but it wouldn't have been a great idea.

The trouble is, if Wiggins does what is expected of him later in the year, then after that it will be a waste of time for most other riders to even think about it. Cancellara doesn't fancy it now. Apart from Tony Martin, who else could potentially beat a Wiggins record?

gds58

Über Member
It had to be really. Dowsett had been upbeat about still having a go, but it wouldn't have been a great idea.

The trouble is, if Wiggins does what is expected of him later in the year, then after that it will be a waste of time for most other riders to even think about it. Cancellara doesn't fancy it now. Apart from Tony Martin, who else could potentially beat a Wiggins record?
Not even sure that Tony Martin could beat a good Wiggins effort as he has very little track experience compared to Wiggins who is an absolute master of the boards. This makes a big difference over a 60 minute flat out effort.

ColinJ

Not even sure that Tony Martin could beat a good Wiggins effort as he has very little track experience compared to Wiggins who is an absolute master of the boards. This makes a big difference over a 60 minute flat out effort.
I think you could well be right!

It is no doubt expecting too much, but it would be great if Wiggins could finish his career with a Classics win, an almost unbeatable hour record, and one last Olympic Gold! Actually, even just 1 of those 3 would be fantastic.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I think you could well be right!

It is no doubt expecting too much, but it would be great if Wiggins could finish his career with a Classics win, an almost unbeatable hour record, and one last Olympic Gold! Actually, even just 1 of those 3 would be fantastic.

I'm hoping for PR and the Hour. Not bothered about the Olympics...

ColinJ

I'm hoping for PR and the Hour. Not bothered about the Olympics...
It is quite interesting to see how Cancellara has changed his tune about Wiggins and Paris Roubaix after last year!

Cancellara about Wiggins before 2014 Paris Roubaix said:
... "with Tour de France weight you’re not going to go anywhere,” although he would later add diplomatically that “everyone is welcome to Roubaix.”

But now ...

Cancellara on Wiggins 2015 said:
"It’s not just talk he made it is a really serious thing. He prepared last year and he came pretty close and he impressed a lot of people. Roubaix is a special race and Bradley is a serious contender ...

What Bradley will do at the moment, nobody knows. We know that he is going to go for Roubaix but he can also be competitive for Flanders. We know Bradley when he focusses on things he normally somehow achieves it. He is one of those contenders that people can look at."

:thumbsup:

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
It is no doubt expecting too much, but it would be great if Wiggins could finish his career with a Classics win, an almost unbeatable hour record, and one last Olympic Gold!

I think he'll do the hour, and I'd like to think he'll get close to or beat the outright time. I think he'll have a good go at a Classic if he can keep Sky on board. I keep finding myself wondering whether Wiggins will struggle to get into the Olympic team. The focus seems to be very much on bringing new young riders forward for Rio. Sutton says not, but I wonder whether there'll be a bit of yesterday's man / face doesn't fit about it from the management; and some of the younger riders may not be there yet but they're looking very quick.

In other news, Richard Williams' article on the hour:
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/jan/23/hour-record-bradley-wiggins-alex-dowsett-cycling

subaqua

What’s the point
Oh yes, my dream come true - finally the opportunity to get up in the middle of the night to watch an Australian going round and round in circles for an hour.
When you have finished that British Eurosport are showing after a long weight ;) the live final of paint drying followed by the semi finals of the grass growing contests.

shadow master

Wiggins is the perfect machine for the job...old enough.. Its a mental game....great time trial rider......can keep good pace.....ex track athlete.... Its his church! May seem a bit boring to people but if you actually look at the history of the hour records it throws up some great stories and unique characters mercx, Moser,boardman,and the great grahaeme obree!

Top Bottom