Hour Record (may contain spoilers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I don't care who wins it just as long as they ban that bloke with a drum!

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
OTOH, Dowsett won the Commonwealth ITT ahead of Dennis this year. And was 11 (eleven!) minutes ahead of Bobridge in the Giro ITT last year.

However, I'm not convinced any of those results are particularly useful indicators since a) track is so different to road cycling (most velodromes will have considerably fewer hills and a lot less wind than this year's Worlds course, for example), and b) we don't know how well any of them are preparing for the event, or c) how well equipped they are mentally to cope with the particular demands of the Hour.

All three have pretty good track pedigree though, and it will probably be a close-run thing between them.

Then Wiggins will come along and knock all their efforts into a cocked hat. ^_^

all true. Has tony martin ever spent any significant time on a track?

all these early guys are surely just a warm up till wiggo has a serious crack and then hopefully we'll see how powerful the german machine is.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Fwiw, Endura have developed a new onesie for Dowsett for his attempt which promises to be the most aerodynamickest skinsuit in the whole world ever!

It will be the drag2zero suit, or a derivative of, that he wore during the commonwealth games and Matt Bottrill has been wearing in the later parts of the season. Looks like a cross between the orignal SMART speedsuit and the Bioracer suit with the ribbed fabric which acts as an aerodynamic trip (Bottrill has been wearing calf guards made of the same fabric).

I don't know, but apparently he wore it when he broke the British 10-mile record back in May, so obviously it works.

Mind you, the press release also promises that his attempt at the Hour "will be a spectacular event not to be missed" - oh yes, the sheer excitement of watching a man going round in circles for 60 bleeding minutes...

The one he wore for the comp record ride is different :smile:

I don't know, but apparently he wore it when he broke the British 10-mile record back in May, so obviously it works.

Mind you, the press release also promises that his attempt at the Hour "will be a spectacular event not to be missed" - oh yes, the sheer excitement of watching a man going round in circles for 60 bleeding minutes...

And also the same evening watching a woman do the same.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
It will be the drag2zero suit, or a derivative of, that he wore during the commonwealth games and Matt Bottrill has been wearing in the later parts of the season.

Yes, the press release does mention drag2zero and wind tunnel testing blah blah blah...

The one he wore for the comp record ride is different :smile:

I expect you're right. I'm only repeating what it says in the Endura press release, but I always take press releases with a pinch of salt.

oldroadman

Veteran
It will be the drag2zero suit, or a derivative of, that he wore during the commonwealth games and Matt Bottrill has been wearing in the later parts of the season. Looks like a cross between the orignal SMART speedsuit and the Bioracer suit with the ribbed fabric which acts as an aerodynamic trip (Bottrill has been wearing calf guards made of the same fabric).

One thing he won't be using for the hour. I'm pretty sure if he appeared on the line with them the commissaires would want them off before allowing a start. Artificial aid and not necessary so not allowed.

Last edited by a moderator:

gds58

Über Member
Dowsetts track craft is far superior to other names mentioned (bar Wiggins) so I think he will beat the current mark by a decent margin and set maybe 53 to 54km. Sarah Storey is scheduled to make an attempt the day after Dowsett (27th and 28th February 2015) I'm confident that both will get their respective records. Wiggins attempt is scheduled for August 2015 in Majorca when he will probably reach 56km. He's the worlds best against the clock and has much better track craft than any of them. He'll put it on the shelf for a long time.

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
Dowsetts track craft is far superior to other names mentioned (bar Wiggins) so I think he will beat the current mark by a decent margin and set maybe 53 to 54km. Sarah Storey is scheduled to make an attempt the day after Dowsett (27th and 28th February 2015) I'm confident that both will get their respective records. Wiggins attempt is scheduled for August 2015 in Majorca when he will probably reach 56km. He's the worlds best against the clock and has much better track craft than any of them. He'll put it on the shelf for a long time.
So dowsett with no top line track pedigree/medals has more track craft than bobridge (Olympic silver & multiple world gold) and Dennis (Olympic silver & world gold)?

gds58

Über Member
So dowsett with no top line track pedigree/medals has more track craft than bobridge (Olympic silver & multiple world gold) and Dennis (Olympic silver & world gold)?
I probably should have clarified my comment a bit more! There's no disputing that Bobridge and Dennis have more top line medals to their names but Dowsett is currently riding the more endurance track events and on more recent form he is the better man against the clock for that sort of distance/time (60 minutes) He is also the only one who has currently made the full journey of preparations for the WHR. The bike is built, the position has been honed in the wind tunnel, clothing fitted etc etc and the date and time for the attempt has been set. My guess is that Bobridge and Dennis will wait to see what Alex does in February to re-assess whether or not they might have a chance of beating it.
Don't under estimate Alex, at this moment it's his main focus. Only thing left to decide is gearing for the attempt. If he gets that right then maybe a significant improvement on the current mark is on the cards.
Whatever happens it's great that there is now so much renewed interest in what was once a very highly regarded record. Good luck to all of them!

The Couch

Über Member
I believe Dennis's attempt is scheduled for 8th Feb And Bobridge's for 31st Jan.
Not the greatest show of form for Dennis ending 2nd (behind Porte) in the Australian Championship TT
(Bobridge was 3rd)

Not that Porte is a nobody... but when you're preparing for an Hour Record attempt, you would expect Dennis (and Bobridge) to be closer to peak form

Top Bottom