Hour Record (may contain spoilers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldroadman

Veteran
The expression "wake up" likewise.
As you wish. Accusations are easy, spouting without evidence opinions on forums is easy. Entirely a choice we can all make.

Chris Norton

This round of hour record attempts is only the forerunner for the main event next year when the guys who are really going to push the thing. Nice track, good atmospherics and it's a show down for Wiggins and Martin I reckon. Wiggins could use it as his final piece of the puzzle when going back to the track and Martin just to say "f@#K you Wiggins" for taking my world championship shirt.

It'll be at least 55k by the end of next year and possibly close to the 57 hinted at previously.

Exciting times for it.

Froome won't go for it as it's really not something that fits in GT training. Quite a lot of attempts seem to be in the latter stages of a career although if Martin goes for it he's right in the middle of his. Not sure of Obree's history with it other than the discounting of his efforts which seemed very unfair to me at the time and even more so now.

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
Thomas Dekker is taking on the record after not having his contract renewed by Garmin-Sharp (or whatever they're called now). Is it me or is the hour record becoming like Jesse Owens racing horses?

Next to take up the challenge:
upload_2014-11-19_19-55-47.jpeg

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
so bobridge, rohan dennis and alex dowsett all have their name in the hat.....

i dont think dowsett can beat either of the first two but least wiggo will have a proper mark in june

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
he was 1:30 down on rohan at the worlds this year....

OTOH, Dowsett won the Commonwealth ITT ahead of Dennis this year. And was 11 (eleven!) minutes ahead of Bobridge in the Giro ITT last year.

However, I'm not convinced any of those results are particularly useful indicators since a) track is so different to road cycling (most velodromes will have considerably fewer hills and a lot less wind than this year's Worlds course, for example), and b) we don't know how well any of them are preparing for the event, or c) how well equipped they are mentally to cope with the particular demands of the Hour.

All three have pretty good track pedigree though, and it will probably be a close-run thing between them.

Then Wiggins will come along and knock all their efforts into a cocked hat. ^_^

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Fwiw, Endura have developed a new onesie for Dowsett for his attempt which promises to be the most aerodynamickest skinsuit in the whole world ever!

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I don't know, but apparently he wore it when he broke the British 10-mile record back in May, so obviously it works.

Mind you, the press release also promises that his attempt at the Hour "will be a spectacular event not to be missed" - oh yes, the sheer excitement of watching a man going round in circles for 60 bleeding minutes...

Top Bottom