Hour Record (may contain spoilers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I was suggesting that it is not a shame that his record is not the one to beat, on the basis that he is (mostly likely, never proven right?) a dirty twat! :thumbsup:

Well, Sosenka was a confirmed doper, not just suspected, and he did hold the record for nearly ten years until Jens beat it.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Well, Sosenka was a confirmed doper, not just suspected, and he did hold the record for nearly ten years until Jens beat it.

I wasn't going into the technicalities, just stating, IMO, it isn't a shame.

The technicalities is a different thing altogether and tbh, I don't care enough to have looked it up.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
just stating, IMO, it isn't a shame.

I share that opinion.

Thing is, where do you draw the line? Sosenka was a proven doper. Rominger and Indurain were probable dopers. Jens Voigt is a probable doper. Merckx was a proven doper. Obree and Boardman's records were struck off for "mechanical doping".

Francesco Moser later admitted to using blood doping to help him break the record, but that wasn't technically illegal at the time, so is that any more or less cheating than Boardman and Obree's methods? (Again, Boardman and Obree's records were set using technology that wasn't illegal at the time but has retrospectively been deemed "unfair".)

Brändle is the first person to hold the Hour record since at least 1972 who isn't widely suspected or convicted of practices that are considered to have given him an unfair advantage.* But given who he associates with, you begin to wonder about him too.

Edit: *sorry, that's not true - of course, Boardman set the record again in 2000 under the new rules on a drop-handlebar bike with non-disc wheels, a record that stood until 2005 when Sosenka broke it.

Last edited:

oldroadman

Veteran
I share that opinion.

Thing is, where do you draw the line? Sosenka was a proven doper. Rominger and Indurain were probable dopers. Jens Voigt is a probable doper. Merckx was a proven doper. Obree and Boardman's records were struck off for "mechanical doping".

On the basis of....an opinion. The expression "see you in court" springs to mind!

I'm sure Jens would be very pleased to hear that as the soreness in the tender bits is recovering. :huh:

I'm not saying it didnae hurt, but it was a "non Record" waiting to be broken by the first opportunist who made the attempt; and fitting, that Jens, the showboating former doping opportunist, was that man.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Neither Obree nor Boardman were cheating. What they did was totally in line with the rules as they stood. Obree in particularly was treated disgracefully by the UCI.

I see some interest from cycling pundits on twitter around a women's hour attempt; the current record has stood for 11 years.
The Revolution Series have agreed to host any record attempt. Now all that is needed is a volunteer to do it ;)

Top Bottom