House insurance question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
My in- laws house had a car crash into it last year, they claimed against his insurance for repairs to the tune of £6k.

Now that they're looking to renew their house insurance the question on Gocompare is "In the past 5 years, have you or anyone else living with you made any buildings, contents or personal belongings claims, or suffered any loss or damage (regardless of whether a claim was made or not)?" and goes on to ask about the incident and how much was claimed.

On car insurance you get to put 'driver not at fault' - whereas this doesn't appear to be an option. Should they be ticking that they haven't made a claim? Since their current insurer is not £6k out of pocket as the other persons insurance covered it completely?
Any thoughts appreciated.

vickster

Legendary Member
They should call the insurance company and ask. Should be able to do tbe paperwork on the phone

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
If they don't disclose the incident and then, at some point in the future, make a claim, it could be turned down.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Is it just me who is scratching my head at how a car can crash into a house and the house be at fault?
It's nothing to do with fault. It's how the insurance trade treats its customers.

alicat

Legendary Member
They suffered damage to the tune of £6k so have to disclose the incident.

The insurers are entitled to know that the house is in a location where cars can crash into it.

If the incident is not disclosed, the insurers can void the policy and refuse to pay a claim even if unrelated.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I would tell them. Although no claim was made, the insured property did suffer damage so the incident needs to be declared.

It doesn't matter that the insurers aren't any worse off, if the wording says "whether or not a claim was made".

OP
OP
helston90

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
I think the plan was always to tell them, it happened, they're not trying to hide it.

I was just perplexed why car insurance you put it was someone else's fault and your insurance only goes up a bit and the 'cost of the claim' is a small amount of admin whereas the house insurance their is no 'fault' element and they've had to put down how much the other insurers paid to fix i.e.£6k

It was a totally random one where they live on a slight hill and the people who live across the road forgot to put his handbrake on when he got out of his car, so the car rolled down his drive, across the road, down my in-laws drive and into the front of their house.

Top Bottom