House Rabbit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
A rabbit. In our house. Completely unexpected until about 5 years ago, when after years of enjoying their company just outside,

1bMixUk.jpg

Aren’t you going to invite me in?

we went from warily entertaining the idea to making it happen.

CmmX0up.jpg

That’s right, he came from a garden centre. Somebody had a sense of humour.

He spent his first year part free range, meaning at night and whenever we weren’t around (we're usually around, and he takes a 9 to 5 siesta anyway), he went into a large pen I’d built in the home office; but he was otherwise at liberty to go pretty much wherever he fancied.

sGy8x4x.jpg

When we were confident he could be trusted, I dismantled the pen and that was that: he became a normal member of our small family, except for annual shots for myxomatosis and haemorrhagic horrors, his fondness for hay,

bYnHC1m.jpg

his habit of hopping onto windowsills

BZMPyBb.jpg

and presenting himself for grooming,

p03FiDN.jpg

being weighed on a kitchen scale,

CmRgA1H.jpg

his use of a litter tray, and a few other items it isn't worth quibbling over.

Although I’d grown up with various small creatures and a medium large one (RIP Mandy ),

WBcuFuA.jpg

I’ve never loved an animal the way I love him. He is, in short,

5iPbv3R.png

To be continued

Mo1959

Legendary Member
A rabbit. In our house. Completely unexpected until about 5 years ago, when after years of enjoying their company just outside,

View attachment 509968
Aren’t you going to invite me in?

we went from warily entertaining the idea to making it happen.

View attachment 509969

That’s right, he came from a garden centre. Somebody had a sense of humour.

He spent his first year part free range, meaning at night and whenever we weren’t around (we're usually around, and he takes a 9 to 5 siesta anyway), he went into a large pen I’d built in the home office; but he was otherwise at liberty to go pretty much wherever he fancied.

View attachment 509970

When we were confident he could be trusted, I dismantled the pen and that was that: he became a normal member of our small family, except for annual shots for myxomatosis and haemorrhagic horrors, his fondness for hay,

View attachment 509971

his habit of hopping onto windowsills

View attachment 509972

and presenting himself for grooming,

View attachment 509973

being weighed on a kitchen scale,

View attachment 509974

his use of a litter tray, and a few other items it isn't worth quibbling over.

Although I’d grown up with various small creatures and a medium large one (RIP Mandy ),

View attachment 509975

I’ve never loved an animal the way I love him. He is, in short,

View attachment 509976

To be continued
He’s lovely. I had a rabbit as a child. Dutch something?? Black and white called Bimbo. Although he lived in an outdoor hutch, we brought him into the house at least in the evenings. Used to fall asleep draped across your chest when you were watching telly.

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Lucky you! Chompsky's evening meal is taken on one of our laps, but otherwise he's not a cuddler.

flatscreen-1.gif

The funny thing is, we weren’t looking for that particular breed – I was more taken with the agouti colouring seen in the wild. He's a tri-coloured Dutch, the result of matchmaking between Harlequin and tortoiseshell forebears.

oldfashioned-1.jpg

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Child 2 has one ( a dwarf lop), pictures of which I have posted on here previously. He's a rescue, has a lovely personality. In the garden he is rarely far from me and enjoys lying on the sofa next to me being stroked. We would be happy to have him roaming in the house but efforts to make him house trained have failed. He is a bugger for wires and his use of a litter tray is "erratic". - We don't think he is the sharpest tool in the box. ^_^

Mrs M

Guru
Lucky you! Chompsky's evening meal is taken on one of our laps, but otherwise he's not a cuddler.

View attachment 510031

The funny thing is, we weren’t looking for that particular breed – I was more taken with the agouti colouring seen in the wild. He's a tri-coloured Dutch, the result of matchmaking between Harlequin and tortoiseshell forebears.

View attachment 510032
Love Chompsky :wub:
xxx

We have two house rabbits one we bought and one is a rescue but sadly they don’t get on so whilst bunny 1 is free range bunny 2 lives in the conservatory with frequent visits for no. 1 they both have charmed lives but we did have to stop no. 1 from going upstairs because he was making one of the bedrooms into a warren with matching smells.

having house rabbits is great but damn they chew everything especially cables and skirting boards

I knew one day our Choice of pets wou pay off :tongue:
despite the trouble they cause house rabbits are very good family pets, rabbits were never meant to be in a tiny hutch in the garden that’s another thing the Romans gave us, rabbits are social animals and need constant company

We (read Mrs Ridgeway) have a few here, i guess around 10 or more plus the 30+ Guinea Pigs that live in a tree (long story). The rabbits go out most days and have a run around and we usually alternate them although we have to keep the boys away from the girls.... although the boys never run off if there is a lady rabbit in a pen in the garden:laugh:

We had Dalmatian Rex for many years but the last 2 we bought are Cinnamon's

@ the OP, how do you cope with electrical wires with a house rabbit ?

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Love Chompsky :wub:
xxx

bW5Kc5P.jpg

We have two house rabbits one we bought and one is a rescue but sadly they don’t get on

Yes, we’ve read that they can be very particular about their companions. Given what intensely social creatures they are, we considered bringing one of his brothers home with us too.

1A7KJe4.jpg

Waiting patiently for a drink

However, for a variety of reasons we really only wanted one rabbit, and felt that we could give him the company he needed, even if it was of the slightly inferior human variety (hopefully he thinks of us as big, slightly dumb bunnies). Observing his behaviour at the shop, we noticed that he tended to keep himself apart from the others, which marked him out as a good candidate for adoption. Fortunately he has shown no signs of distress, and has bonded with us ever closer over the years.

We involve him in many household chores and activities:

iuX5v6S.jpg

Helping with laundry

fpIOnhx.jpg

Shredding documents

XXgdqIH.jpg

Choosing music

EBATMEt.jpg

Planning menus

9HKZTF1.jpg

Even cleaning up after himself

rabbits were never meant to be in a tiny hutch in the garden that’s another thing the Romans gave us, rabbits are social animals and need constant company

Academics believe the animal could have been kept as an exotic pet. Apparently they are still considered “exotic” by vets, despite being the third most popular pet in the UK. Thanks for showing us your lionhead. Here’s some entertainment for him:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNDZaPCSlVc&t=0m15s

We (read Mrs Ridgeway) have a few here, i guess around 10 or more plus the 30+ Guinea Pigs

Pictures please!

how do you cope with electrical wires with a house rabbit ?

A lot of bunny proofing went on before we brought him home. This mostly consisted of strategic placement of wires behind barriers. Here, for example, you might be able to make out the glass shelves (bevelled and in great condition, found at the tip) propped up against the wall, protecting an outlet in use.

EldB5zE.jpg

Another view showing a robust belt-and-braces approach, i.e., the completely unecessary rubber tubing I installed over the lead to the floor lamp before finding the glass. (I couldn’t be bothered to remove it.) The sharp eyed will note that he’s found the cable to the TV antenna. He doesn’t know that we don’t have a TV.

1lKZNZF.jpg

Skirting boards were mentioned. While he has a few favourite nibbling spots, he’s mostly left them alone.

QPJCF7J.jpg

I was quite worried about books, and so employed glass and fireplace screens.

IgIrrRE.jpg

Hsb4AOI.jpg

The drapes in the bedroom, alas, have suffered grievously.

N5nvBX9.jpg

w0N6lSv.jpg

Leporidae being inveterate nibblers,

3CJAdnp.jpg

it helps to give them other things to focus on. This ‘digging box’, for example. Meant to hold blankets & such under the bed, we quickly divined it had a better use.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBM8DeQl4Vk

Thankfully he’s shown little interest in our good furniture, like this coffee table.

6XhuGDA.jpg

That's a mighty fine looking rabbit. Is he/she house trained or do you have an understanding nature?

First, thank you. You’ve made him blush!

ARcReQX.jpg

Call him 99% house trained. He uses a litter tray – actually a gastronorm, sourced at a restaurant supply store. There is no smell, other than the pleasant fragrance of hay, which we also pile in his tray: call it his IN/OUT box.

That percentage goes down when spring fever hits, as it did last week. He’s been leaving a few small patches, usually near his tray. This will go on for a while, then taper off.

red-or-black-enamel-cast-iron-stock-pot_6473.jpg:hungry: :whistle:

eQ3Evua.jpg

Go get him, Chompsky

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg

Mrs M

Guru
View attachment 510087

Yes, we’ve read that they can be very particular about their companions. Given what intensely social creatures they are, we considered bringing one of his brothers home with us too.

View attachment 510088
Waiting patiently for a drink

However, for a variety of reasons we really only wanted one rabbit, and felt that we could give him the company he needed, even if it was of the slightly inferior human variety (hopefully he thinks of us as big, slightly dumb bunnies). Observing his behaviour at the shop, we noticed that he tended to keep himself apart from the others, which marked him out as a good candidate for adoption. Fortunately he has shown no signs of distress, and has bonded with us ever closer over the years.

We involve him in many household chores and activities:

View attachment 510089
Helping with laundry

View attachment 510090
Shredding documents

View attachment 510091
Choosing music

View attachment 510092
Planning menus

View attachment 510093
Even cleaning up after himself

Academics believe the animal could have been kept as an exotic pet. Apparently they are still considered “exotic” by vets, despite being the third most popular pet in the UK. Thanks for showing us your lionhead. Here’s some entertainment for him:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNDZaPCSlVc&t=0m15s

Pictures please!

A lot of bunny proofing went on before we brought him home. This mostly consisted of strategic placement of wires behind barriers. Here, for example, you might be able to make out the glass shelves (bevelled and in great condition, found at the tip) propped up against the wall, protecting an outlet in use.

View attachment 510094

Another view showing a robust belt-and-braces approach, i.e., the completely unecessary rubber tubing I installed over the lead to the floor lamp before finding the glass. (I couldn’t be bothered to remove it.) The sharp eyed will note that he’s found the cable to the TV antenna. He doesn’t know that we don’t have a TV.

View attachment 510095

Skirting boards were mentioned. While he has a few favourite nibbling spots, he’s mostly left them alone.

View attachment 510096

I was quite worried about books, and so employed glass and fireplace screens.

View attachment 510097

View attachment 510098

The drapes in the bedroom, alas, have suffered grievously.

View attachment 510099
View attachment 510100

Leporidae being inveterate nibblers,

View attachment 510101

it helps to give them other things to focus on. This ‘digging box’, for example. Meant to hold blankets & such under the bed, we quickly divined it had a better use.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBM8DeQl4Vk

Thankfully he’s shown little interest in our good furniture, like this coffee table.

View attachment 510102

First, thank you. You’ve made him blush!

View attachment 510103

Call him 99% house trained. He uses a litter tray – actually a gastronorm, sourced at a restaurant supply store. There is no smell, other than the pleasant fragrance of hay, which we also pile in his tray: call it his IN/OUT box.

That percentage goes down when spring fever hits, as it did last week. He’s been leaving a few small patches, usually near his tray. This will go on for a while, then taper off.

View attachment 510104
Go get him, Chompsky

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg

Thanks for the great pics and videos.
He’s so cute!

Top Bottom