House Rabbit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
"Child 2's" Charlie
IMG_20180915_0946410011_zpsn9mmzm5l.jpg

IMG_20180913_1735441701_zpszrydwigv.jpg

He came with another rescue and they were supposed to have been bonded, but with hindsight we don't think they were. Many, many attempts to bond them and to get the other rabbit to bond with us failed. And when she started to attack my daughter, we had to move her to another family where she would be a single.

Ours are litterbox trained the older one is pretty good the younger also uses a corner in his hutch, poor little devil used to be outside 24x7 with no food or water most of the time and no freedom to roam so it's understandable.

we learned the hard way about cables when a few years on my birthday of all days i came downstairs to find he'd been behind the TV and home entertainment systems and ruined several hundred pounds of high quality cabling and somehow managed to nibble all of the live power leads without injury to himself.

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
He came with another rescue and they were supposed to have been bonded, but with hindsight we don't think they were. Many, many attempts to bond them and to get the other rabbit to bond with us failed. And when she started to attack my daughter, we had to move her to another family where she would be a single.

Ouch! They say rabbits aren’t ideal pets for children, but I bet the last thing your daughter expected was to have to fend off such an adorable creature.

Mcx0TRI.jpg

[Paging David Attenborough] Stretch and yawn or prelude to a pounce?

fwm8BKe.jpg

we learned the hard way about cables when a few years on my birthday of all days i came downstairs to find he'd been behind the TV and home entertainment systems and ruined several hundred pounds of high quality cabling and somehow managed to nibble all of the live power leads without injury to himself.

We haven’t had significant loses… a few dangling headphone cords and a charger have, however, been sacrificed to the cause.

Loving the distraction!

Mirror leaning against the wall
Who's the most distracting of them all?

F0RpN13.jpg

Not bovvered

Even after all this time, we still experience the occasional shock of coming into a room and finding a rabbit there.

I4E8oee.jpg

gwwqtxh.jpg

You're out of printer paper

FFLVDSv.jpg

I was just leaving

Even when he’s not in the room, there are clues all over the place; aside from the aforementioned bunny proofing, it’s a safe bet there’s evidence of his habbit of doing takeaway. I’m referring, as some of you will already know, to hay. Not to exaggerate, but it. Gets. Everywhere.

XDI662s.jpg

Not satisfied with the frequently replenished pile in his tray, he often feels the need to drag it out onto the carpeting, perhaps to satisfy his foraging instinct. My wife even used to find the odd strand in her handbag after she’d gone to work in the big city.

jcntEKE.jpg

Hay satisfies both the need for fibre for the constantly moving conveyor belt of this herbivore's digestive system,

LBpfDn1.gif

Not to scale of appetite

but to maintain the health of ever-growing teeth. Common advice is that you should offer them an amount equal to the size of their body every day. Our hungry fella says “You must be joking, mate!” He’s so picky that it’s safe to say we throw at least half of it away.

a8HAmA1.jpg

A week’s supply

Fortunately hay is cheap. We get ours from an animal feed store for £4.25/bale. (Later I shall be examining bunny economics.)

This brings me to Pet Anxiety Awareness month, which apparently March has been. In our case, we’re switching that around to pet owner anxiety month.

Though hay is the bulk of his diet, he also gets a morning and an evening serving of greens.

8vmnVwP.jpg

I can recommend the basil today

ZV7K1r8.jpg

I’m sure you’re aware that it can now be difficult enough stocking your own provisions, let alone those of your small furry charges. We’re just as concerned about maintaining his diet as we are ours. [Snopes: more concerned.] So my wife, his personal chef, has been slowly decreasing his portion size to prepare his stomach for possible lean times.

Ti7BddS.jpg

Ocado still not picking up?

PS. Was a bit surprised nobody called me out on the Shania Twain upthread.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVvjKA22MYs

Last edited:

alicat

Legendary Member
^^^ what Turdus said. I'm loving the pics and thinking how much your rabbit's torso looks like that of a cat.

Today's poem of the day:

for Tarfia and Fita

The rabbit has a funny set of tools. He jumps.
or kicks. muffled and punching up. In pose
the rabbit knows, each side of his face to whom.
he should belong. He hobbles and eyes. This
is the dumb bun allegiance. This bunny, even dry and fluff
is aware, be vicious. will bite down your finger stalk.
will nick you good in the cheery web of your palm.
Those claws are good for traction. and defense.
This bunny, forgive him. There is no ease. His lack
of neck is all the senses about a stillness.
stuck in a calm. until household numbers upend
his floor. until the family upsets the nest
and traipses off. Then stuck in a bunny panic.

We each stab at gratitude. In our nubbing, none
of us do well. We jump. We kangaroo. We soft seeming,
scatter and gnaw. Maybe the only way forward
is to sleep all day. one eye open. under the sink.
Like the rabbit, we could sit in our shoot.
Chew at the leaf of others’ dinner. Make
of each tile on the floor a good spot to piss. No,
it doesn’t get much better. And like the rabbit
we do not jump well from heights. We linger the dark
until it is safe to come out. To offer a nose.
a cheek for touch. the top of a crown. Nothing
makes us happier than another rabbit.

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
To offer a nose

pWpGwUm.jpg

A poem is just what this thread needed, @The Crofted Crest. Puts me in mind of The Language of Lagomorphs:

You’ll be pretty close to the truth if you think of rabbits as being from a society very different from your own, with different priorities, goals, important lessons, and gestures. Learning Rabbit is in some ways like human cultural studies, but of course the subject individuals have much longer ears.

I used their advice to become mates with the rabbit whose picture opens this thread, fake-grooming myself [sorry no pics] to gain his trust.

072lyHa.jpg

You need a hare cut. Geddit?

That was quite a few generations ago now. Currently in the world outside our window:

View: https://youtu.be/iAC8_Rp0a-g
Digging her own delivery room

aJutmHn.jpg

”Here are some I made earlier”

What’s that, you say you’d like to see a doe at feeding time? Here you go:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxmYwOotqY4

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Following on from the video in the post above, here’s a short photo essay I call Dead End:

mqMUw08.jpg

TDYU3Sp.jpg

1psiXhW.jpg

o8Pe3F8.jpg

TUQA33f.jpg

sometimes you have to pull yourself out of one

f7ZAlj6.jpg

The kits in the most recently dug burrow in our garden have yet to emerge into the big bad world. Rabbits in the wild have a brutally brief lifespan, a year or two on average.

mYe2vaC.jpg

Domestic bunnies can stretch that out to a decade or longer, if you’re lucky. We’ve got all our fingers crossed.

rLAekvF.jpg

A note about video production: I’m more into still pictures than moving ones, and it shows. To make up for this I try to add value to the project by subtitling [zum Beispiel, as Google Translate tells me the Germans would say], or what I call enhanced talkies. Unfortunately YouTube keeps throwing up errors when I try to edit the video of the mum digging. To make up for that, we once again present the little star of this particular show:

View: https://youtu.be/l48HweKRVr8

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Four storeys !
I like their little shelter.
Did they deliver the eggs on spoonerisms?
More pics plz.
Here’s their set up.
the hutch is a rabbit sky tower, it’s over 5’6’’ tall. It’s so big my children can’t clean it because it’s too high and too deep. It’s permanently connected to a homemade run by a tunnel purchased from runaround.
They are rescue rabbits from an animal shelter in Essex. The brown one is male, the black one is female. The shelter ensured they were both given the snip, so no danger of multiplying.

https://www.runaround.co.uk/

Top Bottom