House Rabbit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
It will enjoy such a great quality of life in a house. Do they use a kitty litter tray though or just randomly on the carpet?

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Initially inside he used his litter tray practically perfectly. He has a big rug in the hall with all his bits and pieces on and he would leave the occasional little nugget on the rug, never wee, but 99% of the time just went in his tray. He's had a couple of bouts of stasis (gut motility problems) in the last 18 months though and since those he just poops everywhere on his big rug. We have some small washable doormats and he likes to wee on those fortunately. You just have to sweep the poo up, change the mats and pressure wash the mucky one outside. We have a carpet washer we use on the big rug as necessary. It's all a pain to be honest but he seems happy enough and we love him so we're happy to put up with the hassle.

Not all rabbits will cooperate with a litter tray but he was used to the ones in the hutch outside so was already in the habit. I think being inside has extended his life. Nice and warm, can't be scared by foxes, always checking on him so we pick up on illnesses immediately. Do feel bad that he doesn't have the run of the garden anymore but I think he's happier indoors in his old age. People regularly say to me, 'How is that rabbit still alive?!' lol.

When he was at the vet with his eye ulcer they were surprised anyone was willing to spend £200 on treatment for a 13 year old rabbit, never mind ask about a £1k operation for him. The average life span of a domestic rabbit is 2 or 3 years, I think. They are often neglected and when they get ill owners don't want to spend the money. Loads in rescues at the moment, bought as lockdown pets then the kids lost interest.

Last edited:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Daughter 2 had a rescue that died about 3 years ago. He used to follow me around the garden like a dog. A bugger for nibbling wires though and useless using his litter tray.
She now has another one. Also a rescue, but this time left at the vets where she has a placement. She nursed him back to health and he is quite a character. A genuine house rabbit.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
C80BC55F-E220-46F4-BE65-D8DC22148714.jpeg

Ours are 100% outdoor rabbits with permanent access to their large run and multi storey hutch.
They are now both 7 years old.
The older they get the worse they are at using their litter tray and seem to wee almost anywhere.
When you see them interacting with one another and the companionship it provides, you realise how cruel it is to have a single rabbit in a small hutch.
White one is female and brown one is male. Ours are both rescue rabbits, they were both neutered before we could take them home, there is no need to buy them from a pet shop.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Lovely bunnies, Beebo. Yes, they need a friend or at the bare minimum a lot of interaction. I have a feeling some rescues only rehome pairs now. When you see them flopped out side by side in the sunshine or grooming and snuggling you realise what social little things they are. Brought ours inside as we couldn't bare him being outside on his own over winter when the other one passed away.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Lovely bunnies, Beebo. Yes, they need a friend or at the bare minimum a lot of interaction. I have a feeling some rescues only rehome pairs now. When you see them flopped out side by side in the sunshine or grooming and snuggling you realise what social little things they are. Brought ours inside as we couldn't bare him being outside on his own over winter when the other one passed away.
Maybe we will have to do that when one dies.
Our rescue centre would only rehome in pairs and needed to see their accommodation too.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Maybe we will have to do that when one dies.
Our rescue centre would only rehome in pairs and needed to see their accommodation too.
That happened with my daughter's first rabbit, but the pair were completely incompatible and they hadn't been paired properly before we acquired them. We eventually had to rehome the aggressive one, as it was unfair on the other rabbit. And Charlie who remained, was much happier being the centre of all my daughter's attention.
Daughter 2's current rabbit pretty much has the run of her flat and he seems intuitive if she is feeling physically or mentally crap. But his more adventurous nature sometimes gets him into bother. She came home from work one time, to find him sitting on her desk unable to get down. He has also jumped into her (empty) bath and found himself unable to get out.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Yes, rabbits are fussy and won't always bond with others. You can't just chuck them together like guinea pigs. Once puberty kicks in they will often start fighting or even if they just have a falling out they can be very vicious to each other, scarily so. I had to rebond ours a couple of times when young, which was laborious and exhausting. Once they were a few years old though they were pretty happy together.

They can jump surprisingly high or will even bounce off walls in order to get over fences or obstacles. Ours had a spell of jumping on to the sofa til he got bored of it. They are also very quiet. One minute they are on the other side of the room and when you blink they are next to your face, like Weeping Angels. Such clever, inquisitive little things.

This thread reminds me so much of dearly-loved Sandy.

As a child, in the 1950s, I had the obligatory 'rabbit in a hutch' - Sandy was my birthday present as an 8 or 9 year old. It was 1973 or 74 when my mum told me that she'd found Sandy, still warm, curled up dead in the sleeping section of his hutch.

As a pet rabbit 'back in the day' he was, of course kept alone and had no vaccinations or anything like that. He did, however, get lots of interaction with my mum as our cat favoured my dad and me, and the dog specifically my dad - and I was pony-mad. By the time I left home at 17, he had had the run of half of the garden and the scullery for a good few years and very rarely soiled in the scullery, although mum said she'd often found his hard droppings on the door mat. His hutch was opened in the morning and he was shut in, for his own protection, last thing at night. Apparently he never used to have to be put back in his hutch once he'd become accustomed to his semi-freedom, he hopped in of his own accord in the evening. I think my mum's habit of giving him a bit of a treat once he was in his hutch might have had a lot to do with that!

As he got older his sight started to deteriorate and his eyes went cloudy - cataracts I presume - but it really didn't hinder him in any way as long as everything - his food bowls and so on - remained in the same place.

Eventually he started having problems with his teeth. His molars were fine - he always had lots of hay to chew on - but his incisors were overgrowing and making it difficult for him to eat; mum thought it looked as if bits were chipped off or sharp, so she took him to the vets where they laughed at her. Well, I don't know that they actually laughed - more likely said Sorry, there's nothing we can do - as I think he must have been around nine or ten when she took him and already considered very old for a rabbit at a time when small animal medicine was really still in its infancy in many ways.

So dear mum - who had a lifelong severe phobia of dentists in general - bravely went to the dentist in the village, and asked him to help. Mr Hoogi was an absolute pet and did so, gently grinding down Sandy's teeth a little bit at a time over several days while mum held Sandy. Neither of them really knew what they were doing, but as he would have starved to death without help, and the vets couldn't/wouldn't help, it seemed a reasonable thing to do. All went well and Mr Hoogi gave my mum some sort of manual file thing, which she used to smooth off any edges and for general maintenance. Sandy used to get hay ad lib - I had horses, and my uncle was a local farrier, so there was always plenty of that available - vegetable scraps and corn from the horse's and chicken's feed, and as he got older, mum would give him the scrapings of the porridge pan every morning in winter - Scottish porridge, made with just oats and water - as it was warm and mum felt it was 'good for him'

Maybe it was good for him - or maybe he was just lucky - as he lived what I like to think was, at least for the time, a happy, healthy life until he was well into his teens, in the days when pet rabbits had virtually no veterinary care available and myxomatosis was widespread.

Many years later, I looked after a house rabbit while a friend was away for a few months. Mr Bunbury was HILARIOUS, bossy and somewhat territorial - and insisted on making his presence felt if he wanted attention. He was spotlessly clean in the house, apart from the occasional rabbitcurrant - except that the first night I had him, he peed ON me just the once. His point made, and his litter boxes located where he liked them, he never did it again.

Happy memories!

What a lovely, lovely story, Norah. Sounds like Sandy had a perfect life to be honest.

Sandy was a dear love. Nothing special to look at - just a gold/fawn-coloured bunny from a pet shop - but the nicest character. I would've loved to have taken him out and about on a harness, as I did with Mr Bunbury many years later - in fact I have vague memories of trying to make him one out of ribbon or tape, and my parents forbidding it, pointing out that dogs often roamed loose in the village streets (common back in the 1950s) and even if Sandy didn't 'catch something' from all their mess, they would probably want to attack him ...

Mrs M

Guru
Nice to catch up on this thread and see some bunny pics. We thought we were going to lose our bun early last year. He developed a very bad eye ulcer which initially didn't response to antibiotics. Kept on with the eyes drops for weeks though and eventually it started getting better. Eye is permanently damaged but he lives inside so he can manage. He's nearly 14 now I think - had him so long I lose track - sleeps a lot but still has a good quality of life hopefully. Loves his kale, rooting for treats in his hay box, and a nose rub.

14! 🥰

Top Bottom