House Rabbit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
My dog shows no interest in domesticated chickens and ducks, even though ducks are on the top of her list for catching. She is discouraged from chasing anything with fur but she will still start a chase on rabbits. I have always wondered what she would do if she came accross a domesticated rabbit. Is it the fact that they ignore her the reason why she doesn't go for them. One day I hope I don't find out!

On the subject of fear, I came across this today from an article in Discover magazine:

“Using high-resolution MRI imaging, they scanned the brains of both wild and domestic rabbits to pinpoint differences that could explain their behavior. They found that in the eight pet rabbits they scanned, the amygdala, a part of the brain that processes fear, was 10 percent smaller than in their wild counterparts. At the same time, the medial prefrontal cortex — the area that controls responses to fear — was 11 percent bigger in pet rabbits. The scientists also discovered that the brains of domesticated rabbits have less white matter than their wild relatives, making them less able to process information — and dampening that primal instinct to flee.”

Chompsky still catches fright regularly, and if sufficiently rattled, hides behind the couch, his safe place. Doesn’t like big birds,

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwwXnh4ULZI&t=1m37s

low flying planes or helicopters (the military takes a short cut through our valley from time to time), the sound of the boiler kicking in, and probably the smell of foxes. Or the sight of either of us walking into a room carrying something which distorts the shape he’s used to.

When he’s really alarmed he’ll stomp his hind legs. The worst is when he lets out a rabbit’s version of a wail: it sounds a little like Chewbacca(!), but not so long-winded. He made that noise the first time he caught sight of a sheep just outside the window. Fortunately he’s used to them now.

View: https://youtu.be/qeuL5IGimCQ

I often feed him on my lap. More than once he’s gotten spooked by whatever, pivoted in a flash, and launched himself with a swift kick to my groin. Domesticated though he may be, he’s still wild at heart.

Last edited:
@anothersam

View: https://youtu.be/qeuL5IGimCQ

I believe thats classed as sheep worrying!

Cycling_Samurai

That is very pleasant to read about. The misses and I got a Holland Lop over 5 years ago. We share our flat with him. He mostly stays on the balcony and behind the couch. He does lounge on the livingroom floor in the evenings and at night. He is definitely does not wonder around as much as your rabbit appears to.

Attachments

• 20201115_150037.jpg
    20201115_150037.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 12

Cycling_Samurai

Looks nothing like me........
Rocky Balboa (Rocky IV)

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Just catching up on this thread and saw that someone mentioned litter trays. If you buy them at Pets at Home they are about £7. But if you go to Wilkinsons you can get seed trays that are actually heavier and often bigger for £3 - the Black Premium Gravel Tray. The sides aren't very high so no so good if you have a rabbit that likes to wee up walls (unneutered ones do sometimes), but they aren't on most litter trays anyway. We have a few of these and they are pretty much unchewable and I think our bunny finds them better to sit in because they are slightly textured as opposed to shiny plastic.

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-black-premium-gravel-tray-52cm/p/0099388

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Just catching up on this thread and saw that someone mentioned litter trays. If you buy them at Pets at Home they are about £7. But if you go to Wilkinsons you can get seed trays that are actually heavier and often bigger for £3 - the Black Premium Gravel Tray. The sides aren't very high so no so good if you have a rabbit that likes to wee up walls (unneutered ones do sometimes), but they aren't on most litter trays anyway. We have a few of these and they are pretty much unchewable and I think our bunny finds them better to sit in because they are slightly textured as opposed to shiny plastic.

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-black-premium-gravel-tray-52cm/p/0099388

Another thumbs up for Wilko gravel trays, but note they are now £4!

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Just seen this thread for the first time. We are the proud owners of two rabbits which live mostly inside with us. They live slouching in front of the telly or behind the sofa where it seems warm.
We never really planned on getting them but our rabbits at work gave birth and one of our pair was the runt of the group and did not look like it would survive. She had an eye infection and the other rabbits had nibbled her ear tips plus she was half the size of the others. So she came home with her brother ( we still hadn’t been able to gender them at this point)
Thankfully she came through and along with her brother ( now neutered) have become part of the family in a big way. If it wasn’t for the ears, we could easily compare them to cats in the way they act and show their affection
They do like to hang out in the garage when I’m working on my bikes
78B6DBE2-8F41-4D7B-941E-59E9F1BCA4A9.jpeg

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Nice to catch up on this thread and see some bunny pics. We thought we were going to lose our bun early last year. He developed a very bad eye ulcer which initially didn't response to antibiotics. Kept on with the eyes drops for weeks though and eventually it started getting better. Eye is permanently damaged but he lives inside so he can manage. He's nearly 14 now I think - had him so long I lose track - sleeps a lot but still has a good quality of life hopefully. Loves his kale, rooting for treats in his hay box, and a nose rub.

Top Bottom