How are internet radio stations funded?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
For the last month or two I've been listening to an internet radio station called "Anarchy and Angels"*. In the tens of hours I've listened there has not been one advert or one DJ talking - it's literally one record after another after another...

So who pays the bills? I assume it must cost something?

*Playing punk / new wave type songs. Appreciate it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it works for me:okay:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It'll be funded by the owner buying streaming space, which is cheaper than you might think these days for a small service.

They should pay royalty fees but may not.

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
[QUOTE 4949786, member: 9609"]Sounds wonderful, I hate adverts and I am sick of the same tedious radio 2 DJs

Does it have News ? I try my best to avoid anything to do with News these days, so a radio staion without news would be a real bonus[/QUOTE]

No news, just literally song after song, nothing else.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
As DCLane says probably it is relatively cheap to run. Listeners have monetary value, if they build them up with "free" music then if they slip in a couple of adverts per hour you are likely to remain listening. Or they can just sell the station to someone who will.

That is just a guess of course, they could be doing it just for kicks.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Does anybody remember Radio Geronimo? It used to broadcast from an AM transmitter in Monte Carlo in about 1970. It played absolutely fantastic records. They had a husky-voiced lady urging listeners to send a few shillings to support the station. For a schoolboy, she was hopelessly exciting......

"I just love to ball with guys who listen Radio Geronimo..."

keithmac

Guru
I listen to Absolute Radio 90's over streaming, that has a few adverts but worth putting up with!.

Unbelievable amount of internet radio stations, must be thousands!.

KneesUp

Guru
I listen to Absolute Radio 90's over streaming, that has a few adverts but worth putting up with!.

Unbelievable amount of internet radio stations, must be thousands!.
Mrs Knees like Absolute 90s but we must get a different stream, or you're more tolerant that me, because our version seems to be almost continual adverts interspersed with Jamiroquai and Ocean Colour Scene.

keithmac

Guru
Mrs Knees like Absolute 90s but we must get a different stream, or you're more tolerant that me, because our version seems to be almost continual adverts interspersed with Jamiroquai and Ocean Colour Scene.

I think of you sign up there's no adds at all, might give it a go!.

Drago

Legendary Member
I think of you sign up there's no adds at all, might give it a go!.

That's almost as bad as the commercial local radio Mrs D enjoys. Their playlist consists of Don't Speak and Gangsters Paradise, and every 56th advert they slip in Rio by Duran Duran. Mindless, dreadful aural diarohea for the short of intellect and attention

Top Bottom