How are we finding the used market?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I think that was a good job for my sake - saw your ad and location last night and got all manner of impure thoughts until I saw that it'd sold!

Looked really nice :smile:

Thanks - makes sense but tbh there's no way I'm pulling it all to bits to lash those hateful granite tyres back onto it again. Any interest on FB seems to have dried up so it looks like I'll have to resort to evil-bay, as much as I despise it. Haven't seen any "fee free" promos for ages though which makes me wonder if they're flooded with traffic..
They had £1 fees a couple of weeks back

pjd57

Veteran
I had planned on waiting until the winter and the glut of Covid bikes then getting myself a road bike.

But I saw a second hand Dolan preffisio for sale in the LBS..... belonging to one of the mechanics.

We settled on £350 ...... pleased with that.

Saw one on Glasgow gumtree last night for £300 but since the one I bought was in great condition I'm not bothered by that.

Definitely some bargains about

I won’t use eb@‘ for bike sales, but I’ve had no interest for my 29er mtb. I’ll hang on to it and keep speaking with those local to me who may want this at some stage.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
No, never had a Columbus frame, I have had 501,531,Ti Aluminium,Carbon, so I have been looking, it needs to be something that takes my eye though, I would build it with modern components not period.

It might be worth speaking to Simonnici as they had quite a few used frames a while back but the shipping from Italy was expensive unless you bring in 2 or 3 at a time

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
For what it's worth older road bikes ie 70's - 90's have stalled all year unless something really special
Modern ie 2000 yr onwards road bikes under £250 still selling well
Newer bikes selling if priced under £250 after that very slow
Some bargains to be had on steel road bikes

Do you reckon it's the downtube shifters on the lugged steel era stuff that's putting off the punters? 80's and 90's bikes are every bit as useable as modern ones, if not more so.
Those of us old enough to have ridden bikes with friction shifters as kids or older teenagers are familiar with them, and once you've ridden a newly acquired but old bike for a few minutes and done a couple of gearchanges it all becomes second nature even if you haven't ridden that type of bike for years. I can see why anyone who never grew up with those sort of bikes might be wary of them though.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Do you reckon it's the downtube shifters on the lugged steel era stuff that's putting off the punters? 80's and 90's bikes are every bit as useable as modern ones, if not more so.
Those of us old enough to have ridden bikes with friction shifters as kids or older teenagers are familiar with them, and once you've ridden a newly acquired but old bike for a few minutes and done a couple of gearchanges it all becomes second nature even if you haven't ridden that type of bike for years. I can see why anyone who never grew up with those sort of bikes might be wary of them though.
There is a road test I've seen somewhere or other on the Raleigh 753 1980's team replica which mentions the D/T friction shifters being "Perilously close to the front tyre". I suppose if you've only ever ridden bikes with brifters it would look a bit dangerous, though as you say it was never a problem for anyone, even the most ham fisted rider.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
@wafter £1 selling fees offer available this weekend
Thanks - appreciate the heads-up!

Evidently you got targeted with a different promo as I noticed 1% selling fees earlier today; same difference though. Will be sticking the bike on tomorrow :smile:

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I'll be listing the Eclipse on Gumtree later this week, it'll be interesting to see what the response is.
Good luck :smile:

Got a bite on the Ofo earlier on FB marketplace, however when I replied a few hours later the guy was no longer bothered so I guess had found an alternative. Will be interesting to see how it goes on ebay; I hope I'll at least be able to flog it!

Top Bottom