How can Donhou charge £2300 for an off the shelf 853 frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
To me the question is not why this frame is expensive, but why is double the price of a bespoke frame in 853 from any one of the top builders: Argos, woodrup, rourke et al.

Great question. One I'd certainly consider asking if I was auditioning Tom to supply me with an 853 frame. "Tom" I'd say "Help me out, buddy. I've got a Genesis Equilibrium 853 frame with a lousy unappealing paint-job at home, why would I need to spend 3x the cost of that frame to buy one of yours?"

Typically it is one of many related questions which the lame and too often fawning cycling press conspicuously fail to ask advertisers suppliers when the price of equipment appears to be out of whack.

So why doesn't one of those forum members who are so outraged by his pricing ask him? He doesn;t have a low profile and seems quite a personable chap. @donhoubicycles on Twitter or plain old tom@donhoubicycles.com if you prefer email. Let us all know what he says. Of course, he may decide you aren't serious about buying one and may think answering to be a waste of his valuable time.

ayceejay

Guru
The frame on this de Rosa would set you back around £3500. it has many up to the minute features.
de-rosa-king-xs-nero-lucido-2015.jpg

Citius

So why doesn't one of those forum members who are so outraged by his pricing ask him? He doesn;t have a low profile and seems quite a personable chap.

I'm sure he is. He can charge whatever he likes, and doesn't need to justify the price. I wouldn't trouble him with such a question.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'm sure he is. He can charge whatever he likes, and doesn't need to justify the price. I wouldn't trouble him with such a question.
Surely your question, if you had the stones to ask it, would be

"Tom, are the folk who buy your frames mugs?"

;)

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
18021.jpg

Not even its mother could love that paintwork. £699 to you sir. I got mine cheaper and have learned to ignore the paint. And I rejoice that I seem to fit standard sizes without all the scrupulous tweaking some require to be comfy.

Do I think it is comparable to a Donhou? Comparable, yes, equivalent, no.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I've asked him on twitter....

Citius

Surely your question, if you had the stones to ask it, would be

"Tom, are the folk who buy your frames mugs?"

;)

Unless his real name is Gerald Ratner, that's not going to happen. Like I said though, Mr Donhou can charge whatever he likes for a frame. That's never been my issue

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
But surely only a "mug" would pay that sort of money for a carbon frame, with cheaper, better options available in the market place :whistle:
Pray what is wrong with a BSO from Tesco a £500 Carrera an entry level bike? Why pay more for anything than the cheapest sort of a thing....?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Unless his real name is Gerald Ratner, that's not going to happen. Like I said though, Mr Donhou can charge whatever he likes for a frame. That's never been my issue
You might need to clarify what you issue is then.... see thread title for details.

ayceejay

Guru
But surely only a "mug" would pay that sort of money for a carbon frame, with cheaper, better options available in the market place :whistle:
touche Jo!
If anyone wanted to buy the best frame they could afford looking at several would be the way to go, if you bought the first one you saw without comparing it to others based on whatever criteria floats your boat you would be a mug.

Top Bottom