How can Donhou charge £2300 for an off the shelf 853 frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I think all the other frames are under priced. Also how can two handmade by different people frames be comparable, I would say they are unique.
^This.

I've a theory. They are underpriced because they are from established framemakers who feel they are in competition with one another, and also with the far-east, and they feel the competition is based on price. I think they are somewhat mistaken in the first instance, distracted by the second and very much mistaken in the third.

Donhou has clearly decided to step away from a race to the bottom based on price alone. Though I can't find a comparable frame with fitted CK headset and carbon disc fork to price against.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
So I asked him on Twitter

"I'd love me a sweet 853 frame but what justifies the cost of the Signature Steel frames compared with other folks product?"

and he replied

"far more than can be explained in a tweet. If you'd like to give me a call I would be happy to explain."

If I come into a few bob, or get a new, decent, job before the summer I think his attitude is worth the phone call.

Last edited:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Let's try to be clearer. I do think they are mugs - I'm sorry, but I do.
Am I going to protest outside Mr Donhou's premises with banners? No.
Am I going to try to convince people to buy something else? No.
Am I still entitled to hold my view? Yes.
Is that a problem for some of you? Probably, if this thread is anything to go by.
You are absolutely entitled to your opinions and to express them. Yet insulting strangers on the basis that their choices are not the same as yours isn't the hallmark of a fun and friendly online cycling community, tis all. It does come across as a little envious even if that is not your intent.

Were we all to meet over a pint I'm sure several of us would be interested to learn where each sets their mug-dom threshold on a component-by-component, bike-by-bike, clothing-item-by-clothing-item basis....

BigAl68

Über Member
If you have the money buy what you like. I would love one of those crazy one off hand painted pegoretti frames but until I get a few winning lottery tickets I won't.

Citius

You are absolutely entitled to your opinions and to express them. Yet insulting strangers on the basis that their choices are not the same as yours isn't the hallmark of a fun and friendly online cycling community, tis all. It does come across as a little envious even if that is not your intent.

So either it is ok to do it, or it isn't - I'm not clear. There is no envy here, and I'm not sure why you think there is. If I wanted a Donhou (or any other) frame, I could buy one tomorrow without reaching for the credit card. That really isn't the issue.

BigAl68

Über Member
custom enigma would top my list, lottery wise. (Or a Donhou)

A nice ti enigma. Very nice

Citius

^This.

I've a theory. They are underpriced because they are from established framemakers who feel they are in competition with one another, and also with the far-east, and they feel the competition is based on price. I think they are somewhat mistaken in the first instance, distracted by the second and very much mistaken in the third.

Donhou has clearly decided to step away from a race to the bottom based on price alone. Though I can't find a comparable frame with fitted CK headset and carbon disc fork to price against.

Hang on - I missed this earlier. So Donhou - by charging twice the cost of the others - is the only one who is pricing his frames fairly?

bpsmith

Veteran
So either it is ok to do it, or it isn't - I'm not clear. There is no envy here, and I'm not sure why you think there is. If I wanted a Donhou (or any other) frame, I could buy one tomorrow without reaching for the credit card. That really isn't the issue.
What is the issue then? Many are honestly confused here!

Are you honestly telling us that, you are a person of reasonable wealth, yet you only ever buy the cheapest of any item as more expensive items hold no additional value to you?

Let's forget the confrontational posting for a bit and be honest, so we can truly understand your point?

Citius

Are you honestly telling us that, you are a person of reasonable wealth, yet you only ever buy the cheapest of any item as more expensive items hold no additional value to you?

No!! Why does it always have to be diametric absolutes with you lot? Of course more expensive items hold additional value - providing that value is proven. But there is a massive difference (in my mind at least) between value and cost.

853 has historically cost a certain amount. Someone new then comes along and hikes up the price by 100%. So while the cost may have risen 100%, I dont accept that the value has. So in my view, he is over-charging. He is perfectly entitled to do that. But if you pay it, I think you're a mug. It won't stop you doing it though, and that's fine. But is also doesn't change my opinion.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
What is the issue then? Many are honestly confused here!

Let's forget the confrontational posting for a bit and be honest, so we can truly understand your point?

A hilleberg tent is buttock-clenchingly expensive, but is superior and nicer than a merely good tent at half the price.
However this bike seems expensive for what it is. We've had name calling, but I'm not clear what the "better", or even nicer is for this item? My dream bike would be a bespoke blinged up Woodrup, or Argos or whatever, which is still a lot cheaper than this thing. My question isn't rhetorical - what are you getting for double (or whatever) the price of some pretty high-end alternatives, on the surface rather higher-end alternatives it would seem to me?

Top Bottom