How can Donhou charge £2300 for an off the shelf 853 frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
As far as I can tell, the only 'fact' we've managed to establish so far is that the frames are over-priced.
Nope. We think we've established the price of the frame fork and headset and then we think we've deduced the price of the frame.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Hang on - I missed this earlier. So Donhou - by charging twice the cost of the others - is the only one who is pricing his frames fairly?
But he isnt charging twice the price.....also other suppliers are not offering disc brake frames in 853 pro tubing are they, so on that premis his charging is based on offering a premium frame, handbuilt, with disc brakes.....

Do you get it now or are you just out to argue this for the sake of it?

Citius

Because he can. The devil is in the detail.

I know he can - I'm fine with that.

Anyway, we're descending into silliness now - and Jowwy in an earlier post did manage to point out that the price breakdown might have been a bit misleading. So I'm happy to leave it there, unless anyone has any further questions?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Anyway, we're descending into silliness now - and Jowwy in an earlier post did manage to point out that the price breakdown might have been a bit misleading. So I'm happy to leave it there, unless anyone has any further questions?
Now s/he says. Now.

But actually I've got one...

Can you provide a link to a builder who lists an OTS 853 ProTeam disc frame with fitted CK head set and identical carbon disc fork. Then I could compare apples with apples.

OP
OP
Eurostar

Eurostar

Guru
If anyone is planning to talk to Mr Donhou I would be interested to know whether he had to do any development and testing to get the rear brake mount on there correctly, or whether it was just a case of picking a braze-on from the Ceeway catalogue and attaching it in the pre-ordained place.

Citius

But actually I've got one...

You've got one of the frames in question? No wonder you're cross. Anyway, I admire your honesty. It takes a lot for a man to admit his mistakes, so well done ;)

(and yes, I am joking)

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
If anyone is planning to talk to Mr Donhou I would be interested to know whether he had to do any development and testing to get the rear brake mount on there correctly, or whether it was just a case of picking a braze-on from the Ceeway catalogue and attaching it in the pre-ordained place.
Cotic tried that approach. They don't use 853 stays anymore. The two things may, or may not, be connected.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
You've got one of the frames in question? No wonder you're cross. Anyway, I admire your honesty. It takes a lot for a man to admit his mistakes, so well done ;)

(and yes, I am joking)
If Genesis made an 853 Equilibrium disc frame with a disc fork I'd buy one tomorrow and replace my rim brake Equilibrium 853 f+f. I'd even settle for a steel disc fork pro tem. and another reynolds-inspired lousy colour scheme.

(and no I'm not joking)

Citius

If Genesis made an 853 Equilibrium disc frame with a disc fork I'd buy one tomorrow and replace my rim brake Equilibrium 853 f+f. I'd even settle for a steel disc fork pro tem. and another reynolds-inspired lousy colour scheme.

(and no I'm not joking)

Well, Genesis do a 725 disk frame & fork - and 725 is Reynolds' 6th best tubing, so still pretty high up the order... :smile:

OP
OP
Eurostar

Eurostar

Guru

(and no I'm not joking)
So you have a Genesis 853? Who built the frame? I've just read two Genesis 853 reviews and the question doesn't even come up. The Genesis site says "We’re honest about what we make and where we make it" but I can't find any mention of where/who the framebuilder(s) is/are.

Citius

The Genesis site says "We’re honest about what we make and where we make it" but I can't find any mention of where/who the framebuilder(s) is/are.

Could be wrong, but I think the frames are Taiwanese-built. Not that it should make any difference, as the guys out there have had plenty of practice at joining tubes.

Top Bottom