How can Donhou charge £2300 for an off the shelf 853 frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
My Genesis is gorgeous and comfortable, I don't really care who/where/how it was made :smile: It's a unique spec in terms of components (well I'd be very surprised if the exact same spec was on the roads anywhere)
(I did get the frame reduced FWIW)

OP
OP
Eurostar

Eurostar

Guru
My Genesis is gorgeous and comfortable, I don't really care who/where/how it was made :smile: It's a unique spec in terms of components (well I'd be very surprised if the exact same spec was on the roads anywhere)
I'm sure the quality is very high. Those Madison boys are clever fellows

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Madison also created Kryptonite locks,

Are you certain about that. iirc they date back at least as far as the 80's and were founded in the US

The best way to get value from a Genesis bike or frame is to wait for a sale. Then you can be sure that a nice chunk of those hidden profit margins are going into your pocket. Here's an example - a 2014 853 frameset with cro mo forks and headset for £349 http://www.ukbikesdepot.com/m90b185..._soGIjg_szW2qdhWVT_4MnlpRFieGztELoaAvCz8P8HAQ
http://www.ukbikesdepot.com/m90b185..._soGIjg_szW2qdhWVT_4MnlpRFieGztELoaAvCz8P8HAQ

The best way to get value from any mass-market brand, and I doubt many Genesis buyers are under any illusion as to who and what Genesis are, is to do that. But you may find getting a frame that fits you to be a challenge.

The bike trade is sometimes very opaque. When I visited Dave Yates on my '80s Condor 753 I discovered he had built it.
and incestuous ime. The little frame shops do work for each other, the people move from one to another, and the mass market brands all come out of the same Taiwanese factories as everyoneelse's badge-engineered products.[/quote]

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
My Genesis Equilibrium 853 is a thing of beauty. And as I built it myself, like yours, it is unique, And because the paintwork is so uninspiring to look at it is a good job its beauty is more than skin deep!

I plan, one day, to get it resprayed in the gorgeous copper metallic they did a couple of years back.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Soz. couldn't resist.

2014-07-03%2016.15.01.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
Nothing uninspiring here colour wise (IMO)

I really must get some better photos!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
Eurostar

Eurostar

Guru
Are you certain about that. iirc they date back at least as far as the 80's and were founded in the US

The best way to get value from any mass-market brand, and I doubt many Genesis buyers are under any illusion as to who and what Genesis are, is to do that. But you may find getting a frame that fits you to be a challenge.

and incestuous ime. The little frame shops do work for each other, the people move from one to another, and the mass market brands all come out of the same Taiwanese factories as everyoneelse's badge-engineered products.
[/QUOTE]

Re Kryptonite, I actually had to go to a tumbledown hovel in Sheffield in the early 80s to buy the U shaped bits of steel from a one man band. I still feel ashamed about the way we screwed the poor bugger down on price. We encouraged the perception that Kryptonite was a US brand - perceived value etc. We also drafted the terms of the guarantee so carefully that it was virtually impossible for anyone to claim if their lock had been cut and their bike stolen.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

Re Kryptonite, I actually had to go to a tumbledown hovel in Sheffield in the early 80s to buy the U shaped bits of steel from a one man band. I still feel ashamed about the way we screwed the poor bugger down on price. We encouraged the perception that Kryptonite was a US brand - perceived value etc. We also drafted the terms of the guarantee so carefully that it was virtually impossible for anyone to claim if their lock had been cut and their bike stolen.[/QUOTE]
http://www.kryptonitelock.com/en/our-story/company-history.html

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Green tape would improve yours :smile:
Can't find one in the right shade, and the tyres and downtube are already a mismatch. I found a yellow tape that matches but don't have the stones for that. And I like leather tape and for tape to match the saddle.

I even gave serious thought to a custom Charge saddle but realised it was proof I had more money than sense.

OP
OP
Eurostar

Eurostar

Guru
Re Kryptonite, I actually had to go to a tumbledown hovel in Sheffield in the early 80s to buy the U shaped bits of steel from a one man band. I still feel ashamed about the way we screwed the poor bugger down on price. We encouraged the perception that Kryptonite was a US brand - perceived value etc. We also drafted the terms of the guarantee so carefully that it was virtually impossible for anyone to claim if their lock had been cut and their bike stolen.
http://www.kryptonitelock.com/en/our-story/company-history.html[/QUOTE]

I've just been looking at that! I know we got them made here, printed the packaging here etc. We must have done it under licence. It was in 1984.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yours looks more like the flagship than mine does! Though maybe the battleship grey is meant to do the flagship thing.
The grey was chosen to go with the Genesis lettering...my views on black are well documented! The saddle cost me £80 (and is a Specialized :sad: ) but it was the only grey WSD saddle I could find and it does match well...hopefully it'll become more comfortable one day (although I did do a 100km on it ok, maybe more than one)

Top Bottom