How can Donhou charge £2300 for an off the shelf 853 frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Pray what is wrong with a BSO from Tesco a £500 Carrera an entry level bike? Why pay more for anything than the cheapest sort of a thing....?

well no, that's not the question. Why is it double the "going rate" for some of the UK's most respected bespoke framebuilders' 853 frames? I think we can all understand why it's better than summat from Halfords.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
From looking at the original post tho - the frame itself is actually £1700 and not the 2.3k that others have posted

Chris king headset - £125
Enve carbon disc fork - £460

So give or take a few pounds it makes the frame less than what was originally quoted by citrius in post 3 i believe....

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
touche Jo!
If anyone wanted to buy the best frame they could afford looking at several would be the way to go, if you bought the first one you saw without comparing it to others based on whatever criteria floats your boat you would be a mug.

Depends on their definition of the word best really...they could think the best is the very first thing they like the look of...

Citius

From looking at the original post tho - the frame itself is actually £1700 and not the 2.3k that others have posted

So give or take a few pounds it makes the frame less than what was originally quoted by citrius in post 3 i believe....

£2.3k was the price as stated in the OP and the thread title. Maybe you missed that.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
well no, that's not the question. Why is it double the "going rate" for some of the UK's most respected bespoke framebuilders' 853 frames? I think we can all understand why it's better than summat from Halfords.
Is the "better" objective or subjective? In the hands of an ordinary non-professional non-elite non-1st category rider does the more costly equipment actually perform better than the less costly? When I rode LONJOG I was accompanied by someone on a Carrera whilst I was on something 3x the price. He got to JOG without issue, well apart from a very explosive tyre blowout, as did I. Was my riding experience better, was my bike better, and, if so, how would we measure that difference

Is the difference in value difference between high price bikes and lower priced bike intrinsic or extrinsic?

Does a Rolex tell the time better than a Swatch?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
@Citius a PS. Out on my ride y'day I saw a heck of a lot of Rapha gear, belonging to and on various members of the Twickenham CC and their riding buddies. If they'd ridden to where I was riding no way were they 'fakengers'.

Of course I let the side down by not wearing any lycra at all.

Citius

How are these people an issue for you/us/the world in general? Genuine question.

They are not an issue in the slightest. But it doesn't stop me from holding that view.

Citius

So

But

OK. I see. Or not.

Wait... I've got it...

You are Leon Festinger AICMFP

Let's try to be clearer. I do think they are mugs - I'm sorry, but I do.
Am I going to protest outside Mr Donhou's premises with banners? No.
Am I going to try to convince people to buy something else? No.
Am I still entitled to hold my view? Yes.
Is that a problem for some of you? Probably, if this thread is anything to go by.

OP
OP
Eurostar

Eurostar

Guru

That's a good point - I had no idea the forks are so expensive!

screenman

Legendary Member
I think all the other frames are under priced. Also how can two handmade by different people frames be comparable, I would say they are unique.

Top Bottom