How can i turn this into my commuter bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfromotley

And is it worth it?
kupnm.jpg

Got it of the local tip and its sound. Need a new commuting bike but am a bit skint so got me thinking. What do i need and how much to turn this into reasonable commuting bike. Wish list includes

• flat bars
  • 'trigger' gear change
  • mudguards
  • rear pannier
  • New bakes?? (Has road type brakes on)
I like the idea of an 'nexus type' gear but am assuming too expensive?
Realistic? Expensive>

thanks andy

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Jeez.

Is there actually anything wrong with it? or is it a case of a bit of air in the tyres and off you go?

RedBike

What do i need and how much to turn this into reasonable commuting bike.
Just the rack and panniers. Although I would switch the back wheel for a track wheel and make it a fixed wheel bike.

There's quite a few complications with the gearing. Although switching to a flat bar and using v-brake levers shouldn't be a problem. (Although the v-brake levers will have the wrong pull so your brakes will be even worse!)

OP
OP
andyfromotley

andyfromotley

Nope nothing wrong with it its a bueaty, just feel it needs altering a little to make it practicle for my fairly long mixed commute.

Its twelve speed, wheels could probably do with a bit of a true, other than that its fine.

Fixed no good for me, too far and varied.
andy

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Tyres, tubes, mudguards and you are off....... get rid of the shite spoke guard on the rear wheel though !!!

Looks like a Reynolds tube set from the badge near the shifters.... other than that looks OK..

I hope not steel rims - if they are then get new wheels as you can't stop steel rims in the wet !

That looks like a Selle Itallia saddle - well comfy but the white finish doesn't last....

Turn the bars over, re-install the brake levers and slice the bars off just above the top of the lever body. Insert the bar end plug and re-wrap. New cables, new (synthetic) blocks. Neither the rear mech nor freewheel will index so don't bother trying, just leave the shifters there until you can locate a pair of old skool friction thumbies on steel band clamps which you can mount under the brake levers (with longer bolts as drop bars are a bit thicker). New tyres, tubes and rim tape. Leave the mudgourds till later in the year.

Reckon.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Get a decent set of tyres and some mudguards and the jobs a good un.

Down tube shifters are not a problem and I ride my 12 speed 1970 / 1980 dawes with sachs huret gears and weinman brakes for 5000 - 6000 miles plus a year.

You have a perfect cheap affordable bike and if nothing is broke and you are skint why chuck money at it ?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
fossyant said:
I hope not steel rims - if they are then get new wheels as you can't stop steel rims in the wet !

Well, you can, but it takes lots of swearing and occasionally the use of your feet too... :biggrin:

I'd echo the other comments - looks plenty good as is, to me...

gbb

Legendary Member
mickle said:
Turn the bars over, re-install the brake levers and slice the bars off just above the top of the lever body. Insert the bar end plug and re-wrap. New cables, new (synthetic) blocks. Neither the rear mech nor freewheel will index so don't bother trying, just leave the shifters there until you can locate a pair of old skool friction thumbies on steel band clamps which you can mount under the brake levers (with longer bolts as drop bars are a bit thicker). New tyres, tubes and rim tape. Leave the mudgourds till later in the year.

Reckon.

Wot Mickle said...
My Raleigh Clubman came like that, it looks kinda cool, like bullhorns. I saw a guy in central London with his commuter set up the same. I was seriously tempted to keep it the same when i rebuilt it...

You end up with it looking like this...
http://velospace.org/files/nat2.jpg

Top Bottom