How can wearing a helmet offer no protection from injury?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Adrian, now you are starting to get it, even a bobble hat can offer some protection although maybe only very slight.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
So we would expect bald people to be over-represented in hospital admissions, as hair has to offer some protection.

Alun

Guru
I would like to see helmets designed and built with a suitable flattish surface forward and rearward facing to more easily facilitate attaching a set of lights up there visible through and over the cars around me in the way bar mounted ones aren't, without having to look like you've got an extra nipple right on top. High level lighting for me is the most effective safety feature of all the helmets I've ever owned and worn and crashed with and without. not sure I'd go fo the above pic'd cardboard one on this alone, I can't see where I'd get my little Lezynes on that.

* Flattish so that the more relaxed and racy types can both get a good beam angle out of it - or drop and flat bar versions with differently raked lighting points
I'm not sure it's a good idea to attach lights and cameras to helmets, as in the event of a crash they could create localized pressure on the helmet which could exceed it's ability to protect the wearers head.

Alun

Guru
2207997 said:
True but it could be that regarding the helmet as nothing more than a mounting point for lights makes it more useful as a proactive safety device than an unadorned one is as a reactive safety device.
Provided that the lights and cameras do not interfere with the correct storage of sunglasses when not in use.

Licramite

Über Member
It depends if you believe all those counter arguments to helmets
If you do a paper party hat will be just as good.
the question is - when your bonce is at stake , - do you really believe all those fine statistics and studies. -
If you do well thats fine then.

- to who this may concern, I intended it as a reply adrian, but I'm out of date and have completely lost track of who is anti who is pro and who is just , questioning helmets.

sorry it must be all those bangs on the head are getting to me.

Licramite

Über Member
Err - thats what I'm saying - if you really believe that , then you might as well wear a paper party hat -(or a newt) , because your never going to need it.
and as I said earlier - if you really believe that what difference does it make if the helmet is slightly damaged , its never going to be used.

of course if its never going to happen, how did it get damaged in the first place?

lukesdad

Erm ever decreasing circles Adrian ?

Drago

Legendary Member
2208387 said:
Well, one of the odd things the stats show is that a person wearing a helmet is slightly more likely to have some form of accident than a person not wearing one. If that is true, which it might be, it seems that if you are going to wear one it would be good to make sure it is in good nick.
Could that be because the sort of folk that spend money on lids are more likely to be serious cyclists and MTB'ers. The former is liable to do more mileage, and the latter is a high risk group.

You need understand the why as well as the how.

Drago

Legendary Member
I think it's on a CD ROM in a big pile of unused training cack at work. Ill have a rummage through my box O' poop when I'm next in. I'm quite intrigued myself now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom