How can wearing a helmet offer no protection from injury?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

Cleaning some files when I came across a report from the Scottish Executive.. (Extent and Severity of Cycle
Accident Casualties)

Also an interesting comparison between helmet and non helmet use when it comes to those needing follow up or admission!

So for whatever reason (risk compensation, stye of riding etc) it appears that wearing a helmet increases some injuries, yet has little effect on the head injury outcomes for those requiring admission!
Conducted at a hospital near a scottish trail centre was it ?:cuppa:

Licramite

Über Member
Yes pitty it didn't record what they were doing as it does sound very 'Activity' biased.
Helmet wearers doing bmx-ing and stunting are liable to be the upper and lower body breaks.
as are Mtb.

Didn't the australian study come up with the same thing, Helmet wearers head injuries were reduced but arm injuries increased.

my conclusion was if you didn't get knocked out you broke hands/arms punching the guy who knocked you off.

Conducted at a hospital near a scottish trail centre was it ?:cuppa:

Nope - 5 hospitals and STATS19.....

Royal Hospital for Sick Children
Edinburgh Royal Infirmary
Western General
St John’s Hospital
Borders General Hospital

However If I may point out the qualifier in my post.....
So for whatever reason (risk compensation, stye of riding etc)

As for the breakdowns, :

Their were 806 participants and of these only 20 (2%) were on a forest or mountain bike trail. Even allowing for misreporting of a trail as a "cycle path", the numbers are not that high.

Licramite

Über Member
I was thinking maybe helmet weares don't try and protect thier heads in a fall but try and stop the fall, but it would be the same for non helmet wearers unless they have been taught how to fall.

something that is'nt taught in cycling training as far as I know (He who never had any and learned on a bike so big I had to climb on a wall to get on and crash into hedge to get off ) is how to fall correctly.

not that it did me any good last time I fell off a step ladder, perfect fall position , hit the bloody ladder and dented several ribs. - you can't em all.

lukesdad

Nope - 5 hospitals and STATS19.....

Royal Hospital for Sick Children
Edinburgh Royal Infirmary
Western General
St John’s Hospital
Borders General Hospital

However If I may point out the qualifier in my post.....

As for the breakdowns, :

Their were 806 participants and of these only 20 (2%) were on a forest or mountain bike trail. Even allowing for misreporting of a trail as a "cycle path", the numbers are not that high.
Blimey thats a first, a study that actualy asked particpants what type of riding they were engaged in at the time.

lukesdad

Seems to confirm that mtbing is relatively safe compared to other forms of cycling :smile:. All we've go to do now is work out why. Lower speeds, softer landings, lack of traffic higher skill levels nah forget that one only joshing. So I'll ask an earlier question again do we think wearing a helmet while mtbing would be of benefit ?

I won't hold my breath waiting for an answer.

Licramite

Über Member
2211168 said:
I would say that MTB riding I have hit branches with my helmet on many more occasions than I have hit the deck. Obviously the helmet made my head bigger and that clearly means I might or might not have hit my head had it not been helmeted.

Thats my experience, I often have to head butt my way through overhanging branches - often concelling some bone jaring bigger branches. - its why I wear a different helmet, a road helmet fills up with all the crap of nature and with all its air vents doesn't stop spikey bits getting into your helmet.
I have had far more collisions with my head whilst sitting on the bike than falling off it.

I always wonder at these off road cycling mags showing them in shorts - if they cycle in anything like the overgrown trails I cycle in their legs would get shredded. - that warm glow off multiple stings and cuts - I now it well.

I actually think Mtb is safer, - yes you come off more but the speed and result is fairly minor. Its cars/ traffic/other drivers that add that lethal element. - thats why I prefer mtb , you can relax off road and concentrate on cycling, you don't constantly have to be traffic aware.

lukesdad

2211168 said:
I would say that MTB riding I have hit branches with my helmet on many more occasions than I have hit the deck. Obviously the helmet made my head bigger and that clearly means I might or might not have hit my head had it not been helmeted.
Thats got more to do with our eyes than a helmet, or in your case age :tongue: . A relevent point none the less, my head would have clouted most of the branches Ive hit with or without a helmet. So you are saying no benefit are you ?

Personal risk analysis?

The "Scottish Trail Centre" also advocates body armour..... but it would look a bit silly on the cycle paths of Gosport and Portsmouth....

It's a bit like motorways.... the number of accidents per mile is decreased because of the removal of the vulnerable groups.

Is MTBing safer because of the removal of many of the other conflicts.... for instance, hw many times do you have a cycle coming up the trail the other way?

22% of accidents involved a car... how many MTB courses have car access to the routes

34% of accidents happened on roads - again excluded from MTBing

MTBing is possibly safer, but has the data been coorected for the smaller time / distance exposure compared to general cycling?

Thats got more to do with our eyes than a helmet, or in your case age :tongue: . A relevent point none the less, my head would have clouted most of the branches Ive hit with or without a helmet. So you are saying no benefit are you ?

Once again though the hierarchy is a little bit askew
If we went into an industry building where people were hitting their head on things .......then the questions would be asked as to why, do you need to carry out the task where you are hitting your head, can you remove or reduce the risk and finally if all that is done and there is still a risk then consider hard hats

So is there any reason why a saw could not remove the issue of branches?

Licramite

Über Member
So is there any reason why a saw could not remove the issue of branches?[/quote]

I suppose I could mount a chain saw vertically on my handle bar , leave a trail of destrction beind me.

one bit I go through is fir trees very close together, you can see the trail but the branches are down to about 3 ft off the ground and overlap across the trail , its like going through those vertical wahers in a car wash. - and about as wet as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom