How can you tart up Haggis?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redcogs

Guru
We occasionally have a vegetarian haggis (Watsons i think).

Its well yummy too - not so different from authentic types. i too am with the 'do not adulterate good scotch with haggi' school of thought - demarcation betwixt the two is essential.

Down with the loutish haggis revisionists!

longers

Legendary Member
A nice red wine and jam gravy works well with haggis in my house.

longers

Legendary Member
Tetedelacourse said:
How do you make that then?

I may be assuming wrongly that this is a serious question ;).

Anyway, take gravy and add red wine and two teaspoons of jam*. I usually put some dried herbs in there too.

*Not apricot or strawberry but blackcurrant or plum or something like that.

OP
OP
Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse

ha ha yes it WAS a serious question! I didn't think putting jam into already made gravy would be the answer! Ending myself now.

Like Redjobs I thought there'd be a lengthy gravy making process followed by a reducing down process to make it into a kind of jam!

Cheers though!

gavintc

Guru
I like my haggis pretty straight. Occasionally, we have it stuffed into a chicken breast. And I have had it at Christmas as a stuffing in the turkey cavity. But sadly, my most common method of eating haggis is battered with chips and brown sauce as a haggis supper from the chippie around the corner.

longers

Legendary Member
You are free to make the gravy in whatever manner you choose.

I forgot to mention about putting balsamic vinegar and worcester sauce and a bit of lemon juice in it. These three are my holy trinity of cooking.

k-dog

You're obviously buying it in a plastic bag form the supermarket if you feel it needs tarting up.

Freshly caught is the only way to go - it won't require any shenanigans to be tasty.

I could recommend a good merchant if you need one.

OP
OP
Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse

The haggis is already caught. Went for free-range and heather-fed, as I don't agree with the principles behind intensive battery haggis farming, and I think you get a better taste from free range.

I don't usually have much with my haggis as I like the taste. But am now worried that having chosen to serve that this weekend it needs to look a bit more fancy and taste a bit more delectable.

OK I'll extend the question to gravy. How do you make a good gravy?

Arch

Married to Night Train
k-dog said:
You're obviously buying it in a plastic bag form the supermarket if you feel it needs tarting up.

Freshly caught is the only way to go - it won't require any shenanigans to be tasty.

I could recommend a good merchant if you need one.

Just beware you get a good haggis dealer. The poor quality ones cut off the legs from the wrong side, leaving you with less meat (you know, don't you, that haggis have longer legs on one side, to allow them to run round hills. The way to trap them is to surprise then into turning and running the other way, and they fall over and roll down the hillside into your net. You want the longer legs left on, of course, there's more meat on them)

Top Bottom