How could you possibly not see me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Just been out for a nice evening ride with my new Cree T6 front light on. It was very windy so I put all my winter stuff on including a hi-viz jacket.

I was approaching a part of my journey where I would join the promenade (shared use). Just before it was an ASDA store on my left.
I was approaching the entry road into ASDA when I noticed a car coming towards the road I was on out of the car park. The car stopped and then started creeping forwards just as I got to it. It suddenly crept a bit faster and I jammed on my brakes and the car stopped.
I had my Cree on full power and pointing right into his face now that we are both stopped.

Just as he pulled away, I said to him "How could you not see me you dumb sh*t?" (Not the best choice of words).

I just couldnt understand how it was possible for him to SMIDSY me with my front light on full!

It ones of those things which you learn to expect, you can be dressed up like a Christmas Tree and still folk fail to see :wacko:

AndyPeace

3 suggestions for reducing the number of SMIDGY incidents (disclaimer: please check your local laws before implementing these stratagies)

1. Ride naked...
2. in addition to your lights attach a garden fork to the front and rear of your bike
3. Carry a shotgun and randomly set off shots in the direction you are traveling

Ride

I had this happen to me a couple of mornings ago. What I think it comes down to is that these drivers see you but do not register the speed you are travelling. They must be thinking that all bikes amble along at 10kmh. When they see you I think they think, "Bike, plenty of time to come out", without assessing the speed you are travelling. They ignore and look the other way and pull out because to them there is no way a bike can move faster than 10kmh; it is human powered after all. So when the numpties pull out and glance in your direction in the process they are dumbfounded that you have covered that distance and are about to put your light in their teeth due to their ignorance and stupidity.

Ride

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
There is also the theory that they aren't looking for you, they are looking for cars, lorries etc so they don't see you as you aren't a car. Always try to make eye contact (much harder in the dark).

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
He must have looked. I mean, it isnt rocket science is it?
And even if he had a glance, he would have noticed a full 1800 lumens pointing right at him (wasnt in his face when he was at the junction).

It is rocket science,to some.You can't really assume he did see you though,because they don't not all the time.

So now we have found out that,Hi-Viz is no good.Lights are no good.Looks like the ninjas are onto something here.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
He must have looked. I mean, it isnt rocket science is it?
And even if he had a glance, he would have noticed a full 1800 lumens pointing right at him (wasnt in his face when he was at the junction).

They look but don't see and/or think bicycle = slow, I shall pull out.

Also a T6 is nowhere near 1800 lumens. If it's a cheap one you are looking about 700-800 real. And it's not wise to run at max on a lit road unless pointing down.

Top Bottom