How dare I think this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What a pleasure it's been to again be able to see the TdF on freeview TV while spending the summer in the UK.

Some might argue that there can't be enough cycling on the Telly.

Up to a point, but I do not agree entirely...

It'll be fabblioso if we get a Gold at BMX. A Gold is a Gold and that's fine...

But BMX as an Olympic sport? I'm all for moving with the times, but to me this is not an Olympic sport. No more is MTB racing...

I also think there is rather too much track cycling in the modern Olympic schedule. I'm not against track cycling - and as a nation we are jolly good at it. But I wonder whether we really need all these events.

It's not just cycling. The re-emergence of Tennis as an Olympic sport seems silly.

Football, despite having a long Olympic provenance, does not any longer seem the right event for the Olympiad. There is a World Cup now.... and the Olympic teams of most nations are not the best they have. I was grateful for the bickering between the various UK FAs that militated against a UK football team for so long.

But this is a cycling forum, so I'll stick to cycling: The road race has been in the Olympics since the year Dot and is a wonderful thing. But I do think there is a case for limiting track cycling events....

I am probably wrong on this and am happy to be told why.

raindog

er.....
Oddly enough I think that the track events fit into the olympics much better than the RR and TT.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
They should do away with the rather boring team sprint and re-introduce the tandem sprint. If there's one track event to have everyone on the edge of their seats (and many of the riders on their seats) that is it.

The swimming gets me! :cursing:

How many events are there in total!?

There are five (unless I'm mistaken) styles, plus numerous distances for the individual, and then there's the relay events. And then times two for the men's and women's events.

And on top of that, there's synchronised swimming, diving and water polo.

Have I missed anything?

rich p

ridiculous old lush

There are five (unless I'm mistaken) styles, plus numerous distances for the individual, and then there's the relay events. And then times two for the men's and women's events.

Have I missed anything?
Open water swimming!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Swimming is a bore-fest to me too. You can rarely tell who's who, which lane is winning but I guess the enthusiasts find cycling boring.

screenman

Legendary Member
I suppose some of you would be happy if it was still shown in black and white, and that they still had a sack race or whatever. Come on things change let us embrace the changes, as for MTB not a Olympic sport where does the thinking come on that one, as it seems to fit in nicely to me.

Personally I would like to see more sports added, more track cycling added, more than one competitor per country in the track as well.

GrasB

Veteran
But this is a cycling forum, so I'll stick to cycling: The road race has been in the Olympics since the year Dot and is a wonderful thing. But I do think there is a case for limiting track cycling events....
Refresh my memory, what other event use the velodrome... none?.. so then why limit the number of events it's not like it's pushing other sports out of their arena.

Noodley

and the throwing and jumping events...what a waste of time. Throwing a ball, a ball on a chain, a spear and a heavy plate...jumping up, jumping up with a clothes pole, jumping long, jumping long after a wee dance...sheesh :laugh:

MichaelM

Guru

Have I missed anything?

Medley - men's and women's, long and short, individual and relay.

Top Bottom