How did I crack my carbon frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Q

QED

I'm no fan of Planet Ex, or of cheap Taiwanese carbon, but I'm with the supplier on this. The damage is entirely consistent with having been clamped in a workstand. £150 is a great deal and much more reasonable than they need to be. Accept their kind offer and move on.
I have done.
either way, I think PX have given the op a great value frame option. They couldve just let him cover the frame cost and the rebuild.

Hope the experience has taught the op a lesson.

What lesson do *you* think I should have learned?

I have learned that either "reputable" local bike shop and/or Eurostar destroyed my frame.

I have learned that a bike bag is not good enough, I need a bike box which apparently costs about the same as the list price of the carbon frame.

I have learned that Planet X takes over 30 days to deal with a warranty claim and blames the customer for the damage.

I have learned that if a carbon bike is put in a bike stand it should be clamped to a metal seat post.

I have learned never to leave my bike out of my sight which makes travel and maintenance/repairs difficult.

Did I miss anything?

OP
OP
Q

QED

The relative value of the bikes they sell is no guarantee that the mechanics are infallible.

No but in business for 28 years and a Giant franchise should mean they don't crush carbon frames in the clamps.

djb1971

Legendary Member
I have done.

What lesson do *you* think I should have learned?

I have learned that either "reputable" local bike shop and/or Eurostar destroyed my frame.

I have learned that a bike bag is not good enough, I need a bike box which apparently costs about the same as the list price of the carbon frame.

I have learned that Planet X takes over 30 days to deal with a warranty claim and blames the customer for the damage.

I have learned that if a carbon bike is put in a bike stand it should be clamped to a metal seat post.

I have learned never to leave my bike out of my sight which makes travel and maintenance/repairs difficult.

Did I miss anything?

Take your pick. At the end of the day a bollock was dropped, it cost you money. It could've cost more.

your bike will be fixed for a reasonable cost.

life's too short. move on.

Venod

Eh up
Did I miss anything?[/QUOTE]

Yes, Carbon while a good material for bike frames needs handling with care, the same damage would not have occurred to a steel/aluminium frame.

Citius

Yes, Carbon while a good material for bike frames needs handling with care, the same damage would not have occurred to a steel/aluminium frame.

As I said before - any tube, of any material will crush with enough force. The same damage could quite easily have occurred to any other type of frame.

OP
OP
Q

QED

Take your pick. At the end of the day a bollock was dropped, it cost you money. It could've cost more.

your bike will be fixed for a reasonable cost.

life's too short. move on.

As posted earlier, I did take their offer. But let me just say how I admire your equanimity and sang froid, if not your empathy, in the face of someone else's bike frame being destroyed.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!

Given the source of the damage is unknown, that cannot possibly be stated with any authority.

AlanTh

I'm surprised that the OP didn't spot the damage after collecting the bike from the LBS, or after travelling with the bike on Eurostar.

OP
OP
Q

QED

I'm surprised that the OP didn't spot the damage after collecting the bike from the LBS, or after travelling with the bike on Eurostar.

Me too. It was spotted by a mate at a cafe stop after a ride. In future, I will be sure to inspect it more closely whenever it has to leave my hands.

Top Bottom