How difficult is it to replace a star nut assembly?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Having done a bit of research, this ought to be do-able at home, with care. Parts are cheap, and it gives me the opportunity to regrease the headset bearings too.
I'd value your input, folks.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Why do you need to replace it? As far as I'm aware, once placed star nuts don't come back out. The only option is to knock it further down the steerer tube and put a new one above it. I've placed a new one though in a brand new set of forks and it was a really simple job. I used a Pedro's star nut placement tool and it worked a charm. A tad frustrating though because I can't see me ever needing to use it again!

robgul

Legendary Member
Make sure you get decent tool - the cheap ones tend not to get the star-nut in completely square. The alternative is to bash the existing star nut further down the steerer tube and fit an "expanding bung" as the preload retainer - cheap as chips and simple to fit.

Rob

Make sure you get decent tool - the cheap ones tend not to get the star-nut in completely square. The alternative is to bash the existing star nut further down the steerer tube and fit an "expanding bung" as the preload retainer - cheap as chips and simple to fit.

Rob
There's already the remains of one down there...
Bits already ordered, so will see if I get it right. If not, I'll get a bung!

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
They are fairly easily removed. Drill out the top soft alloy rivet and you can then tap the stars onto their sides one by one and yank them out with needle nose pliers. No damage, 10 min job.

I fitted two star nuts when A-Headsets first appeared and both involved an enormous quantity of blood loss. Evil things.
Gonna take it real easy. If it bites even a little, I'll walk away and get a bung...

robgul

Legendary Member
This is the one I bought a couple years ago. Dead simple. And it does require being tw*tted with a hammer in order to work.
That's the same principle as the Park Tool inserter - the key issue is the "outer sleeve" that keeps the star nut square - cheapie inserters often just have the punch and no sleeve and thus getting out of alignment is easy to do.

Rob

Levo-Lon

Guru
Simple job, knock the old one out the bottom with a drift or long flat screwdriver.

Ideally use a longer bolt screwed into the new star and tap it to desired position.
Square it up as you go.
Replace fitting bolt with the correct bolt.

Quite easy if your accurate with a small hammer.
If you are a thumb whacker get the tool:smile:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Knocking them out through the bottom doesn't work well with a butted steerer (as most are). Also, many handbuilt forks have joints that are pinned before brazing, so there is a pin or two blocking the way. They're easy enough to remove properly.

Top Bottom