How do animals have thoughts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaijintendo

Veteran
[QUOTE 4929128, member: 45"]So is love. ;)[/QUOTE]
How do you say "please" in love?
Because if love is gesture based... you might be confusing it with mime.

It's easy to confuse love and mime... I fell in mime once... but I don't like to talk about it.

Last edited:

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
When Sadi Carnot was thinking about maximum efficiency of heat engines, or when Einstein was thinking his thought experiments, I doubt they were using language. I've heard Maths called a language, but I don't think it is.

97bb34449283d17650cb3e98ac8ec723--psychotic-mustache-cat.jpg

When we think of language, we think of vocalisation, but certainly cats use body language to communicate with each other along with a comparatively limited range of sounds. As any cat slave will tell you, you learn to read it. I understand what my cats want, and they can pick up on what I want too, sometimes even before I know it. What is quite interesting though, is that while cat-to-cat communication is consistent, cat-to-human and human-to-cat varies with each and every household.

For instance, my two girls know that "shoo" means "you are in my way and I'll step on you if you persist in sitting there". When they hear "shoo", they'll up sticks. However, when I'm at a friend's place, her cats haven't the foggiest what "shoo" means. Instead, their equivalent to "you are in my way etc" is "move".

Besides, Lexi is convinced that I'm a godawful cat, given the number of gifts she brings me...

11221393_n.jpg

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Is Accy back from the pub yet?

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
What is a language? A method of communication and expressing ideas.

What is maths?

I think it's more a tool. If you are doing long division, you using it to get a result. You're not really thinking in words when doing maths, and if you are trying to prompt yourself with words, like 'change the side, change the sign', then you're saying them in English. You can say maths is a method of communication and expressing ideas, but so is a technical drawing and that's not language.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I think it's more a tool. If you are doing long division, you using it to get a result. You're not really thinking in words when doing maths, and if you are trying to prompt yourself with words, like 'change the side, change the sign', then you're saying them in English. You can say maths is a method of communication and expressing ideas, but so is a technical drawing and that's not language.

You might have stumbled on a semiotics discussion there, accidentally.

Top Bottom