How do I get in touch with an admin to add a new forum title

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
GmanUK65

GmanUK65

Über Member
Where would the 3 Peaks Cyclo-Cross race fit in then at 38 miles.
Only the one lap, of a large circuit.
http://3peakscyclocross.org.uk

Ok I'm wrong about the length of some of the cyclo-cross circuits and probably wrong about most of the other things by what I've read above so I'm reeeally sorry if I offended some people. I wasn't trying to be clever. Obviously I know less than I think.

So I Googled it. Bikeradar states:
"Most gravel bikes feature a more relaxed geometry than CX bikes, designed for days of riding rather than an hour or so and for tackling rougher trails. they seem to give a shorter reach and a more upright body position

OP
OP
GmanUK65

GmanUK65

Über Member
That's news to me. What happened before roads were tarmac'ed?

Does Rough Stuff Fellowship mean anything?

I kind of agree as I used to ride on tracks and trails about 30 to 35 years ago on a rigid mountain bike (Marin Muirwoods) but i don't think it was called gravel grinding then and gravel bikes were unheard of

Why not just post what you want to.post in what seems like the most appropriate forum so perhaps "General Discussion" or "Components...." or "Mechanics....."?

The worst that can happen is that it's moved to a more appropriate section.

I know there are different fora for the likes of recumbent and trike but a bit of thought and an accurate title should prompt a decent discussion, no?

OP
OP
GmanUK65

GmanUK65

Über Member
Why not just post what you want to.post in what seems like the most appropriate forum so perhaps "General Discussion" or "Components...." or "Mechanics....."?

The worst that can happen is that it's moved to a more appropriate section.

I know there are different fora for the likes of recumbent and trike but a bit of thought and an accurate title should prompt a decent discussion, no?

Yep that probably is the best thing I should do. I wish I hadn't bothered with this thread with all the negative feedback I've gotten. Not everyone though but they all know who they are. Thanks a bunch those negative guys

classic33

Leg End Member
Ok I'm wrong about the length of some of the cyclo-cross circuits and probably wrong about most of the other things by what I've read above so I'm reeeally sorry if I offended some people. I wasn't trying to be clever. Obviously I know less than I think.

So I Googled it. Bikeradar states:
"Most gravel bikes feature a more relaxed geometry than CX bikes, designed for days of riding rather than an hour or so and for tackling rougher trails. they seem to give a shorter reach and a more upright body position
You weren't the only one saying it was a shorter closed circuit/track. Which is why I quoted no-one.

I asked the question to all who posted similar answers.

classic33

Leg End Member
Yep that probably is the best thing I should do. I wish I hadn't bothered with this thread with all the negative feedback I've gotten. Not everyone though but they all know who they are. Thanks a bunch those negative guys
Why not add to the MTB, Trials and BMX section?

Sorry but I don't see any negativity. I see a couple of jokes, a meander into definitions and a couple of comments from people who probably are a bit bemused by the current trend to categorise bikes and cyclists.

I think most of us here like talking about bikes and riding them. If you go looking for negativity you'll find it faster than a Gravel Grinding forum^_^

OP
OP
GmanUK65

GmanUK65

Über Member
You weren't the only one saying it was a shorter closed circuit/track. Which is why I quoted no-one.

I asked the question to all who posted similar answers.

I'm sorry for quoting you then as I didn't realise other people had said similar answers. I've just googled about the longest cyclo cross route and I am now shocked on what I said earlier. In California there is a 800 mile CX event. So I would eat my hat if I had one for what I said earlier lol.

Venod

Eh up
In California there is a 800 mile CX event. So I would eat my hat if I had one for what I said earlier lol.

This event is a good example of why labeling and categorising riders is nonsense, I don't know but I suspect most riders won't be using a CX bike designed for a hour long blast round a muddy field.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I googled "gravel grinders"...comes up with this sort of equipment....
1660721677967.png

alex_cycles

Veteran
This event is a good example of why labeling and categorising riders is nonsense, I don't know but I suspect most riders won't be using a CX bike designed for a hour long blast round a muddy field.

I put a new tyre on my gravel bike this week. When I put the sealant in, I rode it straight away, which is meant to help. I did 15 miles on the tarmac. :laugh: That would set off the OCD categorisers.

I've got nothing against categories if they're skilfully defined. It's obvious that CX and gravel have significant overlap with each other and with MTB. I'm doing CX on a gravel bike - don't see the need to buy a CX bike. Some people use MTB. Now if I was actually any good at it and getting podium positions, people might start taking a closer look at my 37mm tyres, but nobody cares if you're not contesting the lead (and rightly so IMHO as it makes it more inclusive and lowers the barrier to entry). ^_^

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Can I ask please? This gravel "grinding" is a form of gravel race? I ride a lot of gravel but the only time I "grind" is on the occasional very steep climb, be it road or gravel.

Top Bottom