How do I improve my average speed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It seems like my average speed is at 20-22km/h but I can cycle far distance but can't seem to have a good average speed. I would like to be able to have at least 26km/h average speed, if not 28km/h if I'm pushing my luck here. I try to keep a steady speed, I don't have a power meter. I have a bike computer. I don't know if it's the city traffic that slows me down when I need to get out of the city first to less busy roads or what it is. Would getting clipless pedals to make a difference? I'm female,young and in not bad shape- so I'm not sure how to get better. What kind of training regime could I follow to improve my average speed?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Start - stop riding, junctions and traffic will definitely have an effect on averages

You need open country roads to consider that your average speed is a worth while metric, too many variables otherwise. The time of day is also worth thinking about, as is which days you ride. It can be weeks with 2-3 rides a week before i may need to stop at a junction, nearly all my rides are without stops so for me i do focus on average speed as i do think it is a good thing to keep an eye on.

Beyond that and it's my biggest variable here is elevation, impossible for me to ride 50km without having to climb less than 500-750m and that means actively searching out a "flat ride":laugh:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Regular training rides and routes out of the city would help; city miles slow you down. A power meter definitely isn't needed although you are likely to find clipless pedals (either 2-bolt MTB/hybrid or 3-bolt road) will help both average speed and efficiency once you're used to them.

If the university cycling club isn't meeting, how about this one: https://www.facebook.com/groups/NottinghamGirlsCycle ?

In terms of training lots of people will suggest a particular plan or getting a coach. At this stage I'd suggest you don't need to. Have a look here first as a start: https://www.cyclingweekly.com/fitness/training although there's lots of alternatives.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Riding in city centres & traffic is a killer for your average speed, on my commute into Hull on a good day my average can be over 20mph for the first 12 miles, but as I head towards the centre my average speed can drop by 2-3 mph with all the stop/start at lights, roundabouts etc As mentioned above, too many variables cycling in busy areas to use your average speed as a measure of your performance level, my fastest times cycling to work are probably very early morning &/or Sundays.
The thing that improved my speed the most was cycling with a club/in a group. The draft effect makes a massive difference, but when I got used to doing it often & riding at around 20mph regularly in a group, I could then manage similar speeds solo. There's probably specific training plans you could follow to improve your speed & if that's your aim go for it, but my aim nowadays is just to enjoy the ride, I don't have my average speed on display on my display, it is what it is :okay: Today's ride with Mrs SD was a steady 14.7mph, but a very pleasant & enjoyable ride. Occasionally I'll have a little bit of a blast & push the 20mph average, but the legs feel it for a day or 2 after & I ride every day, so it can spoil my enjoyment sometimes:blush:

OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

Regular training rides and routes out of the city would help; city miles slow you down. A power meter definitely isn't needed although you are likely to find clipless pedals (either 2-bolt MTB/hybrid or 3-bolt road) will help both average speed and efficiency once you're used to them.

If the university cycling club isn't meeting, how about this one: https://www.facebook.com/groups/NottinghamGirlsCycle ?

In terms of training lots of people will suggest a particular plan or getting a coach. At this stage I'd suggest you don't need to. Have a look here first as a start: https://www.cyclingweekly.com/fitness/training although there's lots of alternatives.
The uni meets twice a week and splits into groups based on speed. I cycled today with some person from uni but it was not a group ride organised by the soc. I would need the 3-bolt road clipless pedals, but no idea which ones to get and about the shoes- I am also scared of having an accident with clipless pedals. How much can clipless pedals improve performance and why do they help? I clicked to join the group- thanks for the link :wub:.I'll look through the cycling weekly plan. When is it time to get a plan or coach? I'm a bit lost on improving as a cyclist and what my next goal should be- after 2 months of cycling I did a 100 mile ride, what's next as my goal? There's no event I'm training for or goal anymore.

DCLane

The uni meets twice a week and splits into groups based on speed. I cycled today with some person from uni but it was not a group ride organised by the soc. I would need the 3-bolt road clipless pedals, but no idea which ones to get and about the shoes- I am also scared of having an accident with clipless pedals. How much can clipless pedals improve performance and why do they help? I clicked to join the group- thanks for the link :wub:.I'll look through the cycling weekly plan. When is it time to get a plan or coach? I'm a bit lost on improving as a cyclist and what my next goal should be- after 2 months of cycling I did a 100 mile ride, what's next as my goal? There's no event I'm training for or goal anymore.

Re. clipless pedals; I'd suggest a starter set of Shimano RS500's - they're cheaper than the expensive ones but are a good start. I'd suggest slackening off the tightness and spraying the springs with WD-40 to start with which loosens them. There's lots of threads on here about starting clipless; my suggestion is to remind yourself "unclip, unclip, unclip" out loud for the first couple of weeks.

Shoes-wise it's about what fits you. You'll need a bike shop to test a few pairs as fit is different due to foot shape and width. Don't spend a huge sum on shoes.

A plan or coach isn't needed yet. Get used to riding miles, keep a record and set out a series of goals. Having done 100 miles could you try a 200km audax at some point? The calendar isn't out yet but there will be several from Nottinghamshire. Having a group to ride with, even in current constraints, will help.

Just remember that getting better takes time. My son's gone from riding around to racing for a junior team but it's taken time, training and effort. Even if you just want to get faster it'll take a few months.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

Re. clipless pedals; I'd suggest a starter set of Shimano RS500's - they're cheaper than the expensive ones but are a good start. I'd suggest slackening off the tightness and spraying the springs with WD-40 to start with which loosens them. There's lots of threads on here about starting clipless; my suggestion is to remind yourself "unclip, unclip, unclip" out loud for the first couple of weeks.

Shoes-wise it's about what fits you. You'll need a bike shop to test a few pairs as fit is different due to foot shape and width. Don't spend a huge sum on shoes.

A plan or coach isn't needed yet. Get used to riding miles, keep a record and set out a series of goals. Having done 100 miles could you try a 200km audax at some point? The calendar isn't out yet but there will be several from Nottinghamshire. Having a group to ride with, even in current constraints, will help.

Just remember that getting better takes time. My son's gone from riding around to racing for a junior team but it's taken time, training and effort. Even if you just want to get faster it'll take a few months.
What difference is there between the cheaper and more expensive clipless pedals? Is Evans the place to try on shoes for cycling or where in Nottingham do I go? Any idea when the calender will be out, I'm not cycling to anywhere as far as Fulbeck for the start point :laugh: Can't seem to find anyone that is into audaxes in Nottingham sadly :sad: So what should I do for now except just riding my bike sort of aimlessly-today I did 65km- it wasn't tiring or hard, I could have gone on for much longer.

DCLane

More expensive pedals transfer power a bit better and weigh less, but I'd not suggest spending a huge amount starting out. Some prefer SPD-type 2 bolt pedals: I use both but have 3-bolt for road and track.

In terms of bike shops in Nottingham Evans have a range. You would benefit from a relationship with a local bike shop: if they've not been helpful find another. Have a search on Google - my son's track bike is from Langdale Lightweights in Mapperley, there's the Specialized store plus others. It'll depend on who's local. A bike shop will be more expensive but will fit the pedals for you.

For Nottingham audaxes try Notts CTC, which seem to run them from Trowell: http://www.nottsctc.org.uk/index.htm And there'll be loads who do audax type events, although there will probably be only a handful in each club. In mine (Ravensthorpe CC) I've been the only one riding audaxes for about 4 years and, until this year, the only one racing apart from a few time trial riders and we've 170 members including 60 lady members. Club rides, supplemented by solo rides, built up the distance to do audax events.

And if you're looking for some inspiration try Katie Kookaburra's videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/KatieKookaburra/videos (I ended up in one last summer but don't let that put you off!)

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

More expensive pedals transfer power a bit better and weigh less, but I'd not suggest spending a huge amount starting out. Some prefer SPD-type 2 bolt pedals: I use both but have 3-bolt for road and track.

In terms of bike shops in Nottingham Evans have a range. You would benefit from a relationship with a local bike shop: if they've not been helpful find another. Have a search on Google - my son's track bike is from Langdale Lightweights in Mapperley, there's the Specialized store plus others. It'll depend on who's local. A bike shop will be more expensive but will fit the pedals for you.

For Nottingham audaxes try Notts CTC, which seem to run them from Trowell: http://www.nottsctc.org.uk/index.htm And there'll be loads who do audax type events, although there will probably be only a handful in each club. In mine (Ravensthorpe CC) I've been the only one riding audaxes for about 4 years and, until this year, the only one racing apart from a few time trial riders and we've 170 members including 60 lady members. Club rides, supplemented by solo rides, built up the distance to do audax events.

And if you're looking for some inspiration try Katie Kookaburra's videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/KatieKookaburra/videos (I ended up in one last summer but don't let that put you off!)
I'll do a bit more research about clipless pedals, they definitely feel like a step up.:shy:

I went to Evans in Nottingham and they were rude and unhelpful and the service was poor, so Im never going back there. In my hometown I always go to Evans and the staff there are amazing, but the Nottingham branch is bad. So now I don't know what bike shop to go to :sad: Langdale lightweights looks good but not the closest but a doable cycle. There is no way I would fit the pedals myself- I would definitely get a bike shop to do that!

For Notts CTC- which riding group do you think I'll be most suitable for from their list on the index page? So what should my mileage be like per ride and per week sort of? How do I structure things?

I've seen her videos, I don't know how she cycles those distances! Haha now Im curious to know which video of hers you were in!!! :biggrin:

I don't know sometimes if I would be better at races or if Im more cut out for audaxes, maybe it's my legs getting tired quickly and I'll be better at sprinting, but right now I have no way of knowing, I've never done a single race!

Mo1959

Legendary Member
There is no way I would fit the pedals myself-
Rather than thinking about increasing your speed and going further and faster I would suggest you learn at least the basic jobs of bike maintenance or you won't get far. If you can't change a tube or fit pedals what will you do if stuck with a mechanical on a long ride or audax?

I am a 61 year old, pretty ham fisted and impractical female and taught myself to at least be able to fit new tyres and tubes, fit pedals, chains and new cassettes myself. It's honestly not that difficult.

Lovacott

Über Member
Rather than thinking about increasing your speed and going further and faster I would suggest you learn at least the basic jobs of bike maintenance or you won't get far. If you can't change a tube or fit pedals what will you do if stuck with a mechanical on a long ride or audax?

I am a 61 year old, pretty ham fisted and impractical female and taught myself to at least be able to fit new tyres and tubes, fit pedals, chains and new cassettes myself. It's honestly not that difficult.
The big advantage of doing it yourself is that you get to understand your bike so much better and you learn how to spot problems before they can cause you any major trouble.

And you are right. There is nothing hard about bike maintenance as long as you have the correct tools and look online for some instruction before you attempt anything.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
The big advantage of doing it yourself is that you get to understand your bike so much better and you learn how to spot problems before they can cause you any major trouble.

And you are right. There is nothing hard about bike maintenance as long as you have the correct tools and look online for some instruction before you attempt anything.
It's also worth taking photos before you begin so you can check how it goes back together - it can be easy to forget which way the chain should be routed, etc.

DCLane

I went to Evans in Nottingham and they were rude and unhelpful and the service was poor, so Im never going back there. In my hometown I always go to Evans and the staff there are amazing, but the Nottingham branch is bad. So now I don't know what bike shop to go to :sad: Langdale lightweights looks good but not the closest but a doable cycle. There is no way I would fit the pedals myself- I would definitely get a bike shop to do that!

For Notts CTC- which riding group do you think I'll be most suitable for from their list on the index page? So what should my mileage be like per ride and per week sort of? How do I structure things?

I've seen her videos, I don't know how she cycles those distances! Haha now Im curious to know which video of hers you were in!!! :biggrin:

I don't know sometimes if I would be better at races or if Im more cut out for audaxes, maybe it's my legs getting tired quickly and I'll be better at sprinting, but right now I have no way of knowing, I've never done a single race!

Evans is now owned by Sports Direct and as a big corporate they won't be interested in helping as much. A local bike shop's the best option to start with as it forms a relationship; my closest is rude as well so I use one about 4 miles away.

My suggestion would be whichever bike shop's closest to start with. If Langdale's a bit far a post on here asking for bike shops nearest you should elicit some ideas: I've been out of Nottingham that long I wouldn't know these days apart from Langdale.

CTC is worth a try and I haven't a clue which group. Pick one and try, although you may find them a bit slow. The FB group is a ladies group - in there there'll be riders of your level. It's a 'test and try' approach.

Personally I'd suggest finding a group to ride with. If CTC isn't suitable, nor the university one, there'll be a group near you. That will help with distance, speed, pacing, training, etc. A winter's riding with others will make all the difference.

Oh, and for Katie's video it was a 600km event last year. She appeared from behind a hedge (honestly!) at about 230km and I rode with her for about 150km before calling home and continuing the event whilst she'd stopped at the HQ and got sleep. Remember her events end in failure as well as success; both her and myself had to abandon the 900km+ All Points North event last year: I got ill and she just couldn't keep going.

Lovacott

Über Member
It's also worth taking photos before you begin so you can check how it goes back together - it can be easy to forget which way the chain should be routed, etc.
The very first time I fitted a chain, I made a complete mess of it.

That was back in the days of either trying to remember what your dad had showed you or simply taking pot luck.

Now, I take my time and anything I'm unsure of, I go to YouTube and watch someone else do it first.

As soon as you've completed a job (maybe a bearing change or disc brake pad change), you will be an expert on doing that particular job on your particular bike. You will also gain confidence in your own mechanical abilities allowing you to progress to more advanced fine tuning.

On the way, you might ruin a brake caliper by forcing out the retaining disk without first loosening the locking grub screw but you will only do it once. You might put a bearing cage in the wrong way around and ten miles later find that you have a very wobbly back wheel, but again, you will only do it once.

Trial and error. The worlds greatest teacher.

Top Bottom