How do I make porridge less boring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Only have it on a Sunday morning in the winter but usually this is with a chopped up banana or (sounding like an old git here) some chopped up tinned peaches.

Rest of the week is usually muesli with a few honey nut cornflakes on to pep it up.

Muesli keeps me full till lunchtime but porridge seems to only last till mid morning and then I am starving again.

sionhughes

Try a bit of Nutella in it. Turns it all chocolatey and tastes awesome.

ayceejay

Guru
I stayed at a Buddhist monastery once (garden) and part of the time the monastics were on a diet of food that didn't need chewing, which ended up being gruel (porridge mashed and watery). Watching the nuns cheat by adding everything from Tabasco to peanut butter was enough to churn your stomach.

ayceejay

Guru
[QUOTE 3475190, member: 259"]The Chinese bloke I shared digs with for a couple of weeks used to put Bovril and a raw egg in his.:surrender:[/QUOTE]
Didn't that take an age to eat with chopsticks?:rofl:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Having read this I'm a bit worried that I'm overdoing the honey/syrup thing. I'll have a big bowl of porridge before a ride, a teaspoon just isn't enough. I'm looking at a dessert spoon. I particularly like it when I make the porridge a bit too milky. Then, no matter how hard I try, the honey kinda sinks to the bottom. The final scrapings are like freebasing castor sugar
I haven't read to the end of this thread - I'm still catching up - but if you don't have weight changing ambitions and if it gets you out and about and lasts until lunchtime (or dinner, if you're a weight weenie), then I find it hard to find a problem with the sweetness level.

Top Bottom