How do I make porridge less boring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Don't overdo it then! A teaspoon of syrup is fine, and if you're cycling you do need a certain amount of energy giving sugar.
With my ''bad science'' approach, I reckon the sugary stuff is fast energy, the dried or fresh fruit and nuts are quickish and the oats themselves are slower, providing energy quickly and for a long time. On the other hand, this may simply be a rationalisation because it tastes good like that, of course.;)

ayceejay

Guru
Make your porridge as a batch for the week and when cooked pour it into a flat baking tray and leave to settle. Using the back of a knife score lines into your porridge so that you have seven equal portion and put it in the fridge overnight. In the morning it will be quite solid.
At breakfast time put a large dollop of lard or bacon fat into a frying pan and wait for it to melt. When smoking drop one square of your pre prepared porridge in and fry until brown When you get bored you can add an egg, a sausage, black pudding or a kidney and when you are REALLY bored miss out the porridge.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
One of the joys of seaside summer holidays was the proper porridge served in the hotels. It formed into the shape of the dish and when covered with milk and sugar it was as delicious as that other holiday only food Horlicks! Then when we got home it was back to the Ready brek!:thumbsdown:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I know the purists here will probably shoot me down in flames:laugh:

But, after years and years of eating plain porridge made with either water or milk, I`m sick to death of it. I want to go on eating the stuff because it`s healthy. How does everybody else make it a bit more interesting??

I`m open to any ideas!

Assuming you already put just the right amount of salt in, and (sorry) sugar, or better, honey, then my secret ingredient is to dish it up, then stir in a bit more cold milk once it's in your bowl.
Sultanas an optional extra

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Porridge brands are most certainly not the same. Despite the fact that they can't spell it, Scott's Original Porage Oats are head and shoulders above the competition.

Too right! Quaker Oats are inedible. Some people bang on about the selection at Waitrose. Never tried them myself. It ain't broke, don't fix it.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
...or spooning it out of a beautiful woman's navel.....?

Reminds me of a guy who used to work for me. He'd (rather sheepishly to be fair) turned in a somewhat high expense bill for a meal, and also (to be fair) I'd sent him away on the trip at very short notice which was a bit inconvenient for him. I duly grumped at him, but signed it off, and it somehow went through. Next time he went on an overseas trip I told him to keep the lid on it a bit - to get a text back saying he was about to tuck into to a portion of caviar server from a maiden's naval. Cheeky monkey !

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Reminds me of a guy who used to work for me. He'd (rather sheepishly to be fair) turned in a somewhat high expense bill for a meal, and also (to be fair) I'd sent him away on the trip at very short notice which was a bit inconvenient for him. I duly grumped at him, but signed it off, and it somehow went through. Next time he went on an overseas trip I told him to keep the lid on it a bit - to get a text back saying he was about to tuck into to a portion of caviar server from a maiden's naval. Cheeky monkey !
Are you sure it wasn't just a bad phone line?????????
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/m...ES-BELUGA-CAVIAR-AND-PEA-SHOOT-COULIS-1268026

vickster

Legendary Member
Too right! Quaker Oats are inedible. Some people bang on about the selection at Waitrose. Never tried them myself. It ain't broke, don't fix it.
They changed the formulation, I now just use Tesco which are as Quaker were in my view. I don't like husky porridge, which seems to be what you get with Scotts - I have to cook for quite a long time. I have now, just a mix of skimmed milk and water for me. 2.5 mins, stir, 2 mins, stir, add some cold milk. No fruit or sugar here

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
You knowwwwwwww...I find that the best thing to remedy my own boredom with simplicity is to push the boundaries of simplicity to ridiculous levels. Sooooo, waht you really want to do is to eat something far more disgusting than the disgusting thing your eating and do it religiously for a month. After a month, return to previous with a lot of love in your heart for it. Probably save yourself a few ££ on useless faddy cr*p too :whistle:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Having read this I'm a bit worried that I'm overdoing the honey/syrup thing. I'll have a big bowl of porridge before a ride, a teaspoon just isn't enough. I'm looking at a dessert spoon. I particularly like it when I make the porridge a bit too milky. Then, no matter how hard I try, the honey kinda sinks to the bottom. The final scrapings are like freebasing castor sugar

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I find the best way to appreciate porridge/porage however spelt is to leave it in the box in the cupboard and fry a couple of nice fresh eggs for breakfast instead.

The P stuff is on my list if things that are not considered food such as the baked potato.

Top Bottom