How do I remove this derailleur?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zee

Veteran
Hey all,

I'm not sure whether I'm being exceptionally special at the moment but I'm stumped by how to remove the derailleur from this hanger.

http://imgur.com/a/pxsl3

As far as I can tell, there's no visible tool attachment, it almost seems like it was riveted onto the hanger. The hanger was formerly attached to a mid 70's 5-speed Raleigh if that helps at all.

Zee

edit: added rear view

There is no way of removing that de-railer from its hanger short of drilling out the rivet. And then it wouldn't go back on. It's the sort of de-railer which does not use a hanger - bolting on to the face of the drop out with the wheel nut and with the help the little bolt that fits in that little hole and a semi-circular back nut which butts up against the inside back edge of the drop out.
Can I say 'It's nasty and you should throw it away' without appearing to be a snob?

Reactions: Zee
OP
OP
Zee

Zee

Veteran
Cheers mickle, and yes you can. The derailleur was a paperweight until I realised I required the hanger for a chain tensioner. Well, bugger. Thanks for the quick reply!

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
£2 delivered on eBay!

OP
OP
Zee

Zee

Veteran
Yep I had a shop around now I know what I'd be looking for and made a last minute addition to the order I was about to put through at the Edinburgh bike coop. Pricier than ebay but took me over the the price to qualify for free delivery so happy with that. Many thanks all!

Top Bottom