How do I shorten my 9 speed chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gary P

Über Member
If you've seen my other post about 9 speed set up you'll know I'm reaching the end of my tether with this - however...

I'm going to try and shorten the chain by a couple of links and I know that Shimano 9 speeds have a special link. I've never done one before and can't find a link on line.

Will I need a new fastener link or can I re use the original?

ChrisKH

Guru
If you have one fitted currently, it's probably best to fit a new link. Some chains don't have them to start with, so bear this in mind. Plenty of helpful videos on Youtube and Park Tools may have a demonstration video. Research what chain you have before taking out the (potentially wrong) links.

I had the same problem on a new bike with a new chain and it was only after thorough research and preparation that I gathered the chain was the wrong speed and it was too long. Be sure to check that the chain itself doesn't need replacing.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
The 971 is fine for 9 speed, and your chain is likely to have a SRAM Power Link on it, which is reuseable and this shows how to use it. You will still need a chain tool to remove links obviously.

stevepratt48

With both SRAM, Tays, and Shimano, no problems spitting, removing links or rejoining, using a chain tool - just be careful that then rivet passes cleanly through (Remove tool, flex link back & forward, before final push!

Top Bottom